Boiling Ground beef

Discuss favorite methods and recipes
Ridgerunner

Re: Boiling Ground beef

Postby Ridgerunner » Tue Nov 27, 2007 5:25 pm

Venison with fat still on it will be boiled in it's marinade and then eaten like hot roast beef sandwiches Some of it will be dried and then rehydrated to see how it tastes.

Venison with no fat on it will be made into jerky.

I never did aquire a taste for venison. Never had a good chef prepare it I guess. Venison sausage is always good I'm going to give it another try by using the marinade mask. It worked well on the beef, I think it will work well on the venison.

I fool deer haters all the time when cooking venison. After their second helpings, I let them know they just ate the venison that they hate so much. Then the truth comes out----"it's just the "idea" of eating bambi" . They have no problem with eating Elsie the cow's t-bone steaks :lol: Both animals eat the same grain from the fields in alot of cases. You are right though, Zelph---A good cook can make a big difference. Does are milder flavored than bucks and Bucks harvested during the rut are strongest flavored and toughest. Always use onion to help mask any wild taste. i sometimes will use garlic and just about always use coarse black pepper. Some people will soak their venison in milk overnight to take away any gamey taste. When I fix a venison roast, you would swear you were eating prime beef. ;) I cook it in the crock pot with potatoes and carrots with a sliced onion covering the top of the roast. I will put some powdered beef soup stock in the bottom and add a couple cups of water. I might put a few other seasonings on the outside of the roast.------turns out great everytime.
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

zelph

Postby zelph » Tue Nov 27, 2007 5:47 pm

Ridgerunner wrote:

I fool deer haters all the time when cooking venison. After their second helpings, I let them know they just ate the venison that they hate so much. Then the truth comes out----"it's just the "idea" of eating bambi" . They have no problem with eating Elsie the cow's t-bone steaks :lol: Both animals eat the same grain from the fields in alot of cases. You are right though, Zelph---A good cook can make a big difference. Does are milder flavored than bucks and Bucks harvested during the rut are strongest flavored and toughest. Always use onion to help mask any wild taste. i sometimes will use garlic and just about always use coarse black pepper. Some people will soak their venison in milk overnight to take away any gamey taste. When I fix a venison roast, you would swear you were eating prime beef. ;) I cook it in the crock pot with potatoes and carrots with a sliced onion covering the top of the roast. I will put some powdered beef soup stock in the bottom and add a couple cups of water. I might put a few other seasonings on the outside of the roast.------turns out great everytime.

See that!!! You are a great chef, I can tell ;) . They use crock pots and pressure cookers and the right herbs and spices(fresh ground pepper corns and minced onions) I've had my share of gamy, wild tasting venison. I'll keep my eyes open for some fresh road kill, now that I've progressed to meatcutter :D In "63" when President Kennedy was shot, I was in a Jewel Food Store beggining to serve an apprenticeship as a meatcutter. Job did'nt last long, too cold of an occupation :D
"Nothing Ventured Nothing Gained" stove store = http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

Ridgerunner

Postby Ridgerunner » Tue Nov 27, 2007 9:57 pm

See that!!! You are a great chef, I can tell . They use crock pots and pressure cookers and the right herbs and spices(fresh ground pepper corns and minced onions) I've had my share of gamy, wild tasting venison. I'll keep my eyes open for some fresh road kill, now that I've progressed to meatcutter In "63" when President Kennedy was shot, I was in a Jewel Food Store beggining to serve an apprenticeship as a meatcutter. Job did'nt last long, too cold of an occupation

I definitly can cook. Mom had me helping in the kitchen as a young man and also took the ol' bachleor living class in high school ! :lol: It is said that my cooking is the main reason my brother-in-law enjoys our spring and fall hunting trip. Pick up alot of good ideas from other campers also. Hey, that Mountain Man's Breakfast was awesome---now it is part of my menu also. I might incorporate some sausage gravy in the mix next time I make it.

