Win a Free Stove * Know the correct answer

A hand held tool or device, see if you can guess what it is.
zelph

Re: Win a Free Stove * Know the correct answer

Postby zelph » Fri Nov 27, 2009 11:56 am

sol wrote:
zelph wrote:
sol wrote:I always lurk this section as I am fascinated by the tools used by traditional craftmen, now I am glad I contributed :DB:

Hey zelph that's a great photo of the worked block usually you only get to see diagrams showing the process of taking lots of V shaped bites on the radius to get the semi-circle.

sol

Hi sol, to be gin the process of making the core box 2 pieces of Poderosa Pine are pinned together to maintain the alignment of the two halves. While the 2 are pinned together, the circle diameter is scribed on the ends of them and then the scribe is highlighted with a pencil. The halves are then separated and pins removed. A table saw is then used to make a series of cuts to rough out the majority of material in the traugh/semi circle. The final cutting is done with the Core Plane and then hand sanded to the final finish. The pins are replaced and the core box is sealed with the appropriate sealer.

Zelph, that is so cool, have you actually completed the process yourself right down to the casting?

When serving an apprenticeship I started out making core boxes and painting patterns, the easy stuff comes first. I tested the core boxes with "plaster" to make sure all dimensions were right and pin location were dead on.

I personnally made an aluminum cannon from start to finish. Made the pattern, core box to hollow out the cannon and then melted and poured the alluminum into the "sand mold" My first foundry experience was in high school(not sure what they call high shool in the uk). In high scholl we actually melted iron in a miniture cuppola furnace. Interesting stuff!!!!!!
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

sol

Postby sol » Sun Nov 29, 2009 7:41 pm

My first foundry experience was in high school(not sure what they call high shool in the uk). In high scholl we actually melted iron in a miniture cuppola furnace. Interesting stuff!!!!!!

I'm getting on a bit so not sure what we have now but in the 60's we had compulsory secondary school up to 15 years of age. I then went on to do an Engineering course at college where I learnt a bit about the subject of this thread, I don't think they would have trusted us with molten metal though :lol:

zelph

Postby zelph » Mon Nov 30, 2009 11:59 am

I don't think they would have trusted us with molten metal though :mrgreen:

By the time I got to my senior year they no longer trusted me and my buds. Ohhhh how we changed. :mrgreen: Good memories :DB:

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Mon Nov 30, 2009 1:04 pm

I remember in Junior High(7th grade..13-14?) that we had Metal Shop where they let "kids play" with making molten aluminum molded items or making/tempering red hot steel cold chisels..no one got hurt.I didn't because I took Wood Shop instead and got to use safe stuff like table saws,drill presses,4' lathes,sharp chisels,hammers, and handsaws. :o

:lol:
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

zelph

Postby zelph » Mon Nov 30, 2009 2:25 pm

We had wooden clubs called "Sand Ram"

See one in this link

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Mon Nov 30, 2009 4:42 pm

So..I take it you graduated from "Sand Box 101?"
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

zelph

Postby zelph » Mon Nov 30, 2009 10:33 pm

realityguy wrote:So..I take it you graduated from "Sand Box 101?"

Yep, and I liked it better than Wood Shop.

I had Print Shop and Machine shop also, disliked the wood shop teachers :o

Return to “Mystery Tool - What is it??????”