your complete kitchen for backpacking

Discuss commercially made camp kitchen items.
ConnieD

your complete kitchen for backpacking

Post by ConnieD » Tue Feb 22, 2011 5:48 pm

I am thinking about good weather a lot, lately.

Here is my "fair weather" wood fire outfit.

I have always liked a "twiggy fire" on mineral soil.

I have the folding bucket for extra water "just in case".

The "disks" are towels for washing up, and, for prefiltering water. I only carry one, because they expand so much as you can see. The light green towel is one. I do not actually filter water, if I am boiling water. I do have some packets Katadyn MP 1 - water purification tablets, if necessary. The stuff sack from my GSI Halulite Kettle is also useful for washing up, as the bottom portion of it may serve as a basin. The plastic cutter razor is for opening food packaging. The fire sparker is for starting the fire.

I frequently mix-and-match components of backpacking cooking systems.

This is one complete backpacking kitchen. I will have it weighed when I can get to the postoffice.

ConnieD

Re: your complete kitchen for backpacking

Post by ConnieD » Tue Feb 22, 2011 5:58 pm

Anyone else for "show-and-tell"?

Everything goes inside the Vargo Titanium Sierra 750 inside the GSI Halulite Ketalist stuff sack.

sudden

Post by sudden » Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:04 pm

I don't think it can get better than that :)
"People are not persuaded by what we say, but rather by what they understand."

zelph

Post by zelph » Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:20 pm

For a fire will you use 3-4 rocks to support your pot? RG's favorite :D

I used a stick and log combo to hold my pot over the fire for most of my adventures. That's going to change once I get my Kelly Kettle. I have many choices for wood burning. Too many. The folding stainless steel stove is a good candidate. Packs flat.
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

realityguy

Post by realityguy » Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:30 pm

I don't think Connie was interested in only wood burning..

Otherwise i would have said "the stick and the bean can ...unless one of da other hobos got sumptin special!"
:mrgreen: :lol:

I have so many sets..goes by what I cook,who goes,and what i really feel like eating and packing... :roll:
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

zelph

Post by zelph » Tue Feb 22, 2011 11:20 pm

I have so many sets..goes by what I cook,who goes,and what i really feel like eating and packing...
Complicated............I like easy!!!!! :D
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

ConnieD

Post by ConnieD » Tue Feb 22, 2011 11:23 pm

The little folding pot support is in the first photo.

I have used pebbles, never rocks. For some reason pebbles are a more secure support, than uneven rocks.

For the most part, a windscreen is essential.

This kitchen has no windscreen: a serious omission.

My avatar has my favorite windscreen, until zelph showed his video of raising his crinkle windscreen 3/4-inch and it produced a laminar flame. Now, I have one of his crinkle windscreens. I like how it looks good while it does the job, reused so many times. I have got a nice laminar flame.

DarenN's MK-1 firegrate is also about 3/4-inch off the ground. It burned everything except that sawn chunk of a pipe carver's cherrywood to a fine ash. I have got the Super Stove "double-flame" inside the MK1.

I am interested enough in zelph's folding Woodgaz stove to purchase it.

I am not done with stoves.

I also take a different kitchen for different conditions. I will post my other backpacking kitchens.

ConnieD

Post by ConnieD » Tue Feb 22, 2011 11:34 pm

Like the "speed or effeciency" thread discussion, an extremely helpful thread for backpacking food preparation, I would really like to see photos showing other people's backpacking kitchens.

I left out my zip lock type bags. I do use the freezerbag cooking method for a two-course meal.

Let's show everything for the food preparation we anticipate, from coffee only to "winter camp" and everything in between (e.g. for-one, for-two, whatever).

realityguy

Post by realityguy » Wed Feb 23, 2011 12:01 am

Well..these were probably a year ago..but somethings have changed..

The top one is a bake setup..the three wires are the potstand for that dual-mode stove..figure one flipper and not two and the handles have been cut down an inch.That's a candle lantern also that I don't generally carry...just use a 9led flashlight.
The second one has the bubblewrapped( taped on,including the lid..)ziploc container which usually goes for two..plus coffee,instant milk,and capucciano mix for coffee(if we want quick coffee before getting there).None of these show my press which usually fits inside the ziploc.(stove inside that with the plunger taken apart,utensils around the sides..just boil,no bake..eliminates the pot).As I've said..some things have changed...
I'll try to get something more recent up(might be in a backpack)..
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

ConnieD

Post by ConnieD » Wed Feb 23, 2011 11:49 am

In the second picture, I can see matches and a lighter.

What are the other items inside each pan?