Mystery growth

A hand held tool or device, see if you can guess what it is.
Ridgerunner

Mystery growth

Postby Ridgerunner » Fri Oct 30, 2009 7:45 pm

Alright, it's not a tool but it is a mystery. I get green "rings growing in my yard. Someone told me it was some sort of fungus. Now, I am inclined to agree!
ImageImage
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

realityguy

Re: Mystery growth

Postby realityguy » Fri Oct 30, 2009 7:54 pm

:o ..before I read the post..I thought it was your butt cheeks.. :lol: EWWWWW!

:mrgreen:

Fairy rings?.better google that one.. ;)

here--->http://www.wildmanstevebrill.com/Mushrooms.Folder/Fairy%20Ring%20Mushroom.html

I googled it for you...
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

Ridgerunner

Postby Ridgerunner » Fri Oct 30, 2009 8:28 pm

It says spring and summer. These just poped up an the last week or so. the ring may have been there long before that but the shrooms just surfaced.
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Fri Oct 30, 2009 8:39 pm

Could be some other mushrooms with the same idea of growth..started as a small cluster,then feeding it's way out with spores creating a wider and wider circle as the spores expand farther and the shroom cluster eats up the inner organic materials..leaving just grass in the center and the ever-widening ring.Pound some stakes into the outer edges or measure the width.Next year or even in the spring,see if it's gotten bigger across when they come up again in the same spot.
I've seen fairy rings around here about 8-10' across in almost perfect circles..but don't recall the season.We get a lot of our shrooms popping up now when the rains start up after summer..We've got lots in the yard,mostly boletus and some other ugly monsters.Most have nibbles out of the edges and the squirrels seem to get extra nutty this time of year... :mrgreen:
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

DarenN

Postby DarenN » Fri Oct 30, 2009 9:07 pm

so;
if the squirrels are eating them, does that mean they are safe for us to eat? i've never been able to learn enough about mushroom ID to feel comfortable enough to harvest them. the pics in books and online don't look like the ones i see in the wild. i have the same problem with clams.
"I'd rather be happy than right." Slartibartfast

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Fri Oct 30, 2009 9:17 pm

I've always wondered that too..I guess if you wanted to run up and down trees,bury your nuts in the dirt,and nibble on pine cones..they are safe to eat. :lol: They seem to know not to touch the poisonous ones..or the squirrels that ate those already died.
The only ones I eat are the chanterelles and not very often.At one time we scheduled a trip every october to hit a nice patch over just over the pass in eastern washington on the way to my dad's house in Brewster to take him a grocery bag full of chanterelles..he's a wild- mushroom nut..or was..nothing grows near him now that he'll eat.
He kind of taught me some about the species but no enough for me to go willy-nilly and try others that might be edible vut look a lot like ones that aren't.Chanterelles are easy to identify.

zelph

Postby zelph » Sat Oct 31, 2009 11:35 am

http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

Ridgerunner

Postby Ridgerunner » Sat Oct 31, 2009 8:24 pm

Thanks RG and Zelph for the informative links. They solved the mystery for us. ;)

Return to “Mystery Tool - What is it??????”