new UL Canister Burner project

Post your new stove ideas here! All stoves welcome.
Tony

Re: new UL Canister Burner project

Post by Tony » Wed Sep 17, 2008 5:57 pm

Hi Daren,
stay tuned to this station, folks! :D

it's done and it works!! :mrgreen:

i can't tell you how excited i am right now. :ugeek:

Daren..........
Some photo's please.

Ridgerunner wrote:

: i broke a #80 drill bit today working on the jet. i'll have to start over on the jet. good thing i've got lots of brass rod laying around.

Yes, but how many #80 drill bits do you have laying around? :lol: You might have to actually break down and BUY some of those. :o :lol:

only one more. :o
From experience, drilling with small drills requires lots of patience only drilling in a very small depth at a time the removing the drill from the hole to clean the shavings out the repeating the operation,very small drills can break very easily if this is not done. I sometimes do this 20+ times for a few mm depth, it is very easy to loose patience and try and go that bit deeper but I find that is when drills break. I have drilled as small as 0.1 mm (0.004") holes the 0.1 mm drills break from touching with the finger.

Tony

DarenN

Post by DarenN » Wed Sep 17, 2008 6:15 pm

weeeelllll, i was gonna string you guys along for a while, but i'm too excited about the new burner so here it is. ((jeeze! i feel like a kid at Christmas! :oops: ))

1" diameter. 2.25" tall.
complete burner weighs 1 ounce.
valve and hose weighs 1.3 ounces.
total 2.3 ounces (35.2 grams).

the parts. base, mixing tube, burner head:

assembled and hooked up:

another view:

low flame (it will go lower):

high flame:

i ended up useing a jet from a Himalaya Varifuel. the Kerosene jet at .011" (.28mm).
i have an idea for the potstand that i need to work on a bit more before trying it.

Daren........
"I'd rather be happy than right." Slartibartfast

Ridgerunner

Post by Ridgerunner » Wed Sep 17, 2008 7:02 pm

I know one very happy Canadian. :D Excellent work Dek ! :lol: . It has a very concentrated flame pattern. What is the height of the burner assembled and do you think you might design a potstand that would also give your burner more stability? Congrats on your achievement. :mrgreen:
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

Tony

Post by Tony » Wed Sep 17, 2008 8:13 pm

Hi Daren,

Thanks for the photo's, excellent work, I am impressed, I can see that you are a tradesman with many years experience.

Welcome to the canister stove makers club, your next challenge is to make a valve.

I have made a similar design and size burner head using mesh as the burner plate and the yellow flame that you get in the middle on low power is a sign of low air in that region and can be fixed placing a metal disc in the center of the mesh to keep the flame to the outer edge where it can draw in some air (note that the Pocket Rocket has no holes in the center). The Jet boil burner head places some fiberglass type material in the center to avoid this.

Another trick that I have recently discovered is that I use is a deflector plate in the burner head, I am unable to show what I mean as I have loaned out the stove to a friend for last weekend, I will post some photos of an example soon.

Flame at low power no yellow shows good mixing (sorry for the poor pics)

Flame at high power

Tony

DarenN

Post by DarenN » Wed Sep 17, 2008 8:23 pm

Ridgerunner wrote:I know one very happy Canadian. :D Excellent work Dek ! :lol: . It has a very concentrated flame pattern. What is the height of the burner assembled and do you think you might design a potstand that would also give your burner more stability? Congrats on your achievement. :mrgreen:
pay attention Ridgerunner :lol: . 2 1/4" tall. :mrgreen: the Deacon has spoken! :mrgreen:
the flame is soft enough that it spreads across the entire bottom of the pot at 3/4" spaceing.
the potstand (that i have on paper) will level and stabalize the burner and support the pot quite nicely.

thanks, but conking rats may be a bit premature. i'm haveing some trouble getting everything sealed tightly in the base. also a problem with the hose not being heat resistant enough. at high output it lights up in a ball of flame after a while. i'm blameing the difference in expansion coefficients of different materials. ei; aluminum, brass, and steel all expand at different rates and percentages when heated. this causes leaks at the fittings when everything starts heating up. i'll use VHT silicone as a last resort.

Daren.....

DarenN

Post by DarenN » Wed Sep 17, 2008 8:34 pm

Tony;
i spot welded a 3/8" round knockout in the center of the screen. you can sorta see it in the 'another view' pic. i've got another piece of screen with a bit bigger knockout spotwelded to it. i'll try that next.

as i don't have a milling machine, and can't afford one, i think i'll stick with the Brunton valve for now. the next project will be the horizontal burner that you made. i just need to get this vertical one squared away first.

thanks for all your help, Tony.

Daren.......

Ridgerunner

Post by Ridgerunner » Wed Sep 17, 2008 9:04 pm

1" diameter. 2.25" tall.
complete burner weighs 1 ounce.
valve and hose weighs 1.3 ounces.
total 2.3 ounces (35.2 grams).
:oops: :oops: :oops:

Sorry Deke, I was sooo mesmirized by your pics that I did not pay close attension to the specs. My bad. I better sit in the front pew next time. :lol:
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

Tony

Post by Tony » Wed Sep 17, 2008 9:14 pm

Hi Daren,
i spot welded a 3/8" round knockout in the center of the screen. you can sorta see it in the 'another view' pic. i've got another piece of screen with a bit bigger knockout spotwelded to it. i'll try that next.
Now that you pointed it out I can see it, good.
as i don't have a milling machine, and can't afford one, i think i'll stick with the Brunton valve for now. the next project will be the horizontal burner that you made. i just need to get this vertical one squared away first.
I do not have mill at home either, only I have a milling attachment for my lathe at home, it is a bit crappy but with care it can do the job, for the serious milling I can use the mill at work.

The Brunton valve looks good, I have considered getting one to try out, they are sold under Kovea name here in OZ.

Tony

DarenN

Post by DarenN » Wed Sep 17, 2008 9:16 pm

Ridgerunner wrote:Sorry Deke, I was sooo mesmirized by your pics that I did not pay close attension to the specs. My bad. I better sit in the front pew next time. :lol:

no need for the front pew, my son. 8-) just say a couple "Hail Trangia's" and meditate over an alcohol flame for, lets say, a half ounce. we'll call it square. :mrgreen:

DarenN

Post by DarenN » Wed Sep 17, 2008 9:24 pm

Tony wrote:Hi Daren,
Now that you pointed it out I can see it, good.
I do not have mill at home either, only I have a milling attachment for my lathe at home, it is a bit crappy but with care it can do the job, for the serious milling I can use the mill at work.

The Brunton valve looks good, I have considered getting one to try out, they are sold under Kovea name here in OZ.

Tony
being all brass, the Brunton valve is quite heavey. it does have the benefit of having the hose free to swivel.

my old "South Bend" lathe is in pretty bad shape. it's so old it is a "gear change lathe". :o i know that the milling attachment parts are available for it, but i'm not sure it's worth spending the money on when i could buy a lathe/mill combo.

Daren........