Mystery Tool 60

A hand held tool or device, see if you can guess what it is.
zelph

Mystery Tool 60

Postby zelph » Thu Feb 05, 2009 10:47 am

This hand tool is approximately 5" tall and 4" wide.

If you are the winner of a previous Mystery Tool entry and you think know the answer to this one please don't post the answer. Send me a PM and I'll see if you are correct and if correct I'll give you credit for the right answer at the end of the one week periode.

ImageImage
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

Vibe

Re: Mystery Tool 60

Postby Vibe » Thu Feb 05, 2009 3:16 pm

That would appear to be a leather working anvil. The ones specialized for shoe making are called "lasts", I'm not so sure about the general version. It's used to back up the punches for embossing designs into leather belts, saddles, purses, etc. But a planishing anvil is also very similar, used for "stretching" metal into bowls and other irregular shapes - but both serve the same function - backing up a material so it can be draped over the anvil while hammer blows work the other side.
The opinion of 10,000 men is of no value if none of them know anything about the subject.
- Marcus Aurelius--------------------------------------------- Image

Ridgerunner

Postby Ridgerunner » Thu Feb 05, 2009 9:56 pm

I'm totally clueless on this tool. That said, my guess is that it is used to insert keys into keyways on huge engines. :roll:
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

Pure Mahem

Postby Pure Mahem » Fri Feb 06, 2009 3:06 am

Paper Weight!! :mrgreen:
"Lad I don't know where you've been. But, I see you won first prize!"

zelph

Postby zelph » Sat Feb 07, 2009 12:17 am

A hammer is used with this tool. No correct answers yet. Come on in all you lurkers out there. One of you know what this is, win a free stove. :D

irrationalsolutions

Postby irrationalsolutions » Sat Feb 07, 2009 3:28 am

its for putting the edge strip on a rounded corner?
“Do or do not... there is NO try.” Yoda

Luke "Whats in (out) there?" Yoda "Only what you take with you."

Luke "I can’t believe it." Yoda "That is why you Fail.”

beemerphill

Postby beemerphill » Sat Feb 07, 2009 8:05 am

This appears to be the "anvil" that you would use if you were setting a rivet. The rivet would be placed thru the materials, then they would be placed on the anvil, then the exposed part of the rivet would be peened by a hammer.

heckdog

Postby heckdog » Mon Feb 09, 2009 12:28 am

How about you whack it on the top to set the head of an axe or similar impliment of destruction onto a handle?

zelph

Postby zelph » Mon Feb 09, 2009 11:13 am

zelph wrote:This hand tool is approximately 5" tall and 4" wide.

If you are the winner of a previous Mystery Tool entry and you think know the answer to this one please don't post the answer. Send me a PM and I'll see if you are correct and if correct I'll give you credit for the right answer at the end of the one week periode.

ImageImage

There were PM's sent with answers but none were the correct one. This one was a toughy.

All were very well thought out answers. Thank You!!!!

Here is what it is: A pulley driver for the old windows that had ropes, pulleys and weights in the sash, the pulleys were driven into the mortise with this tool.

It's a tool used by carpenters of the past. Double hung windows that had counter balance weights in the hollow window frame had a pulley attached at the top of window. The carpenter had to chisle out a rectangular hole and then insert the pulley. If the hole was not exactly the right size he would use this tool to tap the pulley into place. Part of the turning pulley stuck out a little, so the tool had a cupped out section to allow the pulley to nestle in there to protect it from the taping of the hammer. The pulley had two ears on it's case that had countersunk holes for screws that would hold it firmly to the window casing.

The counter balance weight was inside the hollow framework of the window casing. The hanging weight made it esier to open the larger windows homes and commercial buildings such as schools. It was my pleasure to open and close the windows at the little grammar school I went to. I had to use a long pole with a little dodad on the end of it to insert into a hole at the very top part of the window and pull in a downward motion to open the window. Most of the time the windows would only be opened from the top to allow the hot air to escape and the teacher had the classroom door open to have a breeze come across her desk and go up and out the opened windows. Pretty smart teacher heh!!!!

At times when I closed the windows I would use a little too much force and the window would slam shut and that made the counter balance weight go banging around inside the hollow window framework. When that happened I would look over to the teacher (nun) and she would have her big eyebrows skrinched downward and with a look on her face that made me have a fear of God. Nuns had a way of doing that you know. ;) At a later day in life I found out that God loves us dearly, each and every one of us. :D

Return to “Mystery Tool - What is it??????”