In the summer, meatcutter's enjoy working in cooler conditions and in the winter, you just layer clothes. ;) Being fair complected, I'd rather be in refrigeration that out in the August heat any day.
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

zelph

Postby zelph » Mon Dec 03, 2007 2:47 pm

This batch of venisnon turned out just great. The marinate took away the gamey taste as expected. whoohoo!!!! I won't turn away any more venison when it's offered :)

This batch sucked up all the marinade. I boiled a pot full of meat and was pleased with the taste. It was half as tasty/tangy/jerky tasting as the batch of beef that I did. Next time more marinade for sure for that jerky taste.

The tray of venison looked bloody rather than the color of the soy sauce marinade so I opted to boil all the meat instead of jerkying part of it. I'm just playing it safe :D Survival Instinct kicks in once in awhile. ;)

zelph

Postby zelph » Wed Nov 18, 2015 9:18 pm

Ridgerunner wrote:Zelph, The meatcutter will slice your roast into 1/8" thin slabs for you--just ask ans ask to see the first slice so you are on the same page as to how thin an 1/8" is. ;) Top Round is a very lean tight grained muscle. Also ask the meatcutter to trim the external fat off.
Yes, marinade does take the wild taste away fron venison as does any "good" cooking technique. When you are done drying the meat, all you have is dried muscle with the flavor of your marinade. I've always joked that one could make jerky out of roadkill possum or skunk and people would love it because of this fact. ;)

Good info on the power of marinate :D There are a lot of road kill armadillos down here in Mississippi :o I'll have to read up on them to see if they are edible :lol: turkey vultures love-em 8-)

Ridgerunner

Postby Ridgerunner » Thu Nov 19, 2015 11:42 pm

Sure they are edible! They would be a delicacy on some of the survivor reality shows :DB:

zelph

Postby zelph » Sat Nov 21, 2015 11:29 pm

Here is something interesting about them:

Do people really eat armadillos?

It may seem like an odd question, but the answer is “Yes”. In many areas of Central and South America, armadillo meat is often used as part of an average diet. Armadillo meat is a traditional ingredient in Oaxaca, Mexico. I have heard that some peoples of South America keep small varieties of armadillos as edible housepets. During the Depression, armadillos were often eaten by hungry people. They were called “Hoover hogs” by people angry with then-President Herbert Hoover’s broken promise of a chicken in every pot. The meat is said to taste like fine-grained, high-quality pork.

I have seen several online recipes for armadillo, and I have been told that armadillo meat is an acceptable substitute for pork, chicken, or beef in many dishes. (I have not yet had an opportunity to dine on armadillo myself, so I can&38217; say personally whether this is true.) If you have access to armadillo meat, don’t be afraid to try it, but you should make sure that the meat is cooked thoroughly to avoid the possibility of contracting a disease. Armadillos are known to carry leprosy, and although the incidence level is fairly low in most regions there is still a risk of transmission if the meat is undercooked

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I also found out they eat Fire ants. There are a zillion fire and hills around here and just as many armadillos.

Armadillos seem to be unafraid of humans> I've been within 5 feet of the critters and they ignore me. They are a menace to lawns, more so than skunks, moles and opossum.

Ridgerunner

Postby Ridgerunner » Sun Nov 22, 2015 9:00 pm

"5 feet"....easy shot :lol: just make sure to cook it thoroughly ;) :lol:

zelph

Postby zelph » Fri Nov 27, 2015 9:13 pm

I'm convinced that anything smoked will taste like ham. We had some smoked turkey today that taste like ham :lol:

Recently there was a roadkill deer near the campground and it was covered with so many turkey vultures it looked like a brown/grey mound from a distance. They all had their heads down inside the carcass so all you could see is their backs sticking up :D

The duck hunter promised some duck wrapped in bacon and cooked over campfire coals. We'll see if it tastes tender ;)

Ridgerunner

Postby Ridgerunner » Sun Nov 29, 2015 11:25 pm

I agree that smoked turkey taste similar to ham but if you try smoked salmon it is not so much like ham but is delicious ;)

Return to “Freezer Bag Cooking”