Boiling Ground beef

Discuss favorite methods and recipes
zelph

Boiling Ground beef

Postby zelph » Tue Nov 06, 2007 8:46 pm

Yesterday my wife boiled up 2 pounds of ground beef in preparation for making meals ahead of time and to put them in the freezer for future use. It was the first time she boiled ground beef. she was very pleased at the results. all grease went to the surface of the water just like when chicken is boiled. I did a word search on WB and found nothing for boiled ground beef in the cooking forum.

Has anyone here used this method in preparation for dehydrating ground beef?

I will boil some tomorrow and try dehydrating it. I will then rehydrate and consume :D
"Nothing Ventured Nothing Gained" stove store = http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

sarbar

Re: Boiling Ground beef

Postby sarbar » Tue Nov 06, 2007 9:32 pm

Works good, and yes, getting rid of the fat keeps the dried meat fresher!
Freezer Bag Cooking, Trail Cooking, Recipes, Gear and Beyond:
http://www.freezerbagcooking.com

zelph

Postby zelph » Tue Nov 06, 2007 10:57 pm

sarbar wrote:Works good, and yes, getting rid of the fat keeps the dried meat fresher!

Thanks Sarbar, Im on the right track. cool!!!!!!

Ridgerunner

Postby Ridgerunner » Sat Nov 10, 2007 11:55 am

We boil ground beef all the time as part of the recipe for making Cincinnati Style Chili. It is on my list of things to do as far as dehydrating Cincy Chili for backpacking. Just rehydrate it with some plain Ramen Noodles and shred some cheddar cheese and you have a 3-way in the woods! ;) Add beans and onions when boiling the chili and you have a 5-way and plenty of gas to push you up the mountain :lol:
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

zelph

Postby zelph » Sat Nov 10, 2007 6:45 pm

Ridgerunner wrote:We boil ground beef all the time as part of the recipe for making Cincinnati Style Chili. It is on my list of things to do as far as dehydrating Cincy Chili for backpacking. Just rehydrate it with some plain Ramen Noodles and shred some cheddar cheese and you have a 3-way in the woods! ;) Add beans and onions when boiling the chili and you have a 5-way and plenty of gas to push you up the mountain :lol:

Thanks for the cincci tip. I'm going to try that tomorrow, sounds good. I'll call it ramenili :o I'll pass on the beans :D

Ridgerunner

Postby Ridgerunner » Sat Nov 10, 2007 11:34 pm

Zelph, let me know how it turns out. I fantasized about a 3-way at Clingmans Dome this past spring. Seems like it would be easy to make. ;)
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

Mags

Postby Mags » Tue Nov 13, 2007 10:26 am

When I had a dehydrator (I really do need to get another one. Sigh), that is how I used to make my "jerky".

Get some lean meat, boil to get rid of the fat as Sabar suggested, add my spices, dehydrate. mmmm mmmm
The true harvest of my life is intangible.... a little stardust caught, a portion of the rainbow I have clutched
--Thoreau
http://www.pmags.com
http://www.redbubble.com/people/pmags/art

zelph

Postby zelph » Tue Nov 13, 2007 12:11 pm

Ridgerunner wrote:Zelph, let me know how it turns out. I fantasized about a 3-way at Clingmans Dome this past spring. Seems like it would be easy to make. ;)

Bummer!!! didn't have any ramen.

Used 2 cans black beans, 2 cans stewed tomatos. 1 pkg chili seasoning, one sauted onion, black pepper and salt to taste. Added one preboiled package of ground beef(2+ cups)

It was good!!!! By the end of the day it was gone :D

I have to restock my ramen supplies.

Is it time for lunch yet? :D

Mags, what cut of meat do you use for your jerky? After it's boiled how do you add the spices and is it a liquid commercial spice or your own concoction?

Ridgerunner

Postby Ridgerunner » Tue Nov 13, 2007 9:02 pm

Zelph, As a meatcutter for 30 years, I would suggest using very lean cuts of beef or venison. I usually recommend top round roast and then slice it about an 1/8" thick and i dry it in the thin sliced slabs and then use kitchen shears to cut into strips after ithas been dried. My marinades tend to differ slightly each time I make it. The recipe I usually give out to friends is the following:
1 bottle low sodium soy sauce
1 bottle low sodium teriyaki sauce
1 tsp onion powder
1 tsp. garlic powder
1 tsp ginger
1 TBS course black pepper
I mix my marinade and then add a little to each layer of meat in the bottom of a large tupperware container. I usually do 5 -8 lbs each time I make it. I will let the marinated meat sit in the fride for 2-4 days, flpping the container over each time I get in the fridge. I have two large dehydraters but usually only use one. When layering the meat on the dehydrater trays, I liberally sprinkle coarse black pepper on the meat(I love the stuff). My two dehydraters were both Goodwill purchases and one is an American Harvester Gardenmaster which I think will hold 20 trays. I have added many trays thru ebay and thrift store purchases. Before the dehydraters, I would make jerky by covering 4 oven racks with foil and lining the bottom of the oven with foil( to keep any mess off the bottom of the oven and keep me out of the doghouse with my wife. Then I would just set the oven to its lowest setting and crack the door with a spatchula to let the moisture out and allow the meat to dry quicker. The relatives come out of the woodwork when the word gets out that i have made some jerky. It doesn't last long. I have to "hide" some if I want to take any camping or hunting.

zelph

Postby zelph » Tue Nov 13, 2007 10:57 pm

Ridgerunner wrote:Zelph, As a meatcutter for 30 years, I would suggest using very lean cuts of beef or venison. I usually recommend top round roast and then slice it about an 1/8" thick and i dry it in the thin sliced slabs and then use kitchen shears to cut into strips after ithas been dried. My marinades tend to differ slightly each time I make it. The recipe I usually give out to friends is the following:
1 bottle low sodium soy sauce
1 bottle low sodium teriyaki sauce
1 tsp onion powder
1 tsp. garlic powder
1 tsp ginger
1 TBS course black pepper
I mix my marinade and then add a little to each layer of meat in the bottom of a large tupperware container. I usually do 5 -8 lbs each time I make it. I will let the marinated meat sit in the fride for 2-4 days, flpping the container over each time I get in the fridge. I have two large dehydraters but usually only use one. When layering the meat on the dehydrater trays, I liberally sprinkle coarse black pepper on the meat(I love the stuff). My two dehydraters were both Goodwill purchases and one is an American Harvester Gardenmaster which I think will hold 20 trays. I have added many trays thru ebay and thrift store purchases. Before the dehydraters, I would make jerky by covering 4 oven racks with foil and lining the bottom of the oven with foil( to keep any mess off the bottom of the oven and keep me out of the doghouse with my wife. Then I would just set the oven to its lowest setting and crack the door with a spatchula to let the moisture out and allow the meat to dry quicker. The relatives come out of the woodwork when the word gets out that i have made some jerky. It doesn't last long. I have to "hide" some if I want to take any camping or hunting.

Will the butchers perform the slicing in the deli departments? I would suppose so.

The ingrediants sound yummy, got to try it soon. small batch first.

does the marinade get rid of the wild taste when you use venison?

Thanks for the recipes!!! You're OK. :)

Return to “Freezer Bag Cooking”