Tool Number 4

A hand held tool or device, see if you can guess what it is.
zelph

Tool Number 4

Postby zelph » Tue May 12, 2009 9:59 am

I'll give a free stove to the one who can tell me for sure what this tool is and give a link to a site that tells and shows what it is used for.

ImageImageImage
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

Vibe

Re: Tool Number 4

Postby Vibe » Tue May 12, 2009 1:56 pm

Well first off...it's broken, or at least one of the band clamping studs is.
It's an operating handle for a band brake. the small diameter part is the pivot fulcrum, the large split diameter part is for clamping a steel or leather band, which goes over the larger radiused part of the clamp, around a drum portion of some rotating machinery, and is anchored rigidly after (usually) at least 180° of wrap. Typically the rotation of the drum would tend to loosen the wrap and pulling on the handle of the tool shown would tighten it - applying the braking action. On higher torque applications this would be reversed since the "grab" of the brake would tend to dismantle the assembly.
The opinion of 10,000 men is of no value if none of them know anything about the subject.
- Marcus Aurelius--------------------------------------------- Image

zelph

Postby zelph » Tue May 12, 2009 9:33 pm

When I saw this tool and read the information on it I was doubtful of what they described it as.

Vibes description sure sounds alot better than the answer I was given.

We'll let this ride and see if anyone comes up with something different.

Vibe, can you get a link or tell us how it is you know of the tool/mechanism that you describe?

Vibe

Postby Vibe » Tue May 12, 2009 11:23 pm

Well Google hasn't been much help finding a link to anything that it might be used on. But I've seen similar used several times in my 30 year history of machine design and engineeriing. I'm guessing that it would have been used on some type of period industrial rotating equipment due to the casting design practices used to make it.
The opinion of 10,000 men is of no value if none of them know anything about the subject.

zelph

Postby zelph » Fri May 15, 2009 9:47 am

I did a lot of googling and got lots of interesting info but not what I was looking for.

The answer for this one is : double sided hammer, 2 diff sizes, and possibley used by sheet metal workers.

Well I don't buy that answer and have to say Vibe's description sure is a lot better.

Vibe I agree with you!!!!! Send me your address in a PM. and a stove will be on it's way.

I think the belt was made of leather and had 2 rows of holes in it to correspond with the pins in the jaw. The pivoting side may have been held in place by bronze pillow blocks.

Vibe

Postby Vibe » Fri May 15, 2009 10:17 am

zelph wrote:I think the belt was made of leather and had 2 rows of holes in it to correspond with the pins in the jaw. The pivoting side may have been held in place by bronze pillow blocks.

The ones I have seen that served that purpose actually rode in a groove on the bottom, with "keepers" on the top to hold the device in place, as opposed to two true pillow block type mounts.

zelph

Postby zelph » Fri May 15, 2009 12:19 pm

Vibe wrote:
zelph wrote:I think the belt was made of leather and had 2 rows of holes in it to correspond with the pins in the jaw. The pivoting side may have been held in place by bronze pillow blocks.

The ones I have seen that served that purpose actually rode in a groove on the bottom, with "keepers" on the top to hold the device in place, as opposed to two true pillow block type mounts.

AhhhYes, that would be the easier way. Thanks Vibe.

Return to “Mystery Tool - What is it??????”