Mystery Tool for Week 18

A hand held tool or device, see if you can guess what it is.
zelph

Mystery Tool for Week 18

Postby zelph » Thu Jan 17, 2008 11:19 am

http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

oops56

Re: Mystery Tool for Week 18

Postby oops56 » Thu Jan 17, 2008 11:31 am

Makes holes it something not a pizza cutter
Man play with fire man get burnt

Pure Mahem

Postby Pure Mahem » Thu Jan 17, 2008 3:25 pm

The arm part of an old belt driven chopsaw. :mrgreen:
"Lad I don't know where you've been. But, I see you won first prize!"

zelph

Postby zelph » Thu Jan 17, 2008 3:31 pm

Pure Mahem wrote:The arm part of an old belt driven chopsaw. :mrgreen:

OSHA would never have permitted such an open blade :D I don't think OSHA was around when this tool was being used.

It's not part of a power tool. It is a hand tool, muscle powered. :D

The Cheat

Postby The Cheat » Thu Jan 17, 2008 4:50 pm

I was about to say I knew it, but then the floor was cut out right from underneath me.

Ridgerunner

Postby Ridgerunner » Fri Jan 18, 2008 5:20 pm

I got this one. After long research and and many hours in the secret labratory, it had been determined that the tool in question is Chinese. It is attached to a walking stick. It is a one blade disc for working the ground in Chinese Bonsai gardens. The lever determines the angle at which the disc will turn up the soil. What ingenuity on the Chinese part. :lol:
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

Chriffer

Postby Chriffer » Mon Jan 21, 2008 4:31 pm

Well my searchfu is a little too strong. I found the source of your mystery tool. Ooops, that kind of takes the fun away from it.

The summer issue’s Mystery Tool is more than an antique tool. It’s an example of one of many tools made during the early 1900s that are now extinct. During this era, most tools were invented for specific uses, and if they didn’t receive widespread acceptance, they would be discontinued from production. Nevertheless, reader Alex Drury of Niagara Falls, Ont., used the tool, a Speedy floorboard cutter, for more than 30 years. “I used one for cutting polished hardwood floors to avoid leaving unsightly marks on the floor,” says Drury, who worked as a house inspector and surveyor. “I was in Britain and most houses didn’t have basements. It was invaluable for cutting hatches to inspect joist ends and wall plates.”
Indeed, this tool was invented in England, probably for the same reasons Drury found it so useful. It’s somewhat strange this tool didn’t become more popular. Today, as in the past, it can cut out single floorboard sections without damaging the adjacent boards. You cut the tongue on each side of the board being removed and cut across the board. The back sits between the boards and the blade rests on the floor. Placing your knee on the pad, take the handle and move it back and forth until the floorboard is cut out. There’s a screw underneath that functions as a depth stop, while there are rubber pads under the prongs to protect polished floors and prevent gashes or marks.
The Speedy floorboard cutter was probably first used when central forced air heating was replacing the gravity furnace or fireplace and wire cable was replacing old wire and tube electrical systems. Workers would have to remove sections of floorboards to install registers and string cable between the floor and ceiling.

Well now, that was far less fun solving it than I had hoped. I was looking for something similar not the exact picture you used. This whole internet thing is a little too good at finding information sometimes.

Chriffer

The Cheat

Postby The Cheat » Wed Jan 23, 2008 1:38 pm

Chriffer wrote:Well my searchfu is a little too strong. I found the source of your mystery tool. Ooops, that kind of takes the fun away from it.

The summer .......and ceiling.

Well now, that was far less fun solving it than I had hoped. I was looking for something similar not the exact picture you used. This whole internet thing is a little too good at finding information sometimes.

Chriffer

Yeah, I think we've all experienced this. You want to work to find the answer (or better yet, know the tool because you have one in your basement), otherwise you feel like you would be ripping Zelph off by posting it. :) I googled "googledtextdeleted" and right there on the second page of results was the exact same picture! :) If that happens, just leave hints.

zelph

Postby zelph » Thu Jan 24, 2008 12:37 pm

The Cheat wrote:I was about to say I knew it, but then the floor was cut out right from underneath me.

The Cheat was the first to come up with the correct answer by being descrete in his answer. I could tell he knew.

Chriffer was in close second with the precise answer :D

I'll give each one a stove for their web search abilities.

PM me with your mailing addresses.

I'm not able to post a new Mystery Tool because I'm out of town and the library computers don't allow me to cut and paste information. :roll:

I'll post another one next week on Tuesday :)

Return to “Mystery Tool - What is it??????”