Just for the Heck Of It

A hand held tool or device, see if you can guess what it is.
zelph

Just for the Heck Of It

Postby zelph » Fri May 02, 2008 5:58 pm

What in the world is it?

http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

oops56

Re: Just for the Heck Of It

Postby oops56 » Fri May 02, 2008 6:04 pm

Finger nail cleaner.
Man play with fire man get burnt

beemerphill

Postby beemerphill » Fri May 02, 2008 8:32 pm

This is device for testing blackpowder. Each batch of powder could be a little "hotter" or "cooler". By measuring a small amout of each batch, loads could be adjusted to allow for this difference.

DarenN

Postby DarenN » Fri May 02, 2008 8:44 pm

beemerphill wrote:This is device for testing blackpowder. Each batch of powder could be a little "hotter" or "cooler". By measuring a small amout of each batch, loads could be adjusted to allow for this difference.

Phill; i sure hope you are right!
a very complex looking device for the flint-lock age. i can just see how the powder flash would operate the pawls and set the toothed wheel up in the stops on the last little dogleg lever.

benzDaren........
"I'd rather be happy than right." Slartibartfast

zelph

Postby zelph » Sun May 04, 2008 3:30 pm

Beemerphill got the correct answer.

Can you give us any information on how you know of this hand tool?

The hotter the load, the more cogs on the wheel would be pushed upward and then locked in place by the spring loaded catch arm.

beemerphill on Fri May 02, 2008 8:32 pm

This is device for testing blackpowder. Each batch of powder could be a little "hotter" or "cooler". By measuring a small amout of each batch, loads could be adjusted to allow for this difference.
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

beemerphill

Postby beemerphill » Sun May 04, 2008 8:08 pm

How I knew it is simple. I've been into reloading for a long time. If you want to do anything right, you have to keep on reading and learning. You will never know "everything". Because of this, I read anything I can find about any of my hobbys. There was a picture of a device like this in one of the reloading articles that I read. While I don't like blackpowder(way too messy, and hard to clean up after), the concept of rating any powder by burn speed and force is a valuable tool.
AND, tools are fun, From what I have seen of this site, evryone likes tools and new ways to use them. Keep up the Mystery Tool. It is one of the most interesting parts of the forum. :D :D :D

Return to “Mystery Tool - What is it??????”