Mystery Tool For Week 22

A hand held tool or device, see if you can guess what it is.
zelph

Mystery Tool For Week 22

Postby zelph » Thu Feb 14, 2008 10:37 am

I need specifics for this one. What is it? What is it used for specifically.

http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

oops56

Re: Mystery Tool For Week 22

Postby oops56 » Thu Feb 14, 2008 10:44 am

Its to make wooden sap sprouts for maple sugar trees
Man play with fire man get burnt

DarenN

Postby DarenN » Thu Feb 14, 2008 4:14 pm

that's a dowel turning plane that can be used to turn a taperred dowel to use as a plug, such as a barrel bung, or the taperred end of a chair leg or rail.

DarenN.........

(ps..... i really like odd and unusual tools!)
"I'd rather be happy than right." Slartibartfast

zelph

Postby zelph » Thu Feb 14, 2008 8:35 pm

DarenN wrote:that's a dowel turning plane that can be used to turn a taperred dowel to use as a plug, such as a barrel bung, or the taperred end of a chair leg or rail.

DarenN.........

(ps..... i really like odd and unusual tools!)

Me also :) I'll put up a real doozy for the heck of it.

zelph

Postby zelph » Thu Feb 21, 2008 10:24 am

zelph wrote:I need specifics for this one. What is it? What is it used for specifically.

by DarenN on Thu Feb 14, 2008 4:14 pm

that's a dowel turning plane that can be used to turn a taperred dowel to use as a plug, such as a barrel bung, or the taperred end of a chair leg or rail.

DarenN.........

DarenN was really really close so I will say he got it right :) His emphasis was on tapering not rounding. The use as plug and bung is what I used to make my decision :)

Here is some info on the tool:

A rounder plane is used for making rounded ends on square or irregular wood—in Jackson’s case, the ends of trees—so they fit into drilled holes. Traditionally, this tool was used for rounding handles for rakes, pitchforks, ladder rungs, spoke tongues and other homemade handles that did not require perfect-fitting pieces. All you need to do is secure the wood in a vice or brake with one end placed inside the mouth of the rounder. After setting the blade to the correct angle, a few simple twists will create a rounded end. Imagine a giant pencil sharpener with handles, and you’ll get the idea.
In the late 1890s, factory-made rounders were manufactured in various sizes. Later developments led to adjustable rounders made with two parts that fastened together with large wooden screws. The tool pictured here is limited by the size of the hole in the plane body. While the tool isn’t commercially available today, it remains a hot commodity at antique tool shows because of its sheer practicality. It’s one of a few antique tools still useful in home workshops and not purely a relic of the past. It is also the perfect tool for making rustic furniture such as Jackson’s railing.

Return to “Mystery Tool - What is it??????”