Hamburger Rocks

Discuss favorite methods and recipes
zelph

Hamburger Rocks

Postby zelph » Sun Aug 10, 2008 10:17 am

Found this while surfing my favorites:

RECIPE FOR HAMBURGER ROCKS

1. Using a large skillet (cast iron is great), brown and fry 5 pounds of ground beef. When thoroughly cooked, transfer the meat to a colander. Rinse under hot running water to remove the fat. Then clean the skillet with paper towels to remove excess fat from the first cooking.

2. Place the washed meat back into the wiped skillet and fry it again over medium/low heat, stirring often until you see no more steam. Keep the heat/flame low once the rocks are browning up nicely.

3. Place the "twice cooked" rocks into an oven roasting pan. Turn the oven to 200 degrees F, stirring and turning occasionally as the meat continues to dry. One to two hours should finish the job. Remove from the oven and check for dryness. When cool, pack into zip lock bags or mason jars. Pack tightly, expelling as much air as possible. Store in pantry drawers or shelves.

4. To "can" the hamburger rocks for long term storage, preheat canning jars in the over at 250 F, simmer the lids as usual, put the "rocks" into the jars while still hot, then seal the jars. After 15 minutes or so the jars will cool and you will hear the jar lids "pop" as they seal in place.
"Nothing Ventured Nothing Gained" stove store = http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

Ridgerunner

Re: Hamberger Rocks

Postby Ridgerunner » Sun Aug 10, 2008 4:10 pm

Same priciple I used for years to make venison jerky; even from ground venison at times. I scrounged up 2 extra oven racks and lined the four racks with foil and would dry the meat with the door slightly ajar for several hours. Vacuum sealers would also work great to store your ground meats. Good tip, Zelph ;) Might have called it "Hamburger Gravel" though. :lol:
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

zelph

Postby zelph » Sun Aug 10, 2008 5:27 pm

Ridgerunner wrote:Same priciple I used for years to make venison jerky; even from ground venison at times. I scrounged up 2 extra oven racks and lined the four racks with foil and would dry the meat with the door slightly ajar for several hours. Vacuum sealers would also work great to store your ground meats. Good tip, Zelph ;) Might have called it "Hamburger Gravel" though. :lol:

Yeh, it's time to start packing some dried goodies for this fall. I spend alot more time on the trails after 1st frost. Today I received my order of dried goodies from a lady at church. She initiates a order every year so she can purchase in bulk from a major supplier that supplies to all the "Big" users. I'll get some photos of it soon and also get the name of the wholesale house.

Next month I'll try the gravel making technique :D or yous. I'll use the non-stick aluminum foil, the stuff works great.

Pure Mahem

Postby Pure Mahem » Sun Aug 10, 2008 7:11 pm

I made some up a couple of weeks ago!! I used 95% lean ground beef. I cooked it once drained it in a clolander until all the grease had stopped dripping and then put it in my dehydrator and let it rip!! When it was done I used that new ziploc freezer bag vacuum packing dodad and bagged it and put it in the freezer! I used the reusable bag vacuum thing because I open and close the bag a lot. My bag is about half gone and boy is it good stuff!! If I were storing it for more long term I'd use the foodsaver vacuum sealer on it. But this ziploc dodad works okay but it doesn't compare to the foodsaver. The ziploc dodads in my experience the bags don't keep the vacuum hold like the foodsavers do! :mrgreen:
"Lad I don't know where you've been. But, I see you won first prize!"

Pure Mahem

Postby Pure Mahem » Sun Aug 10, 2008 7:14 pm

I also have dried some canned vegetables for use in my Ramen on the trail. Green Beans, peas, carrots, corn and kidney beans. I won't do the kidney beans again they didn't dry right and turned to a powdery substance. I dried some blueberrys for trail mix and pancakes. Then end of the month it will be time to pick tomtoes here by the bushel at the local vegetable stand and I want to try and make my own tomatoe powder. I'll have to let you all know how it turns out. :mrgreen:
"Lad I don't know where you've been. But, I see you won first prize!"

Ridgerunner

Postby Ridgerunner » Sun Aug 10, 2008 7:58 pm

Pure Mahem wrote:I also have dried some canned vegetables for use in my Ramen on the trail. Green Beans, peas, carrots, corn and kidney beans. I won't do the kidney beans again they didn't dry right and turned to a powdery substance. I dried some blueberrys for trail mix and pancakes. Then end of the month it will be time to pick tomtoes here by the bushel at the local vegetable stand and I want to try and make my own tomatoe powder. I'll have to let you all know how it turns out. :mrgreen:

PM, pictures say a thousand words! Show us how it turns out. ;) How were your blueberrys ? I always throw a handful of the frozen or fesh ones in with my blueberry pancake mix at home. I'm definitely going to have to try dehydrating some for the fall trips . ;)
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

DarenN

Re: Hamburger Rocks

Postby DarenN » Sun Aug 10, 2008 8:06 pm

nobody mentioned seasoning of any kind. maybe a dry jerky spice mix, used sparingly?

Daren.....
"I'd rather be happy than right." Slartibartfast

zelph

Re: Hamburger Rocks

Postby zelph » Mon Aug 11, 2008 9:29 am

DarenN wrote:nobody mentioned seasoning of any kind. maybe a dry jerky spice mix, used sparingly?

Daren.....

Never even thought of that, wow, go idea Daren, thanks!!!!! :D I saw some at the store Friday. The seasoning I used last year was so "Tasty" I ate the meat and never made it into Jerky :lol: :lol: :lol: True story!!!!

russb

Postby russb » Mon Aug 11, 2008 9:59 am

I have in my freezer some beef burrito gravel I made and dehydrated. So yes, seasoned beef works great. Also, I use extremely lean beef to start and don't do the "rinse with water" thing. I have never had a problem.

zelph

Postby zelph » Mon Aug 11, 2008 10:28 am

russb wrote:I have in my freezer some beef burrito gravel I made and dehydrated. So yes, seasoned beef works great. Also, I use extremely lean beef to start and don't do the "rinse with water" thing. I have never had a problem.

Did you use an oven or other? Did you use burrito seasoning in the packet form or original recipe?

I recently used ground round for burgers on the grille, Yuk!!! Too lean!!! I suppose the seasoning will cover up the taste or maybe even make it better.

Return to “Freezer Bag Cooking”