new UL Canister Burner project

Post your new stove ideas here! All stoves welcome.
zelph

Re: new UL Canister Burner project

Post by zelph » Mon Feb 09, 2009 7:18 pm

Vibe wrote:Yeah Zelph. I just ran into the same thing today. But I didn't have to cut it up. The small "bump" on the valve cap is really the turn limiting pin. It pulls out fairly easily with a pair of wire cutters, and the whole top will screw off for cleaning. I'm going to take one of the nozzle assemblies into work tonight and look at it under one of our 25x stereo microscopes, and possibly a MicroView examiner. I should be able to measure the diameter of the jet in it. I might just enlarge that jet to get a stronger flow while I'm at it. I'll let you guys know what I find.
Good to know about the "bump" :D thanks.

Heres a photo of one being used on a trial stove. Not anywhere near the amount of oxygen was let in using the modified micro torch head.

http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

Vibe

Post by Vibe » Tue Feb 10, 2009 10:48 am

OK. Took the torch to work. the orifice plate is on the order of 0.085" diameter with a 0.0035" hole in the center. that's 3-1/2 thousandths diameter. smallest drill bit I have is a #81 which is 13.5 thou diameter. A hole with 15 times the area and with flow characteristics included on that would allow more than 20 times the gas flow...way more than I need, or would like. Working on another method of incremental increases.
The opinion of 10,000 men is of no value if none of them know anything about the subject.
- Marcus Aurelius--------------------------------------------- Image

DarenN

Post by DarenN » Tue Feb 17, 2009 9:44 pm

a new canister burner has come to life here at Neufeld Designs.

i came up with the idea for the burner base/potstand support while stuck in traffic one afternoon and staring at my hood ornament, (i drive an old Mercedes sedan).

the burner assembly, base ring. and potstand legs weigh a total of 27 grams. 3" diameter, 2 3/8" hieght o/a. basicly the same as my earlier vertical burner, it will boil two cups in 6 minutes on 6 grams of fuel. however, the new burner is very stable, eliminating the stability issues i had with the first one.

Daren........
"I'd rather be happy than right." Slartibartfast

irrationalsolutions

Post by irrationalsolutions » Tue Feb 17, 2009 9:50 pm

thats cool. when do we get to see it burning?
“Do or do not... there is NO try.” Yoda

Luke "Whats in (out) there?" Yoda "Only what you take with you."

Luke "I can’t believe it." Yoda "That is why you Fail.”

DarenN

Post by DarenN » Tue Feb 17, 2009 9:52 pm

irrationalsolutions wrote:thats cool. when do we get to see it burning?
look back earlier in this thread. at the pics from after i changed to the solid burner plate (end of page 10). looks identical.

zelph

Post by zelph » Tue Feb 17, 2009 9:54 pm

Nice, very nice. I can see the hood ornament element there. It's cool where we get ideas from to adapt into our designs. Next time I stop at a light I'll look for something to incorporate in to my next stove or whatever.

Your new design looks super stable. Nice rework there. The holes make it look "Tactical" :mrgreen:

irrationalsolutions

Post by irrationalsolutions » Tue Feb 17, 2009 9:58 pm

ok i got it now. nice looks like it should work well for you. very nice craftsman ship, as usual.
“Do or do not... there is NO try.” Yoda

Luke "Whats in (out) there?" Yoda "Only what you take with you."

Luke "I can’t believe it." Yoda "That is why you Fail.”

DarenN

Post by DarenN » Sun Aug 23, 2009 1:38 pm

a couple of mods to this stove, and two week-long trips useing it exclusively. it's very efficient, useing only 100 grams of fuel on my latest trip of 6 nights.

zelph

Post by zelph » Mon Aug 24, 2009 8:25 pm

Congrats, very successful design. Was there anything that came to mind that you might change?

DarenN

Post by DarenN » Mon Aug 24, 2009 9:33 pm

what i changed was, i went to four potstand legs (from three). it's way more stable now. i also changed the fuel input tube so that it curves around the outside of the potstand legs. this allows me to roll the braided fuel line around the legs. the stove will now fit into a three inch coffee cup.
i wouldn't change anything else. it works really well!!

Daren.......