new UL Canister Burner project

Post your new stove ideas here! All stoves welcome.
User avatar
DarenN
Posts: 2816
Joined: Wed Feb 06, 2008 11:46 am
Location: Surrey, B.C. Canada

Re: new UL Canister Burner project

Post by DarenN » Thu Feb 05, 2009 10:53 pm

zelph wrote: enter it in the Stove of The Month
i never entered my canister burners in SoTM because they are far beyond the casual builders' scope. a lathe and milling machine are required, and very few people have access to them let alone own them themselves.

besides that; if i entered mine then Tony would enter his, and i'd be blown out of the water. i don't think my fragile psyche could handle that level of rejection! ;) :mrgreen:

Daren......
"I'd rather be happy than right." Slartibartfast

User avatar
zelph
Posts: 15834
Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2007 1:53 pm

Re: new UL Canister Burner project

Post by zelph » Thu Feb 05, 2009 11:32 pm

DarenN wrote:
zelph wrote: enter it in the Stove of The Month
i never entered my canister burners in SoTM because they are far beyond the casual builders' scope. a lathe and milling machine are required, and very few people have access to them let alone own them themselves.

besides that; if i entered mine then Tony would enter his, and i'd be blown out of the water. i don't think my fragile psyche could handle that level of rejection! ;) :mrgreen:

Daren......
We could judge the canister entries against canister entries and regular stoves against regulars 8-)
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

Tony
Posts: 293
Joined: Thu Sep 27, 2007 11:46 pm
Location: Canberra Australia
Contact:

Re: new UL Canister Burner project

Post by Tony » Fri Feb 06, 2009 4:49 am

Hi Daren,
V\besides that; if i entered mine then Tony would enter his, and i'd be blown out of the water. i don't think my fragile psyche could handle that level of rejection!
I have already won the stotm comp, I do think it is fair that I win it again.

My stove making and testing has come to a stop at the moment as we are having a record breaking run if hot temperatures, it has been over 30C for about two weeks now and tomorrow it is going to be over 38C (100F) and parts of Sydney are predicted to be over 47C (116.6F) tomorrow.

Tony

User avatar
seudo_411
Posts: 268
Joined: Sat Jun 14, 2008 4:32 pm
Location: South Africa

Re: new UL Canister Burner project

Post by seudo_411 » Fri Feb 06, 2009 6:35 am

Darren, If i understand correctly, Annealing is the same as throwing springs in the fire to remove the temper. I found some tubing called Macroline, its used for carrying high pressure gas, up to about 4000psi in paintball guns. It is also resistant to high temperatures so that much is sorted. One last question aimed at the entire board. Is it possible to have a stove with out the jet. will a pinhole suffice with low pressure gas.
Save space, Live on the edge...

Life might be a Bitch, but at least she knows who her Daddy is...

User avatar
zelph
Posts: 15834
Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2007 1:53 pm

Re: new UL Canister Burner project

Post by zelph » Fri Feb 06, 2009 12:25 pm

seudo_411 wrote: Is it possible to have a stove with out the jet. will a pinhole suffice with low pressure gas.
I was able to get good results with using low pressure when I made the Ring of Fire style canister stove. When I cranked up the pressure it burned inefficiently dirty/sooty.
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

User avatar
seudo_411
Posts: 268
Joined: Sat Jun 14, 2008 4:32 pm
Location: South Africa

Re: new UL Canister Burner project

Post by seudo_411 » Fri Feb 06, 2009 3:40 pm

That makes sense Zelph, I have found a maintenance kit for the Jetboil stove, it includes a jet,O-rings and piezoelectric igniter. So i have been thinking of buying it, and using the jet. One last stumbling block though, what could i use to attach the jet to the gas tube. gonna use a metal ink refill tube. could i cast the two component into a block of high temp epoxy putty.
Save space, Live on the edge...

Life might be a Bitch, but at least she knows who her Daddy is...

Vibe
Posts: 372
Joined: Mon Dec 01, 2008 5:28 pm
Location: Little Rock, AR.

Re: new UL Canister Burner project

Post by Vibe » Fri Feb 06, 2009 3:45 pm

Went looking for a butane canister. Found an 18ml "refill" at the local tobacco store. Much smaller than the Ronson aluminum canister. probably on the order of 7/8" dia and 4" long. It's a Neon brand name and is a clear reservoir so you can monitor fuel level. The metal fill nozzle looks to be 0.100" dia or so. I haven't put the calipers to any of these dimensions yet though.
While I was there I also found a "Venom" energy drink aluminum bottle. Wall weight is on par with the beer bottles, but diameter is the same as a coke can, larger mouth and shorter neck than the Bud bottles as well. I'm going to have to try and make a couple of rolled edge VenoMeth stoves.
The opinion of 10,000 men is of no value if none of them know anything about the subject.
- Marcus Aurelius--------------------------------------------- Image

User avatar
zelph
Posts: 15834
Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2007 1:53 pm

Re: new UL Canister Burner project

Post by zelph » Fri Feb 06, 2009 3:50 pm

seudo_411 wrote:That makes sense Zelph, I have found a maintenance kit for the Jetboil stove, it includes a jet,O-rings and piezoelectric igniter. So i have been thinking of buying it, and using the jet. One last stumbling block though, what could i use to attach the jet to the gas tube. gonna use a metal ink refill tube. could i cast the two component into a block of high temp epoxy putty.
If you're going to have only one jet and low pressure I think your going to wind up with nothing more than a flame like you would get out of a Bic lighter.

All you can do is try the putty to see if holds. I had a failure once with JB weld that was close to the flame at about 1/2 inch away. The aluminum was conducting heat down to the area that had the weld. I had sanded the area and also degreased with acetone befor applying the JB weld.
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

User avatar
zelph
Posts: 15834
Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2007 1:53 pm

Re: new UL Canister Burner project

Post by zelph » Fri Feb 06, 2009 3:54 pm

Vibe wrote:.
While I was there I also found a "Venom" energy drink aluminum bottle. Wall weight is on par with the beer bottles, but diameter is the same as a coke can, larger mouth and shorter neck than the Bud bottles as well. I'm going to have to try and make a couple of rolled edge VenoMeth stoves.
The name Venometh sounds European, I like it!!!! :D Sounds like a good project going to happen, waytogo.
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

Vibe
Posts: 372
Joined: Mon Dec 01, 2008 5:28 pm
Location: Little Rock, AR.

Re: new UL Canister Burner project

Post by Vibe » Fri Feb 06, 2009 4:01 pm

zelph wrote: If you're going to have only one jet and low pressure I think your going to wind up with nothing more than a flame like you would get out of a Bic lighter.
Zelph. you have to remember that DarenNs stove only has one jet as well. it's the diffuser at the top that spreads the flame out.
The opinion of 10,000 men is of no value if none of them know anything about the subject.
- Marcus Aurelius--------------------------------------------- Image

Post Reply