Mystery Tool 32

A hand held tool or device, see if you can guess what it is.
oops56

Re: Mystery Tool 32

Postby oops56 » Sun May 04, 2008 9:25 pm

zelph wrote:What's it used for?

I got mine going its a coleman fuel burner the pickup wick is bad keeps flaking off in side the tube so its just a show piece now.
Man play with fire man get burnt

zelph

Postby zelph » Mon May 05, 2008 9:20 am

I got mine going its a coleman fuel burner the pickup wick is bad keeps flaking off in side the tube so its just a show piece now.

My source indicates it burns kerosene. The pickup wick more than likely has been let burn dry. The wicks used in that period of time were not fiberglass. Your experience with the whitefly stove(1st edition) shows that you should not let it run out of fuel or else the wicks will harden and crack.

You might try and run 1/16" fiberglass wick through the coil. Pull the old wick out with a pair of needle nose tweezers.

Can you show us a closeup view of the coil where the wick is exposed?
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

oops56

Postby oops56 » Mon May 05, 2008 1:02 pm

The wick is so bad it just gone to h== just to touch it plus i un solder one tube messing with it oh i got it going good tell it got hot then a flame came out of the solder joint

oops56

Postby oops56 » Mon May 05, 2008 6:18 pm

Well its a basket case now :lol: :lol: As you can see the left side the wick was broke off just a little piece left in tube the right was burnt and rotten. The had part put wick in after the coil is solder on.I think just put a wire round the top part of wick push in leave wire there no hurt it.Now the mop head getting smaller its cotton and they make good wicks for coil and primus stoves etc.

DarenN

Postby DarenN » Mon May 05, 2008 7:24 pm

Oops;
i had a piece of wick get stuck in one of my DIY coils. i blew it out with my compressor.

Daren......
"I'd rather be happy than right." Slartibartfast

zelph

Postby zelph » Mon May 05, 2008 11:08 pm

oops56 wrote:Well its a basket case now :lol: :lol: As you can see the left side the wick was broke off just a little piece left in tube the right was burnt and rotten. The had part put wick in after the coil is solder on.I think just put a wire round the top part of wick push in leave wire there no hurt it.Now the mop head getting smaller its cotton and they make good wicks for coil and primus stoves etc.

Well the stove is in good hands. A little tender loving care and it'll be as good as new. I've seen your restoration work oops. Your Good!!!! Real Good!!!

What's the name on top of the lid?(give it to me in a PM) :P Don't give it to everyone to google :o

DaddyMnM

Postby DaddyMnM » Mon May 05, 2008 11:53 pm

I'll guess a bunsen burner for chem lab. That what most of the ring burners on the web seem to be for now.

zelph

Postby zelph » Thu May 08, 2008 11:18 am

zelph wrote:What's it used for?

My source tells me it is used for lighting candles. In eary days when candles were more plentiful than oil lamps I would think there were lots of candles placed around to light up ones home or castle. Lamp oil was used as fuel. I was hoping oops would get a close up photo of the hole size in the coil to get a better idea of how it may have worked with lamp oil/kerosene.

I would also make a good rifle sight blackener like beemerphill said. Blacken the entire platoons sights in one go-around. :)

Thanks oops for the photos and insight on your unit. :)

lotsalaughs

Postby lotsalaughs » Wed May 21, 2008 8:50 am

oops56 wrote:Well its a basket case now :lol: :lol: As you can see the left side the wick was broke off just a little piece left in tube the right was burnt and rotten. The had part put wick in after the coil is solder on.I think just put a wire round the top part of wick push in leave wire there no hurt it.Now the mop head getting smaller its cotton and they make good wicks for coil and primus stoves etc.

did you ever get this one back together and working?

oops56

Postby oops56 » Wed May 21, 2008 10:46 am

lotsalaughs wrote:

did you ever get this one back together and working?

not yet to many fires all at once

Return to “Mystery Tool - What is it??????”