The Caldera Cone's 12-10 Alcohol Burner

Discuss commercially made camp kitchen items.
zelph

Re: The Caldera Cone's 12-10 Alcohol Burner

Postby zelph » Tue Feb 21, 2012 10:46 pm

The 12-10 burner type has been around a long time. The Picka stove looks like the same type of design.

http://users.sisqtel.net/losthiker/pikastove/
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

zelph

Postby zelph » Fri Mar 02, 2012 7:58 pm

Hikers passed by since 11-23-2004

Pika stove website built 3-29-2003

Pika stove website updated 9-24-2008

zelph

Postby zelph » Fri Mar 09, 2012 8:53 am

Glad to help.

Final note: all stoves work well on the work bench, calm conditions and at eye level for observation and adjustment.

zelph

Postby zelph » Sat Mar 17, 2012 1:07 pm

Jim, get Ballowe to send you a White Box Stove and then do a review on that one. You need more experience with alcohol stoves. ;)

zelph

Postby zelph » Tue Mar 20, 2012 5:35 pm

And to think I was just about ready to send you one of each of my creations :lol:

You've got them coming out of your ears :mrgreen:

You'll have to build an addition onto your dwelling in order to house all of them.

zelph

Postby zelph » Wed Mar 21, 2012 11:16 pm

Bet you thought your project was going to be easy :D

Hope it's worth all the time and effort you put into it. How' your job search going?

ConnieD

Postby ConnieD » Thu Mar 22, 2012 12:26 pm

I think the Caldera Cone's 12-10 alcohol burner is inferior for the purpose, because it requires priming and that leads to flare ups and/or burning alcohol on the ground. I have said so.

...ah, getting paid.

I don't know how to get paid for "click-thrus" but that is where big money is.

For example, one west coast kid, literally, had a website about his interest in cellphones. He reviewed cellphones with all the enthusiasm of a kid writing about features he liked and didn't like.

The article I saw was in the newspaper. He made $50,000 starting the first year.

His parents admitted they helped him write the website code. They did not say if they knew how to get him paid for the click-thrus.

Anyway, I was inspired.

Here was a special interest website that paid well. I have a special interest.

My first year, REI ripped me off. Their webmaster had watched the traffic go back and forth from my website, my computer, and their website. I was literally ripped off on my advice of having gear for being able to stay overnight in the event of an emergency, even for a day hike or a walk away from your car in the high mountains or forests. It was lifted and put in REI Expert Advice. I complained in a forum. It was removed. How about acknowledgement instead. How about making me an REI Expert. How about acknowledgement. How about a link.

I put the copyright notice and all rights reserved notice on my website.

I went to one of the first REI ultralightweight gear classes. It was right off my website. The presenter said, privately, "You are Connie Dodson".

He was an REI Expert who got everything except a water bottle, off my website.

He had a great pack to test from Gossamer Gear.

How about a job. I asked the Manager. The Manager didn't want me, even so, older customers who could easily afford to make purchases were asking me advice about what to purchase in their store, every time I went in the store, while the young kids working at REI ignored them.

Wish: How about free gear to consider for adding to my website. <sigh>

I was at the international hostel at Ft. Mason in San Francisco, CA. It was time for lunch. I remarked I was surprised to see that particular vest, because people in this country don't know about that brand name. We talked. The young man said, loudly, "You are Connie Dodson". Everyone stopped talking and looked. I realised he was dressed just like me. And so, was practically everyone else there. Here was this young man and this white-haired lady talking. He said he greatly admired my website. Out front of the building, I said, "OMG, you are me!" We laughed.

Backpacking Magazine ripped me off, featuring UL gear in their Special Gear Issue. Not only did they feature UL I was trying to make mainstream, I think it was 6 of 9 photos of ultralightweight gear were of gear right off my website, no one anywhere else was talking about. Before that, there were almost no photos of any product, only a photo or two for each section heading.

Really? Yes, my website features any gear, worldwide, that has information available online in English. I even have links. I have had two manufacturers start North American Distributorships over "clicks" from my website.

I had a manufacturer ask me to be a North American Distributer. I wrote back. I don't have any money.

