your complete kitchen for backpacking

Discuss commercially made camp kitchen items.
zelph

Re: your complete kitchen for backpacking

Post by zelph » Thu Feb 24, 2011 1:56 pm

ConnieD wrote:Is anyone going to show us your complete kitchen for backpacking?

Is realityguy the only response?
Mine is packed away in my camper which is covered up for the winter :cry:

Winter, bahhhh humbug. I'm getting cabin fever.
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

ConnieD

Post by ConnieD » Thu Feb 24, 2011 2:55 pm

Go get it!

I started this thread, now, because I have cabin fever.

realityguy

Post by realityguy » Thu Feb 24, 2011 3:30 pm

Cabin fever..Yeah..we actually had snow today and even large sections of the freeway closed down last night because people were abandoning their cars and walking off when a blizzard ripped through the area and around us..not much here..but some areas got as much as 12" in a white-out in a short period of time.
Today we awoke to a whole 2-3" of snow here.I walked 5 blocks to the bank and a couple thrift stores with one of the two with a sign on the door of: "closed due to the extreme weather".Their parking lort was clear of 90% of snow and there was a light dusting of packed snow on the roads,most roads almost clear,and by the time I came back about 1-1/2 hours later the roads weretotally melted off and clear all the way.
I needed the walk.. :lol: ..and time to laugh at Washington's wimpy nutzo drivers...I'd drive..but there are just too many idiots on the road that can't but think they can.I followed one person yesterday at about 5mph into a parking lot that almost plowed into a building making a turn because he had his brakes locked up while attempting the turn.At the last possible second,he took his foot off the brake,and glided through the turn,grazing the bushes in front of the concrete wall of the building. :lol:
Next decent snowfall I think I'll pack a lounge chair and a thermos of Irish coffees,park my chair/ass on that corner,and have a good laugh for a couple hour.Videos anyone? :lol:
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

ConnieD

Post by ConnieD » Thu Feb 24, 2011 3:44 pm

wimpy nutzo drivers
yeah.

I am in town, and, it is dangerous to go out at all, driving or walking.

There is practically no snow this winter. But town people can't drive!

More your "complete kitchen for backpacking" please, so I can daydream about getting outside.

russb

Post by russb » Thu Feb 24, 2011 5:43 pm

Alright, alright. I will go get mine out and snap some photos.

russ
Attachments
3. Dual setup for summer.
3. Dual setup for summer.
2. Solo setup. Fast and Light.
2. Solo setup. Fast and Light.
1. Winter Setup, also for use on campfire.
1. Winter Setup, also for use on campfire.

Ridgerunner

Post by Ridgerunner » Thu Feb 24, 2011 6:24 pm

Yes Connie, I do not use water when I bake with my Optimus type oven setup. That is why a simmer is important to me and I have my best results with butane stoves for regulated flame control. I have had good result with a alcohol stove that simmers low also. Zelph uses a premeasured amount of water that willo eventually boil out at about the time the muffin is cone and ready to brown. He has it down to a fine science :lol:
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

ConnieD

Post by ConnieD » Thu Feb 24, 2011 6:56 pm

Thank you! russb.

Seeing these kits is giving me ideas, and, pleasant daydreams about getting outdoors.

I miss getting outdoors.

It's just that people have no sense: I can see that by all the smashed cars, vans, and trucks. For one thing, there are just too many vehicles in a town of 3,100 people; they just slide into each other.

I don't go out unless it is over 20 F, because there is more traction if it is over 20 F here in town. It hasn't been over 20 F for awhile.

I know if I were out on my property, I would be much happier. I can always snowshoe, or, snowcamp.

Ridgerunner, did you see the Hobo Biscuit Baking video on this thread?

You have experience with dry baking.

I already know how to make scones. Do you think I could make scones that way?

They are fancy biscuits, that's all.

Ridgerunner

Post by Ridgerunner » Thu Feb 24, 2011 7:44 pm

Ridgerunner, did you see the Hobo Biscuit Baking video on this thread?

You have experience with dry baking.

I already know how to make scones. Do you think I could make scones that way?

They are fancy biscuits, that's all.
ConnieD
Sure, why not?
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

ConnieD

Post by ConnieD » Thu Feb 24, 2011 7:45 pm

Oh, man! Scones are good!

realityguy

Post by realityguy » Thu Feb 24, 2011 9:32 pm

Couldn't find my sets.. :roll: ..anyhow I threw one together for Connie:

Weighs right around 1lb altogether but I would be adding a spork or 2 and a p38..might go with a lighter stove also.There are two bottles for heet but I usually pack the clear one with wesson oil(or one like it),so threw it in there.I'd also be packing spices so I'd still figure 1lb or 17oz.
Contains:Cascade 16oz cup,one of my japan bake pans that fits inside..a top screen "egg cooker"(for Dan!),the lid that fits the screen and the cup even with the bake pan inside.Also..windscreen,Altoids 3 burner stove for 4-5 heat/cooking options(with "fiddle-faddle tweezers" for pulling burner modules in and out of the stove)..has it's own folding potstand,a flipper, a Dan alcohol bottle..a lot more room inside.The container is the 1qt(?) ziploc one with a two-layered windshoield cover cozy...took about 15 minutes to cover a new one...
Sufficient for two people and baking,dual level cooking in the top steamer...
Add the weight of a stuff sack?..nah..throw it in plastic bread bag for an additional gram of weight or less.As far as the p38,fire stick, and knife..I carry them already on the pack on a carabiner but would throw in some matches in the kit in a small waterproof bottle,although the wife likes starting fires with the ferrostick. :lol:

Day hike coffee presses:

Two sets..plus the container on the right can pack a Dan Stove,windscreen,alcohol bottle,and a few stick matches squeezed in.(LUXOR aluminum bottle..old makeup powder mixing bottle???..perfect fit!)
Otherwise I can put a stove in the coffee press..disassembling the press itself to get everything inside.Dan's stove will fit in with the windscreen also..and a 2oz alcohol bottle.I can boil about 14oz of water in the presses,16oz to the top rim.One for each house...weigh 6-8oz packed with the stoves and that.If i take it in the ziploc,I've got room ,coffee,spices,and noodles for the meal,packed in vacuum bags. I usually just pack a separate heet bottle on trips longer than just a day hike..If I'm not baking and just making noodles and that,I can leave all the pans at home,just take the press,cooking the noodles and meal by residual heat in the ziploc.
No pans..ziploc with Dan stove,coffee press,windscreen,matches,spork..about 11oz.. with dry food meal(noodles) about 13oz probably.
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy