new UL Canister Burner project

Post your new stove ideas here! All stoves welcome.
DarenN

new UL Canister Burner project

Post by DarenN » Mon Sep 15, 2008 10:07 pm

after seeing Tony's SUUL burner i decided i have to try to make one like it.
i have an old metal working lathe and some tooling so i got started on it.
the first piece i made was the mixing tube. i found a dead wind-chime that has some nice aluminum tubing on it so i salvaged some but found out it won't fit with the taps and dies that i have to use, so, a bit of a setback. no big deal really. i'll just drill out some 1/2" round-stock and tap it to match the burner head and base.
the burner head is machined and just needs a screen in the top.
the base is turned and drilled. just needs tapping and threading.

i have all the required materials on hand. cost for this project will be $0.00.

patience! i'll post pics when it's finished. :)

Daren........
"I'd rather be happy than right." Slartibartfast

Tony

Re: new UL Canister Burner project

Post by Tony » Tue Sep 16, 2008 12:26 am

Hi Daren,

I look forward to seeing some pictures.

My SUUL has put on some weight but it is now much more robust and in the latest field tests it performed as I had hoped, will post an update and some photo's on my SUUL thread.

As a few people are starting to make canister stoves now I will do a post about the best fuel line to use and where it comes from soon.

I have been working hard on my own web site, I will have all of this information on it, should be up soon.

Tony

zelph

Post by zelph » Tue Sep 16, 2008 9:28 am

Wow!!!!!!!

Daren And Tony are going gangbusters on some pretty interesting projects. Both of you have made substantial inroads to the Make Your Own Gear world. Thanks to both of you and all that contribute to bplite and other related sites. It's a fun world and interesting to boot.

I saw recently a Light Box" that contained a ground glass that would be good for a shadow graph. It was at a thrift store but I did not have the cash to purchase. Today I'll return there to see it it's still available. I'm still working on projects :D

Looking forward to photos Daren and seeing your site up and running Tony.
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

Tony

Post by Tony » Tue Sep 16, 2008 6:20 pm

Hi Zelph,
I saw recently a Light Box" that contained a ground glass that would be good for a shadow graph. It was at a thrift store but I did not have the cash to purchase. Today I'll return there to see it it's still available. I'm still working on projects
A piece of clear plexiglass (acrylic sheet) is all you need, glass would be my last choice, some scrap from your local plastic supplier 18" by 18" is more than enough the thickness is not that important 1/16" to 1/2" range. Acrylic can be cut with a circular saw with any std wood cutting blade (working acrylic is the main part of my work, I make acrylic tanks of varying sizes and shapes and complexity, when I retire I hope never to touch the stuff again :x :x )

Tony

zelph

Post by zelph » Tue Sep 16, 2008 8:40 pm

A piece of clear plexiglass (acrylic sheet) is all you need, glass would be my last choice, some scrap from your local plastic supplier 18" by 18" is more than enough the thickness is not that important 1/16" to 1/2" range. Acrylic can be cut with a circular saw with any std wood cutting blade (working acrylic is the main part of my work, I make acrylic tanks of varying sizes and shapes and complexity, when I retire I hope never to touch the stuff again )

Tony
Hmmmmm!!!!!! I thought it had to be lightly frosted. Don't you just love it when the saw dust just jumps up and sticks to everything on your body :lol: :lol: No wonder why you want to stay away from it after retirement. :D

This past year I saw breifly on tv some very large acrylic tubes 2 -3 feet in diameter filled with water that was spiralling upward and had flaming gas bubbles intermixed with the water. The tubes looked to be at least 20 feet tall. It was awesome.
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

Tony

Post by Tony » Tue Sep 16, 2008 9:54 pm

Hi Zelph,
Hmmmmm!!!!!! I thought it had to be lightly frosted. Don't you just love it when the saw dust just jumps up and sticks to everything on your body :lol: :lol: No wonder why you want to stay away from it after retirement.
The frosty appearance is from the tracing paper taped to it, it is the tracing paper that does the shadowgraph, the plexiglass is only to keep the tracing paper flat and straight.

Tony

DarenN

Post by DarenN » Tue Sep 16, 2008 10:31 pm

i'm still working on the little burner.
the burner head is now complete.
the base just needs a setscrew in the bottom, and threading for the jet.
the mixing tube just needs the intake holes drilled.
with the top screen and hose barb installed in the base it weighs just under one ounce. 1" diameter by 2.25" tall.

Daren..........

ps: i broke a #80 drill bit today working on the jet. i'll have to start over on the jet. good thing i've got lots of brass rod laying around. :lol:

Ridgerunner

Post by Ridgerunner » Tue Sep 16, 2008 11:23 pm

: i broke a #80 drill bit today working on the jet. i'll have to start over on the jet. good thing i've got lots of brass rod laying around.
Yes, but how many #80 drill bits do you have laying around? :lol: You might have to actually break down and BUY some of those. :o :lol:
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

DarenN

Post by DarenN » Wed Sep 17, 2008 7:31 am

Ridgerunner wrote:
: i broke a #80 drill bit today working on the jet. i'll have to start over on the jet. good thing i've got lots of brass rod laying around.
Yes, but how many #80 drill bits do you have laying around? :lol: You might have to actually break down and BUY some of those. :o :lol:
only one more. :o

DarenN

Post by DarenN » Wed Sep 17, 2008 5:35 pm

stay tuned to this station, folks! :D

it's done and it works!! :mrgreen:

i can't tell you how excited i am right now. :ugeek:

Daren..........