I am for all practical purposes homeless, living in a cheap apartment when I can get it. I am a handicapped person (neurological impairments - physical disability) trying hard to support myself. The rest is slander. I am convinced most people secretly hate happy and competant people, like me. I think so.

The first year I advertised in Google AdWords, I placed my add on search terms for the greatest impact everywhere English is spoken or read worldwide.

Google actually got a complaint from the man my remarks were aimed at, but not named.

Since he was a big advertiser, Google actually sent me an email offering "no charge" if they removed my AdWords ad, not change it, remove it. The only thing it said was "comprehensive information about UL backpacking for free". The man was making big $$$$ selling his books. One search term I had selected was his "slogan". Why? I was taking on all his stupidity that put people so at risk, rescuers had to risk their lives to save them. I think it was him. I never named him. However, it was clear my website was aimed at getting accurate information to his readers. Nevertheless, when he brought out his revised edition, I mention his website under DIY/MYOG.

My website was being read.

Next, "someone-you-know" had an eBook. I purchased it. It had portions lifted straight from my website. The preface and the subsequent email with "whats-his-name" was basically: who knows where information comes from. I said nothing publically until the "guide" program had so many complaints. Even so, my remarks were limited to the subject.

My criticisms only appear in forums.

I criticised Bear Grylls on one forum. I am surprised my criticisms haven't been deleted.

I know there is so much more I could say.

I criticised MSR component stoves, when a YouTube video for "survivalists" touted MSR as the most reliable stove you could have. They are not. They always fail if you use them more than one paid trekking trip, or one season, or try to use them for two seasons of real use. Every model I purchased failed. Every new model was going to be better. Never was.

This new competitor's new component stove is better because it solved the big problems. The tubing inside the fuel container need to be replaceable. Then, it would be a "reliable" stove worth the price.

But my website isn't about reviewing stoves.

My website is about getting good information out.

The products I do not mention are worth notice. I have no GoreTex because GoreTex doesn't endure the normal use of the products made with GoreTex and no product "revives" it. I have DWR, because products with DWR can be "renewed" without any special skill.

My even-handedness, and knowledge, were quietly acknowledged.

Canada has a national program "Adventure Smart" from the remark on my website: there is adventure smart and adventure stupid I had, because Canadas Mountains I featured in the photo credits on the panorama photo that appeared on my website, with premission, had links to mountain scrambling. I had previously emailed him why I did not approve of mountain scrambing. He went into a real tailspin when his dear friend was killed. I put up a different panorama, because my link was basically going to a not maintained website. But he it revived eventually. His website is about his panorama photos from the top of mountains. He had won national recognition for his website. It is a great website. He is back, but I didn't want to push his website because he continued to link to a mountain scrambling website.

Meanwhile Everest News offered me a contract for click-thru's with fees for a click and 40% of any sales resulting from the click. They would do the tracking.

I realised this is what I was looking for.

These click-thrus are, basically, acknowledging you are a retailer.

I didn't do it, because I stupidly got the idea "any sales" implied I would have to put products on my website I refuse to have on my website. I was an idiot.

I was so inexperienced, I missed my chance to get started be having one "click-thru" agreement lead to another and another as I found out how they actually work in reality. Experience would teach me, how to ask. Experience would teach me, what was necessary for the tracking.

I have no cookies and no "counter" web bugs, because "counters" harvest much more information than disclosed, information sold to advertisers. You have a web bug "free" counter. They sell and resell the information they harvest. You can find out the traffic statistics without a counter on your website or on your Blog. Google the domain name for the online statistics. I have "script-kiddy" friends online, who showed me what cookies and counters actually harvest. I will not have a website host that puts a web bug on my website, either. Free software will reveal web bugs. For that reason, my website is reviewed as a "safe" website.

I also have a children-friendly website rating, getting one strike against me for having three underwear links. I removed the underwear links, but I put up one page about hygiene under "national parks". So far, my "kid-friendly" rating is high. Maybe my remarks have not been noticed?

From the start, I made a website that screen-readers can use.

My HTML is sloppy, but it works on all screenreaders. I also have ALT descriptions with every photo. That is also a part of having a reading-handicapped website.

My website is totally handicapped-friendly.

