The Caldera Cone's 12-10 Alcohol Burner

Discuss commercially made camp kitchen items.
realityguy

Re: The Caldera Cone's 12-10 Alcohol Burner

Postby realityguy » Sun Dec 11, 2011 9:36 pm

You're right..I was mistaken..

Found some more canisters for those..marked Mini Mark III,Optimus 702(2,one in the upper picture) Prepo,and one marked Roberts...
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

zelph

Postby zelph » Mon Dec 12, 2011 10:20 am

thanks HJ for your insight into the operation of the burner and cone set-up. I'll be back later to comment more. Thanks again :D
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Mon Dec 12, 2011 2:44 pm

What I want to see is a support cone where the pot sits on two different levels..if you turn it upside down and use it that way with the pot farther away from the burner for simmering,right side up for boiling and having the pot closer to the burner.I use two stage burners(boil ring and simmer size burn levels in one burner that automatically shift down to a simmer size flame) and that would be ideal for that.My problem is I use a variety of pots,depending on what I'm cooking/baking/or whatever.I would need a different cone for each method of cooking unless the pot/pan/whatever...rests on the top edge of the cone.
Tha caldera works fine..with only one certain pot or type/diameter of pot that it supports..does that make sense?
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

Ridgerunner

Postby Ridgerunner » Mon Dec 12, 2011 5:00 pm

That is exactly what I would suggest HJ and Cuz. Use tent stakes for pot supports instead of it resting on the top of the cone. You could have different pot elevations that way. Cuz, I would think you could make a cone that works for different pot diameters just by overlapping the two ends of the cone until the top is at the diameter of your pot and maybe use a curtain pin at the top and one at the bottom to secure it closed and slide two tent stakes thru the cone to the desired height for your pot. The tricky part would be figuring where to place the tent stake/pot support holes so that they line up right for the different pots that you might use. It should be a relatively easy project. ;)
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

zelph

Postby zelph » Mon Dec 12, 2011 6:42 pm

Read up on my testing of the Feather Fire stove. don't recall which stove came first, the 12-10 or the feather. The feather is made just like 12-10, lets call it a knock-off.

I made the modified starlyte burner and it works great under a cone. Pot sits directly on the stove, cone comes within 1/4 inch of K-Mart grease pot. Pot can't come off the stove by accident. I named the kit Z-Mart Kit :D It's located in the Stove Factory forum. Some of my ideas come so fast I don't really take the time to market them at the time they appear. I was able to mass produce the cones on my poor mans DNC machine :D Only a few here know what that process is ;) Maybe I'll come out of retirement and become a competitor of the real kind :o

viewtopic.php?f=49&t=1290
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Mon Dec 12, 2011 7:01 pm

Okay..two extra heavy tent stakes I have to carry.. :cry:

:lol:

I do have my three different volume stacking stainless pots all the same diameter..guess I'll make something for fitting those and maybe add a bail to each one for picking up the handle-less pots.That way the bottom remains the same but the top extends more out the cone..defeating the purpose..okay..guess it's one for each one. :roll:
How about an adjustable extendable cone with 2-3 wingnuts/bolts/slots on each side for adjusting the middle's length.. :roll:

The Roberts and Gerry stoves..an improvement would be if the potstand points and the base actually screwed together on the edges creating a pod for the other parts..valve,burner,matches,etc..rather than just "fitting" together(and able to fall open).Maybe they got brighter later on about that and improved it..I don't know.

Ridgerunner

Postby Ridgerunner » Mon Dec 12, 2011 9:42 pm

Cuz, it wouldn't take YOU a New York minute to make a couple fitted bags like HJ's to keep it all contained. ;)
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Mon Dec 12, 2011 10:49 pm

A bag is one more thing to keep track of... :roll: I'm just saying..it would have been pretty cool if they had threaded those pieces..or even SNAP TOGETHER.. to make a nice packing container..dual purpose potstand and container.. Why carry extra junk to get lost?:DB:

Ridgerunner

Postby Ridgerunner » Thu Jan 05, 2012 9:39 pm

hikin_jim wrote:
Ridgerunner wrote:Jim, did you ever find out if you could get any of the adaptors for the Hank Roberts type stoves?

I've established that the individual I know can in fact make them -- and has already done it for a number of people. He's really busy though -- he does a lot of stove restorations and custom parts manufacture. Time and price is what I have to negotiate with him.

If they were, say, $20, would you be interested?

HJ

Jim, I believe you can find them cheaper on the web ;)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Camping-stove-gasoline-gas-oil-spare-gas-pipe-tube-S9-TK800-/110770651126?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item19ca71fff6

Ridgerunner

Postby Ridgerunner » Sat Jan 07, 2012 9:56 pm

This adapter fuel hose should allow you to breathe life into some of those vintage lanterns and stoves such as the Hank Parker and Coleman picnic stove unless you are realityguy and have a garage full of the old lp cannisters...... :lol:

Return to “Stoves, Cooksets and All Things Cooking”