new UL Canister Burner project

Post your new stove ideas here! All stoves welcome.
DarenN

Re: new UL Canister Burner project

Post by DarenN » Wed Sep 17, 2008 9:31 pm

UPDATE!!

i over-analized. it was just the plastic hose. i put the armoured hose from the Brunton stand back on it and it works like a charm. it's quite slow to boil, though. 2cups-five minutes. Tony, if i bore out the jet to 0.35mm (from 0.28) will it make more heat?

Daren........
"I'd rather be happy than right." Slartibartfast

Tony

Post by Tony » Wed Sep 17, 2008 9:49 pm

Hi Daren,
it's quite slow to boil, though. 2cups-five minutes. Tony, if i bore out the jet to 0.35mm (from 0.28) will it make more heat?
you have me a bit on this one, my first thoughts are that the bigger jet will not make much difference with heating times but it is worth a try, let me know how you go.

From my testing, boiling two cups in around 5 minutes it is an efficient time, much faster it will start loose efficiency as the pot cannot absorb the heat that is being thrown at it. slow is usually more efficient, It also depends on what size pot you are using.

Tony

DarenN

Post by DarenN » Wed Sep 17, 2008 10:08 pm

agreed that slow is more efficient.
i was just being lazy. thought maybe you had done some testing on heat output per jet size.
i'm not going to drill this jet out untill i have more jets to play around with. now that i have the air leaks fixed and the burner working reasonably well i want to have backup parts before i go changing things.

things i might try are to shorten the burner head (i can turn a new one) and shorten the mixing tube (same). any thoughts on these changes?

i have a few pieces of brass and copper stock laying around. i have a strong urge to build one in brass and copper just for show (but still operational).

Daren.........

DaddyMnM

Post by DaddyMnM » Wed Sep 17, 2008 10:32 pm

Looks like you are having fun, Daren. Thanks for showing us the intermediate steps as you work towards the final product. All in all, you seem to be on the fast track with this one.

I am not sure if it would work for you, but you might take a look at silicon tubing. You can get some in a variety of diameters in hobby shops as it is used as fuel line for RC airplanes and cars. I bought a few feet for a few dollars US locally to fix an old stove. Here is a link to an example:

http://www.aerotrend.com/shop_subcat.php?subcat=2

DarenN

Post by DarenN » Wed Sep 17, 2008 10:52 pm

DaddyMnM wrote:Looks like you are having fun, Daren. Thanks for showing us the intermediate steps as you work towards the final product. All in all, you seem to be on the fast track with this one.

I am not sure if it would work for you, but you might take a look at silicon tubing. You can get some in a variety of diameters in hobby shops as it is used as fuel line for RC airplanes and cars. I bought a few feet for a few dollars US locally to fix an old stove. Here is a link to an example:

http://www.aerotrend.com/shop_subcat.php?subcat=2
what a great idea!! thanks DMnM!

Daren.......

Tony

Post by Tony » Thu Sep 18, 2008 12:52 am

Hi Daren,
i was just being lazy. thought maybe you had done some testing on heat output per jet size.
I have done some but not enough to know what happens with small changes in jet sizes, I know that if the jet is too small the velocity is of the gas coming out of the jet is high enough to causes flame liftoff.

I have tried jets 0.12 mm, 0.16 mm, 0.18 mm, 0.20 mm and they all had problems with flame lift off only when I went to 0.32 mm did I have success.
things i might try are to shorten the burner head (i can turn a new one) and shorten the mixing tube (same). any thoughts on these changes?
Shortening the mixing tube length is something I have done, if too short, not enough fuel air mixing happens but a deflector plate helps worth playing with. pictures below. also air intake hole sizes can make a difference.

my SUUL stove has a deflector plate in it. The deflector plate in the larger stove sits about 3 mm of the bottom on the burner head, the arms are to locate.

With the shorter burner head try a short one but I was not that successful as the gas and air need room to mix, you might be.
i have a few pieces of brass and copper stock laying around. i have a strong urge to build one in brass and copper just for show (but still operational).
A brass and copper stove would look nice.

Tony

zelph

Post by zelph » Thu Sep 18, 2008 2:53 pm

Lots of good information coming in here. Thanks a million. I wanna be a stove designer when I grow up :D

Something I read recently on the site that gave the jet size for alcohol is the deflector plate in the 1111 stove was loose to provide a safety factor if the stove was tipped over. I imagine flame lift off would occur and no fire hazard would exist. What's your opinion on that info. :?:
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

DarenN

Post by DarenN » Thu Sep 18, 2008 4:24 pm

zelph wrote:Something I read recently on the site that gave the jet size for alcohol is the deflector plate in the 1111 stove was loose to provide a safety factor if the stove was tipped over. I imagine flame lift off would occur and no fire hazard would exist. What's your opinion on that info. :?:
i haven't tried a deflector plate, but it seems to me that if the stove is running that close to lift off that the only thing making it work is the deflector, that the stove might be poorly designed. i could very easily be wrong on this.

Daren........

DarenN

Post by DarenN » Thu Sep 18, 2008 4:30 pm

i built the potstand today. i know, i know! loose parts. the legs can be left in their holes and folded instead of removing them.

Daren.......

Ridgerunner

Post by Ridgerunner » Thu Sep 18, 2008 4:47 pm

Very nice Daren. If you had the supports coming thru the base a little further and bent or capped the end so that it could only drop down far enough to let you fold your legs and never have to worry about losing a leg. ;)
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !