Lightweight blistered lips fix

...and other hiking related do-it-yourself designs.
Skidsteer

Lightweight blistered lips fix

Postby Skidsteer » Wed Sep 05, 2007 10:22 pm

I got to thinking of alternative ways to drink coffee and other hot drinks directly from a cookpot without getting your lips burned and this is what I came up with:

-Get a cheap(.97 cents)football mouthguard from Wal-Mart or any sporting goods store.

-Follow the boiling directions on the package(I boiled the water in the pot I was fitting the mouthguard to )

-Handfit the mouthguard to your pot. Carefully!

-Let cool on the pot, cut off the mouthguard strap, and then brew some coffee to test.

-Finished weight.

This is just a first try. The first thing I noticed about the lipguard is that it's a lot bigger than it needs to be. I believe you could cut it in half or use a 'youth size' mouthguard and probably get the weight down to .2 or .3 oz.

It works even better that I thought it would. I half expected it to dribble down the side a bit when drinking but the mouthguard material molds so well to the pot that not a drop escapes.

I was also worried that the plastic would re-soften when I clipped it over the rim of a hot cookpot. For my test I made sure to put the lipguard on the pot immediately after removing it from the stove. The coffee itself was way too hot to drink(I boiled the crap out of it) but I could hold the pot to my lips as long as I wanted to with nary a scorch.

Bottom line is that you can leave the Nalgene at home, carry a platy or Gatorade bottle for hiking water, and save about 3 oz. if you only really carried the Nalgene for hot drinks in the first place.

Hope it's useful for some of you and let me know how it turns out.

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.
Albert Einstein, (attributed)

zelph

Re: Lightweight blistered lips fix

Postby zelph » Thu Sep 06, 2007 9:48 am

I'm going to get one today and try it out. My wife says I look dorky using the Childs Sippy Cup lid on top of my Heineken pot. I need something more Manfull :D
"Nothing Ventured Nothing Gained" stove store = http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

Pure Mahem

Postby Pure Mahem » Fri Sep 21, 2007 4:55 am

zelph wrote:I'm going to get one today and try it out. My wife says I look dorky using the Childs Sippy Cup lid on top of my Heineken pot. I need something more Manfull :D

I think they have a small pink one for like 97 cents at walmart that should help you out Zelph. lol
"Lad I don't know where you've been. But, I see you won first prize!"

oops56

Postby oops56 » Fri Sep 21, 2007 9:48 am

Yep i did that some time ago cut in half works great. But if you leave it in the hot water to long its a goner. :lol: :lol: Almost cant find it its just like jelly.
Man play with fire man get burnt

zelph

Postby zelph » Fri Sep 21, 2007 11:28 am

I found them in the sport stores but was not willing to shell out $10.00 and some on sale for $5.00.

Thanks for directions for the less expensive ones. I feel better about going that route with the possibility , like oops said, melting away.

Thanks for the heads-up.

BackpackerGuy

Postby BackpackerGuy » Tue Jan 01, 2008 10:13 am

Here may be a quick fix: I've put TWO (2) bright yellow rubber wrist bands that you can buy these days (to support a particular cause - think Lance Armstrong's "LIVESTRONG" wrist bands) around the outside top of my Henieken pot for drinking out of. Keeps the bottom lip from getting burned when drinking from pot.

The only challenge you may have: if flames from stove reach top of the Heineken pot, the top one may loosen up and slide off, but that usually is a non-issue.
If this does come off, it can easily be slid right back on. I have not tried it, but you could glue them both on??

I keep both of mine on all the time, even when cooking with no problems.
Use a bright color band (yellow / orange / white) to see the top of the drinking pot in low light.

Hope this helps!

BackpackerGuy
Grand Rapids, MI

oops56

Postby oops56 » Tue Jan 01, 2008 11:24 am

I use one of them foot ball mouth guards cut in half put in hot water tell soft then mold on cup just use it after done cooking or on your coffe cup. Now where is mine gee got to make one more

Man play with fire man get burnt

zelph

Postby zelph » Tue Jan 01, 2008 2:20 pm

Backpackerguy has the quick fix and also is dual purpose. I'm sure the bands can be used for other emergency needs. Good tip, thanks!!

I purchased the mouth guard in Sept and quickly misplaced it in my stuff. I will resolve my messyness this year. See, I wrote it down as one of my goals for thew new year :D

Skidsteer

Postby Skidsteer » Tue Jan 01, 2008 6:41 pm

BackpackerGuy wrote:Here may be a quick fix: I've put TWO (2) bright yellow rubber wrist bands that you can buy these days (to support a particular cause - think Lance Armstrong's "LIVESTRONG" wrist bands) around the outside top of my Henieken pot for drinking out of. Keeps the bottom lip from getting burned when drinking from pot.

The only challenge you may have: if flames from stove reach top of the Heineken pot, the top one may loosen up and slide off, but that usually is a non-issue.
If this does come off, it can easily be slid right back on. I have not tried it, but you could glue them both on??

I keep both of mine on all the time, even when cooking with no problems.
Use a bright color band (yellow / orange / white) to see the top of the drinking pot in low light.

Hope this helps!

BackpackerGuy
Grand Rapids, MI

A dab of JBWeld would hold that sucker in place, I bet.
Skids

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.
Albert Einstein, (attributed)

Return to “Stove Designs by Skids...”