I even have the pages keep a percentage of the display size so the print gets quite reasonably larger without asking for larger print, if you have a big display screen. Then, you can ask for larger print and have significantly larger print without having to purchase special large print software. Some people with really low vision still need the really large print software, but they also need the blue-violet on black display.

How do I know? I spent years at the Computer Lab at Lighthouse for the Blind and Print Handicapped. I had a head injury in a car wreck. I am disabled for reading and for writing. Everything I write, I spend countless hours refining so it is "readable".

I helped develop "transitional HTML" so screen-readers would not be left behind.

My first website domain name had the best search hits, because the W3C webmaster followed me back to our little HTML Discussion Board, suggesting I have better search terms.

The first time I did not get the domain renewal email, a website harvester purchased my domain name, demanding $30,600 from me to buy it back. Needless to say, I have a new domain name, and I had to start over.

I don't think I will ever get first page Google search.

By then, ultralight backpacking was becomming mainstream.

I ought to know. I pushed it into mainstream, internationally.

Have I had more offers for "click-thrus"? No.

Have I had more rip-offs of text off my website and off the forums where I participate?

Yes, considerably more! and off copyrighted forums.

I have mentioned "the good stuff" and "the bad stuff".

If you can navigate all that better than me, you can make big $$$$$

Review everything: be lukewarm about things you don't like, make constructive criticism about things that are unacceptable (suggesting improvement), rarely say something is no good, or refuse to review it (making excuses).

Maybe you could make more than $2 a day?

There is also accepting Google Ads, but Google Ads are the worst for "ultralight" with "ultralight" 10 lb flimsy blow-out nylon "camping tents" and like that.

I know I couldn't have Google Ads or paid ads, because I refuse to write about zip-off pants with zippers that are placed behind your knees (like Chris Townsend).

I just feel "life is too short" for me to bother with things I consider inferior.

I like writing about "the good stuff" and so my website is about "the good stuff".

Whatever you do, keep the Blog format because Google gives active Blogs higher ratings for Search terms, placing you on the first search page that comes up... so ask other successful traffic Bloggers, that have ads, how to get that set up for your Blog topic.

They just might tell you how: How to inquire. What to write. Who.

One man, unsolicited, told me to have a newletter subscribers to get more "hits". In his email to me, he told me to tease the reader to go to the website for more information. He now has newsletter that, in my opinion, only teases the reader who hopes to get solid information and solid advice at his website and the information isn't there because he doesn't know much about his subject.

One person, offered an eBook (shortly after I got up my Google Ad, right next to my Google Ad placement) with practically no useful information. I put up a Google Ad. I get ripped off right away. I think probably everyone does.

What you have to do, is be ready with an eBook because someone will try to sell practically no information on your subject.

I have been told to write an eBook to sell, for offline reading.

I have tried PDF converters. They don't look really good. At least, I shortened most of my webpages to fit a PDF.

I have eBook readers. The page is too small to keep reading. At least, my paragraphs and the words and terminology I choose look interesting enough to keep reading the webpage. But I know I need to offer an eBook.

I would like to self-publish an attractive eBook with photos.

I got criticised for my present panorama photo in public domain.

I am trying to get there.

I would like to make money off my website.

I am just totally unwilling to accept ads for any product I know is inferior.

You could say my website is about "only the best". That man must have a lot of expendable income for the gear he features on his YouTube videos. I am convinced he harvests my website. No one has that many coincidences.

Meanwhile, I keep making gear like what I see, purchasing what I really like, and writing about it. I also rely heavily on 50 years experience.

ConnieD

Postby ConnieD » Fri Mar 23, 2012 1:03 pm

Here is an interesting video about modifying the 12-10 Alcohol Burner.

How to modify Trail Designs 12-10 Alcohol Stove to adjustable

zelph

Postby zelph » Fri Mar 23, 2012 2:15 pm

I don't see anyone adjusting the flame while out in the real world. Setting up camp, making a meal using a simmer mode to do rice for one hour. I don't think so. Might as well get one of those tiny remote fueled stoves.

ConnieD

Postby ConnieD » Fri Mar 23, 2012 6:48 pm

I knew I shouldn't have posted that. :)

But people say they want simmer stoves... me too.

The fact is, for what I want, I can lift the pan off the backpacking stove I use to regulate the temperature.

Return to “Stoves, Cooksets and All Things Cooking”