Freezer bag omelets

Discuss favorite methods and recipes
churro

Freezer bag omelets

Postby churro » Thu Mar 12, 2015 12:37 pm

I know some folks will hat the idea of actually cooking a freezer bag, and others will hate the idea of carrying fresh eggs, but I am ok with both.
Take 2-3 eggs, some grated cheese, salt, pepper and whatever fillings you like and put them in a freezer bag. Seal it, squish it around, then squeeze out the air. Reseal and boil for 10-15 minutes at sea level (20 minutes at this altitude, about 8000 ft.)
My brother always used to take a few eggs cracked into a jar fro the first breakfast of every trip (provided it was cold enough that they'd last overnight). My plan is to make up a few bags of the above omelets, freeze them, then plan on them thawing slowly for the first breakfast. Maybe pack them in a padded mailing envelope and monitor to see how fast they thaw and when they get too warm to be safe to store. Testing to follow.

realityguy

Re: Freezer bag omelets

Postby realityguy » Thu Mar 12, 2015 8:34 pm

I found some sealed egg cookers shaped like eggs at a thrift store..for cooking eggs in your microwave.They split in the middle for cleaning but have a small cap on top also for cooking them in the microwave without shells on them..I thought they might work well for packing eggs on the trail.If they broke..who cares,they are still sealed in their individual containers.
Your freezing the bags sounds like a good idea.Keep in mind that eggs will sit under a chicken all day and not go bad..if you collect eggs in the evening..As long as you cook them..It shouldn't be a problem.
Our neighbor works as a salesman for Boeing and we've been watching his 8 chickens for him and his wife while they have been in BC(for the eggs they lay).We get about 7-8 eggs every other day when we check them.Our temperatures have been averaging in the upper 50s or so during the day and above freezing at night..maybe 40-50 at night.We haven't had any problems with the eggs being bad..We get white ones,tan ones,and chocolate colored ones..only have to give them food,scratch and water if they need it..good deal! :DB: We get over a dozen a week checking them on Tuesday and Thursday evenings..giving the neighbors what extra they lay before they get home friday night.
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

churro

Postby churro » Thu Mar 12, 2015 8:57 pm

Yeah, farm eggs in particular keep well. I never quite trust grocery store eggs to be fresh when I get them :cry: . I am envious of your current source. The raccoons ate all my chickens, then we had a baby, so I haven't replaced them yet.

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Thu Mar 12, 2015 9:30 pm

Our current source is temporary but I have a big back yard..and am a carpenter by original trade..so making a coop and getting my own would be no big deal..if the wife wants to maintain(at least help) them and not leave it all to me... ;) ..why I'm reluctant.. :roll:
The neighbor did a good job with the coop and added their own run/yard about 12 feet long of wire bent over conduit hoops about 7' tall and the chicken wire buried about 6" into the ground..to keep the coons out.So far it has worked well..I had my doubts at first...
They seem to do more digging in my yard for eating worms or ants(?)..than in the neighbors...We have a regular pack of coons(what's a pack of coons called?)that hit our yard about every two or three weeks during about 2/3rds of the year.I can tell when they've come through because they wash their food in the cat's outside water bowls..As long as they stay friendly,don't harass the cats,or make a mess..they'll be welcome here.I only get pissed when our asian pears,plums,and peaches come out...and start disappearing. :taz:
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

churro

Postby churro » Fri Mar 13, 2015 12:12 pm

realityguy wrote:(what's a pack of coons called?):taz:

"A pain in the butt" is what we call them around here. I was willing to tolerate them at first, but then they killed all of the roosters (as in 14 of them) in one nighttime raid, a few days before I planned to fill the freezer with farm raised chicken. I heard a commotion outside a few nights later, ran out in my boots and bathrobe thinking I could scare them off. It was a mother with several young ones. The mother charged me, got within about 5 feet, popping her teeth and dancing around. I remember thinking "this is gonna hurt real bad", but I stood my ground, channeled Bruce Lee and said, "you think you can take me?". She took off.

The next morning, I discovered that they had manipulated the fairly complicated locking mechanism on the chicken house and killed all but 4 of the hens.

A few weeks later one of my neighbors moved his sheep to the neighboring pasture and his guard dogs killed 8 coons in one week. All was quiet for a year or so, then another family of coons started coming through, harassing the rabbits, the cats and even the UPS lady. This was when my wife was pregnant, and one morning she got up to find a coon in the living room, eating the cat food. Came in the cat door (now sealed up). I figured I had to get things under control before the baby was born. I tried live traps, but they would help each other get in and out of them in record time. Finally, one got hit by a car and I went all Rambo on the others (an objective observer might have said I went all Elmer Fudd on them), then got a dog. We'll see if the dog does his job when springtime rolls around.

Who says that 80's action movies have no educational value? :taz:

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Fri Mar 13, 2015 9:35 pm

We've had a couple in the house through the cat door but they must have been small and our cats are pretty big..Another baby walked into the sunroom at midday..We chased it around the sunroom but it just wanted to stay under furniture while momma was outside giving us dirty looks.The young one finally got the hint with the broom on its butt guiding it towards the open door...Another time a bigger one tried to come in through the open door but a firm NO got its attention and it decided against that.
I used to have a thrift store friend that raised our local coon clan from babies...so they were pretty friendly.He used to tell us about taking them into the shower..giving them bathes..let them find M & M s in his pockets..Playfully sneaking up behind his cat while it was sleeping and grabbing its tail and that..etc..etc....so they were pretty used to human and other small animal contact.We didn't have contact with them and they kept their distance for the most part.
We've had as many as six in the back yard with the four youngsters shaking our asian pear trees and the adults scooping up the pears they knocked down..They are definitely intelligent animals!
Dogs...prepare for vet bills...

churro

Postby churro » Fri Mar 13, 2015 10:35 pm

I hope I didn't come across as callous or hateful of wildlife. I like and respect raccoons, and would never think of killing or threatening one, except in defense of myself or my loved ones (that includes the things I do to provide for my family). Thing is, my property borders over a million acres of wilderness and my town is so small it doesn't even show up on satellite photos. It's pretty much a constant effort to keep livestock alive at all here. Meanwhile, the wildlife is doing pretty well, here. The feed is excellent, but some of the predators opt to take livestock first, rather than risk it with wildlife who are more apt to defend themselves.

That said, we actually manage our land to benefit wildlife first. The small envelope we use to raise livestock is near the house, protected by layers of fences, and the remainder of the land is under a conservation easement that prevents any development that is detrimental to wildlife, and is monitored by third parties to enforce that agreement. I just don't want the wildlife in my living room.

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Mon Mar 16, 2015 8:06 pm

I understand..if one tried to harass my cats..he'd have a shovel or 2x4 where his head was(or appropriately inserted if he was facing the other way)..Protection of the family and that comes first..
Generally if they harass my fruit..they get the hose and nozzle...They don't like that..

zelph

Postby zelph » Mon Mar 16, 2015 10:49 pm

Good stories :D

I have trapped and relocated many coon from my yard.

I have a photo somewhere of my cat watching a coon eat it's food on the back deck. The cat had the expression on it's face that said "how rude!!!!" :lol:
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Mon Mar 16, 2015 10:54 pm

I've never tried to catch a coon in one of my hav-a-harts..but many possums and squirrels...I think my record for "exported" squirrels during pick-peach season was 32 squirrelies in 28 days..didn't seem to even make a dent... :evil: :DB: :taz:

Return to “Freezer Bag Cooking”