new UL Canister Burner project

Post your new stove ideas here! All stoves welcome.
Roy

Re: new UL Canister Burner project

Post by Roy » Mon Aug 24, 2009 9:53 pm

And it just looks so cool. Nice work.

zelph

Post by zelph » Tue Aug 25, 2009 10:19 am

DarenN wrote:what i changed was, i went to four potstand legs (from three). it's way more stable now. i also changed the fuel input tube so that it curves around the outside of the potstand legs. this allows me to roll the braided fuel line around the legs. the stove will now fit into a three inch coffee cup.
i wouldn't change anything else. it works really well!!

Daren.......
I'm convinced you've got it maxed out to it's perfection. Will you be making any available to paddler friends and hiking friends? :D
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

DarenN

Post by DarenN » Tue Aug 25, 2009 7:51 pm

zelph wrote: Will you be making any available to paddler friends and hiking friends? :D
nope. sorry. they are just too labor intensive to build. aluminum stock is not cheap. requires the sacrifice of a Brunton stand to get the valve and hose. plus: i recall reading that someone looked into getting the required clearance to market a DIY gas appliance. far too costly, and time consuming. i'll stick to my wood stoves.
"I'd rather be happy than right." Slartibartfast

realityguy

Post by realityguy » Tue Aug 25, 2009 9:14 pm

Can't you use old mercedes hood ornaments for the base? :o
:mrgreen:
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

zelph

Post by zelph » Tue Aug 25, 2009 9:25 pm

Give them away and charge what is necessary for shipping to make up for your time and materials and tag on whatever else might be necessary. :mrgreen:

DarenN

Post by DarenN » Sat Oct 03, 2009 11:55 am

here's how it looks now.

this was a great summer for kayaking! :D
i had one 4 night trip; one 5 night trip; and three 6 night trips. i used this little stove on all trips, and kept track of fuel usage. the best it did was on the last trip, using only 18 grams per day. the only thing i want to change is to try a larger diameter burner head in an effort to get a larger flame spread and eliminate the hot spot when using it under a frypan. the current head is 1"diameter. i have some 1-1/4", and 1-1/2" aluminum stock to work with. i'll let you know how it works out.

Daren......

zelph

Post by zelph » Mon Oct 05, 2009 1:59 pm

You sure di provide us with some very interesting and fun photos and info of your trips. Thank You very much Daren. Keep us informed on the upgrade to a larger flame pattern.

Tony

Post by Tony » Thu Oct 08, 2009 6:19 pm

Hi Daren,
DarenN wrote:here's how it looks now.

i had one 4 night trip; one 5 night trip; and three 6 night trips. i used this little stove on all trips, and kept track of fuel usage. the best it did was on the last trip, using only 18 grams per day. the only thing i want to change is to try a larger diameter burner head in an effort to get a larger flame spread and eliminate the hot spot when using it under a frypan. the current head is 1"diameter. i have some 1-1/4", and 1-1/2" aluminum stock to work with. i'll let you know how it works out.

Daren......
Nice work, it is amazing how our LW stoves have evolved to look similar, below is a picture of my latest version of my stove. I like the way you have attached the burner to the outer ring. I have not used mine much in the field as the burner is to small for cooking large meals for two, I also have plans for a larger burner. I also have plans for a multi fuel stove.

Tony

Ridgerunner

Post by Ridgerunner » Thu Oct 08, 2009 7:44 pm

Are you sure you guys aren't related? Nicely done, also, Tony. What are you using for your fuel line?
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

DarenN

Post by DarenN » Thu Oct 08, 2009 7:54 pm

hi Tony;
yours looks way lighter than mine! is your base milled from one piece? setting up my old lathe as a horizontal mill hasn't really worked out well enough for that kind of machining.

in my pic, the burner head is 1" (2.54cm) diameter. i'm going to just make a couple different sized heads that are interchangable. one at 1.25" and one at 1.5". after that i'm going to make a copy that is fully operational but all made of brass and polished to a mirror finish. it will have a place on display in my living room. ;) vanity; i guess, but what the hell! :mrgreen:

Daren........