And so it begins...

Discuss favorite methods and recipes
JBRanger

And so it begins...

Postby JBRanger » Tue Apr 20, 2010 3:49 pm

Since I've got some time til my next trip, I'll be researching info on making my own meals. I'm thinking buying a dehydrator and making my own faux-MH meals. We'll see though. Any tips are appreciated.

irrationalsolutions

Re: And so it begins...

Postby irrationalsolutions » Tue Apr 20, 2010 4:43 pm

its a great and cheaper idea. just test everything at home before its all you have to eat on the trail.
“Do or do not... there is NO try.” Yoda

Luke "Whats in (out) there?" Yoda "Only what you take with you."

Luke "I can’t believe it." Yoda "That is why you Fail.”

zelph

Postby zelph » Tue Apr 20, 2010 8:34 pm

I purchased a hardly used dehydrator 2 years ago at thrift store. Havn't taken the time to use it. :oops:

My wife purchased a large quantity of dried goodies for FB meals and we vaccum packed our meals thatta way. I'll try and do better this year on drying my own. :) Good luck on your new adventure.
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

Ridgerunner

Postby Ridgerunner » Fri Apr 23, 2010 12:18 pm

Dehydraters are a great tool for making DIY MH type meals. American Harvester makes a great dehydrater. I have one with 12 trays and adjustable thermastat along with their GardenMaster Dehydrater that can hold up to 20 trays and is larger in diameter. I think I only have a dozen or so trays for the GardenMaster. They are designed so the air flow will travel across each and every tray for fairly even drying times. I have dried soups, chili, jerky, stews, fruits, etc. I have not utilized it nearly as much as I would like. Realityguy has also done a lot of dehydrating. I believe you can see some info in the cooking forum. I recently bought a nice box type dehydrater with sliding trays at a church sale for a reasonable coin. :DP:
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Fri Apr 23, 2010 6:14 pm

Realityguy has also done a lot of dehydrating.

??..Only when I run out of beer.. :lol:

Then I buy more and rehydrate... :mrgreen:
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

Ridgerunner

Postby Ridgerunner » Fri Apr 23, 2010 9:28 pm

realityguy wrote:
Realityguy has also done a lot of dehydrating.

??..Only when I run out of beer.. :lol:

Then I buy more and rehydrate... :mrgreen:

My bad, cuz! Oldtimers hit me again! :roll: :lol: Drink another brewsky on me! It was actually Brother Daren that was getting into the dehydrating! You can check out some info in the following thread:
http://www.bplite.com/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=822
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Fri Apr 23, 2010 9:47 pm

O figured it was Daren you were talking about...I think you've been sniffing too much turkey poop personally.. :mrgreen:
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

Ridgerunner

Postby Ridgerunner » Fri Apr 23, 2010 10:08 pm

Put a gobbler to bed tonight just on the other side of my propety line next to the house. If I wasn't going to the Kiwanis pancake breakfast and then hitting the yard sales tomorrow, I would fill my second tag. I still have three weeks to fill it. ;) There you go cuz, getting us off topic. Let me tie it in though. I love making wild turkey jerky in my dehydrater. ;) :lol: :DP:

cadyak

Postby cadyak » Wed Nov 30, 2011 2:47 pm

JB,
Did you ever get around to making some dried grub? Ever get down to Albany?

JBRanger

Postby JBRanger » Thu Dec 01, 2011 10:24 am

Most I've done was beef jerky and some fruit leathers. Of course my wife was pregnant then, so the smell was killing her. Now that the kid is out, I wanna try out some more.

Return to “Freezer Bag Cooking”