Hamburger Rocks

Discuss favorite methods and recipes
russb

Re: Hamberger Rocks

Postby russb » Mon Aug 11, 2008 10:59 am

I cooked the ground beef in the seasoning (specifically Old ElPaso Chipotle Taco Seasoning). After I dumped it into a colander lined with papertowel. I tossed it around a bit and then spread it on my dehydrator trays.

You definitely need seasoning and/or fat especially with grilled meats.

dlarson
Site Admin

Re: Hamburger Rocks

Postby dlarson » Mon Aug 11, 2008 4:50 pm

I got a dehydrator and vacuum bagger for my birthday earlier this summer and haven't used them yet.
Do you think cooking -> draining -> dehydrating would be sufficient for the 90% lean hamburger?

I'd also like to do some veggies but I was wondering about canned vs fresh. For example, fresh peas would be need to be cooked (I assume) before dehydrating but I could just drain and dry the canned ones?
"Hiking is just walking where it's O.K. to pee." -Demetri Martin

zelph

Postby zelph » Mon Aug 11, 2008 6:01 pm

dlarson wrote:I got a dehydrator and vacuum bagger for my birthday earlier this summer and haven't used them yet.
Do you think cooking -> draining -> dehydrating would be sufficient for the 90% lean hamburger?

I'd also like to do some veggies but I was wondering about canned vs fresh. For example, fresh peas would be need to be cooked (I assume) before dehydrating but I could just drain and dry the canned ones?

I think russb would agree to the 90% + drain + dehyd.

I would think you could use fresh peas. cooked ones may turn to powder once dried. Sarbar might know. Where is Sarbar?
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

DarenN

Postby DarenN » Mon Aug 11, 2008 6:36 pm

zelph wrote:I would think you could use fresh peas. cooked ones may turn to powder once dried. Sarbar might know. Where is Sarbar?

gone for a walk? ;) :mrgreen:

wisenfeldt.........

(hiemer is my cousin)
"I'd rather be happy than right." Slartibartfast

russb

Postby russb » Mon Aug 11, 2008 7:04 pm

dlarson, I use 93% or 95% lean, but prob 90% would be good enough.

As for peas, I believe fresh ones would need to be blanched.

Canned peas are disgusting before dehydration/rehydration I can't imagine they get better... yeaaach.

Sarbar recommends harmony house foods, I think she is on to something there.

Pure Mahem

Postby Pure Mahem » Mon Aug 11, 2008 7:40 pm

That method works great cook drain dehydrate! Canned vegetables all come out great except kidney beans. If you use fresh ones I would blanch them first as if you were going to can them. I wouldn't cook them completely. My blueberries came out great but they are decieving. because they don't look dry. My next batch I'll have to check them more closely. Pics are kind of a thing of the past because they don't load with my dial up I have now. But, when the time comes I'll see if I can use a friends broadband back in the Urban area or steal some broadband with my laptop on a visit around that time. Dial up is a real inconvenience, can't even watch movies anymore or large photos real PITA!!! :mrgreen:
"Lad I don't know where you've been. But, I see you won first prize!"

oops56

Postby oops56 » Mon Aug 11, 2008 8:03 pm

Pure Mahem wrote:That method works great cook drain dehydrate! Canned vegetables all come out great except kidney beans. If you use fresh ones I would blanch them first as if you were going to can them. I wouldn't cook them completely. My blueberries came out great but they are decieving. because they don't look dry. My next batch I'll have to check them more closely. Pics are kind of a thing of the past because they don't load with my dial up I have now. But, when the time comes I'll see if I can use a friends broadband back in the Urban area or steal some broadband with my laptop on a visit around that time. Dial up is a real inconvenience, can't even watch movies anymore or large photos real PITA!!! :mrgreen:

Get program called start up cop. You can shut ever thing off that you dont need to use. It do on start ever time if need to use just click on the progam it boot up so you can use . Plus your compture will start up faster and its free.Might help on you dail up
Man play with fire man get burnt

Ridgerunner

Postby Ridgerunner » Mon Aug 11, 2008 9:23 pm

Pics are kind of a thing of the past because they don't load with my dial up I have now. But, when the time comes I'll see if I can use a friends broadband back in the Urban area or steal some broadband with my laptop on a visit around that time

PM, I have the same dialup issues and find to post pics, videos and watch videos, I just load them on a flashcard and head to the library for highspeed access.

As far as 90% ground beef goes. It will work fine. The leaner the beef, the easier it is to cook the fat out of it. Fat does not hold up well when dehydrated and will turn rancid at a much quicker rate than dried beef. I have used 80% beef before and drained the fat off of it and then ran HOT water over it in a strainer to remove as much grease as possible. ;)
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

dlarson
Site Admin

Postby dlarson » Tue Aug 12, 2008 9:03 pm

Thanks for all the input folks! Lots of great dehydrating information. I'll have to try it out here soon.

*off topic*
oops56 wrote:Get program called start up cop. You can shut ever thing off that you dont need to use. It do on start ever time if need to use just click on the progam it boot up so you can use . Plus your compture will start up faster and its free.Might help on you dail up

Windows XP already has a startup program called MSConfig. Microsoft removed it for some strange reason with Windows 2000 but it's also in Windows 98.
Go to Start -> Run -> type msconfig and hit the OK button to access it. Go to the Startup tab to shut off programs that start when your computer boots.

To further control what's running on your computer use the Services panel (I think this is only in Windows XP Pro).
Right click the task bar -> Select Properties -> Click the Start Menu tab -> Click Customize -> Click the Advanced tab -> Scroll to System Administrative Tools and tick the box labeled Display on the All Programs Menu and Start Menu

Once you've done that you can go to Administrative Tools in your Start Menu and select Services. You'll find a huge list of processes that run in the background of your computer but if you don't know what they do don't mess with them. You can right click the item and select Properties to stop the service and then change the run setting from Automatic to Manual or Disabled. In theory Manual will allow the service to run if it is requested by a program but otherwise it is not started when the computer starts. Disabled will not allow the service to run ever.
For example, if you don't have a printer or any software that uses the printing service (Like Primo PDF) you can safely shut off the Print Spooler service.

Of course, tweaks like these can squeeze a little more power out of your machine but they may not have much affect on your internet download/upload times. Theoretically and old computer is just as fast as a new one for web surfing. However, client side functions like rendering the web page code or storing and running Javascript/AJAX will be completed more quickly by a faster machine.
"Hiking is just walking where it's O.K. to pee." -Demetri Martin

zelph

Postby zelph » Tue Aug 12, 2008 9:30 pm

:o What!!!!!

Just kidding :mrgreen:

It's too late in the evening to try it ;)
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

Return to “Freezer Bag Cooking”