Win a Free Stove * Know the correct answer

A hand held tool or device, see if you can guess what it is.
User avatar
zelph
Posts: 15815
Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2007 1:53 pm

Win a Free Stove * Know the correct answer

Postby zelph » Sun Nov 22, 2009 8:49 pm

You can win a free stove if you know what this is and what it is used for.

Image
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

User avatar
DarenN
Posts: 2816
Joined: Wed Feb 06, 2008 11:46 am
Location: Surrey, B.C. Canada

Re: Win a Free Stove * Know the correct answer

Postby DarenN » Sun Nov 22, 2009 9:36 pm

nice!! i've never seen one in that nice of condition.
"I'd rather be happy than right." Slartibartfast

realityguy
Posts: 5948
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2009 2:20 am
Location: slightly north of Seattle,WA

Re: Win a Free Stove * Know the correct answer

Postby realityguy » Sun Nov 22, 2009 9:37 pm

Inside radius stair plane between risers and treads...
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

Vibe
Posts: 372
Joined: Mon Dec 01, 2008 5:28 pm
Location: Little Rock, AR.

Re: Win a Free Stove * Know the correct answer

Postby Vibe » Mon Nov 23, 2009 3:04 pm

Corner "trowel" for finishing inside corners when plastering or drywalling. Shown with extension panels installed.
The opinion of 10,000 men is of no value if none of them know anything about the subject.
- Marcus Aurelius--------------------------------------------- Image

User avatar
zelph
Posts: 15815
Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2007 1:53 pm

Re: Win a Free Stove * Know the correct answer

Postby zelph » Mon Nov 23, 2009 6:52 pm

No correct answer yet.
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

sol
Posts: 9
Joined: Thu Oct 15, 2009 6:23 pm

Re: Win a Free Stove * Know the correct answer

Postby sol » Mon Nov 23, 2009 7:51 pm

It's a Stanley 57 Core-Box Plane used for making rounded channels in wooden molds used in metal casting. Wing plates can be removed or added according to diameter channel required.

sol

User avatar
zelph
Posts: 15815
Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2007 1:53 pm

Re: Win a Free Stove * Know the correct answer

Postby zelph » Wed Nov 25, 2009 6:57 pm

sol wrote:It's a Stanley 57 Core-Box Plane used for making rounded channels in wooden molds used in metal casting. Wing plates can be removed or added according to diameter channel required.

sol


That is the correct answer :DB:

The guys in GB will be proud and also here :D

A "BudLyte Super Stove" will be on it's way across the great waters by Friday.

ImageImageImage

Stanley Number 57 core box plane:

Used to cut a semi-circular channel in two pices of wood to make a core box, which is used to make cylindrical sand cores.


A core is a compact body of sand that can be placed in a sand mold for casting to create a void or hole that would be difficult or impossible to achieve using only a pattern.

Cylindrical cores are frequently needed to create the void or hole in casting for a large bearing, pulley or gear, or for the cylinder of a pump or engine.

A close-up of the blade that sticks out of the bottom
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

sol
Posts: 9
Joined: Thu Oct 15, 2009 6:23 pm

Re: Win a Free Stove * Know the correct answer

Postby sol » Thu Nov 26, 2009 8:29 pm

I always lurk this section as I am fascinated by the tools used by traditional craftmen, now I am glad I contributed :DB:

Hey zelph that's a great photo of the worked block usually you only get to see diagrams showing the process of taking lots of V shaped bites on the radius to get the semi-circle.

sol

User avatar
zelph
Posts: 15815
Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2007 1:53 pm

Re: Win a Free Stove * Know the correct answer

Postby zelph » Thu Nov 26, 2009 9:15 pm

sol wrote:I always lurk this section as I am fascinated by the tools used by traditional craftmen, now I am glad I contributed :DB:

Hey zelph that's a great photo of the worked block usually you only get to see diagrams showing the process of taking lots of V shaped bites on the radius to get the semi-circle.

sol


Hi sol, to be gin the process of making the core box 2 pieces of Poderosa Pine are pinned together to maintain the alignment of the two halves. While the 2 are pinned together, the circle diameter is scribed on the ends of them and then the scribe is highlighted with a pencil. The halves are then separated and pins removed. A table saw is then used to make a series of cuts to rough out the majority of material in the traugh/semi circle. The final cutting is done with the Core Plane and then hand sanded to the final finish. The pins are replaced and the core box is sealed with the appropriate sealer.
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

sol
Posts: 9
Joined: Thu Oct 15, 2009 6:23 pm

Re: Win a Free Stove * Know the correct answer

Postby sol » Thu Nov 26, 2009 9:37 pm

zelph wrote:
sol wrote:I always lurk this section as I am fascinated by the tools used by traditional craftmen, now I am glad I contributed :DB:

Hey zelph that's a great photo of the worked block usually you only get to see diagrams showing the process of taking lots of V shaped bites on the radius to get the semi-circle.

sol


Hi sol, to be gin the process of making the core box 2 pieces of Poderosa Pine are pinned together to maintain the alignment of the two halves. While the 2 are pinned together, the circle diameter is scribed on the ends of them and then the scribe is highlighted with a pencil. The halves are then separated and pins removed. A table saw is then used to make a series of cuts to rough out the majority of material in the traugh/semi circle. The final cutting is done with the Core Plane and then hand sanded to the final finish. The pins are replaced and the core box is sealed with the appropriate sealer.


Zelph, that is so cool, have you actually completed the process yourself right down to the casting?


Return to “Mystery Tool - What is it??????”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest