new UL Canister Burner project

Post your new stove ideas here! All stoves welcome.
DarenN

Re: new UL Canister Burner project

Post by DarenN » Thu Sep 18, 2008 5:09 pm

Ridgerunner wrote:Very nice Daren. If you had the supports coming thru the base a little further and bent or capped the end so that it could only drop down far enough to let you fold your legs and never have to worry about losing a leg. ;)
yes, i thought about that. if i was to make one for someone else, that's what i would do. i'd just squash the ends so they wouldn't pull out.

Daren........
"I'd rather be happy than right." Slartibartfast

Tony

Post by Tony » Thu Sep 18, 2008 6:33 pm

Hi Daren,
i haven't tried a deflector plate, but it seems to me that if the stove is running that close to lift off that the only thing making it work is the deflector, that the stove might be poorly designed. i could very easily be wrong on this.
I got the idea of the deflector plate from pulling apart backpacking commercial stove burners (coleman, primus and Jetboil) a lot of them have a deflector plate in the burner heads, putting a deflector plate in my burner head certainly solved a lot of problems that I was having with lift off and yellow flame, you can make up your own mind if your burner needs it. With your skills it should be an easy thing to do.

How stable is the pot stand with a 1.5l pot full of water on it and have you tried the pot stand at full flame for a full boil.

Tony

DarenN

Post by DarenN » Thu Sep 18, 2008 8:16 pm

Tony wrote:Hi Daren,
I got the idea of the deflector plate from pulling apart backpacking commercial stove burners (coleman, primus and Jetboil) a lot of them have a deflector plate in the burner heads, putting a deflector plate in my burner head certainly solved a lot of problems that I was having with lift off and yellow flame, you can make up your own mind if your burner needs it. With your skills it should be an easy thing to do.

How stable is the pot stand with a 1.5l pot full of water on it and have you tried the pot stand at full flame for a full boil.

Tony
so far, i haven't had any problems with lift off, even with the smaller (0.28mm) jet.
you're right, the d-plate would be an easy build. i've filed it away in the meat computer for future referance.

1.5 liters of water, huh? did i mention i'm a solo guy? :D i'll give it a try. :lol:
if i have problems with the aluminum potstand legs i'll switch them out for s/s.

Daren.......

zelph

Post by zelph » Thu Sep 18, 2008 8:41 pm

You guys got my attention when you said slow is efficient. :D

The all famous Supercat boiled 2 cups of water in my aluminum 2.5 cup pot. Fuel used was 1/2 ounce of denatured. Time was 4.25 min.

Bench tested several times under optimum conditions.

The pot can absorb the heat quickly.

The longer it takes to boil under optimum conditions, tthe longer it's going to take under field conditions and in some cases won't acheive a boil because of loss of heat while waiting for the stove to slowly provide more. Something like that ;) :D
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

DarenN

Post by DarenN » Thu Sep 18, 2008 9:01 pm

Tony wrote:

Tony
i got out a 2 liter pot and gave it a try with 1.5 liters of tap water. for the big 6" diameter pot i bent the potstand arms out to a 4" diameter circle, from the three inch original pattern. the water boiled in jig time with no potstand problems from heat. stability was quite good with the big pot.
i think that having the potstand legs splayed out a bit helps with stability.

Tony;
you can see that i have not incorporated an evaporater tube on this stove. i don't go out when it's cold, so, no need.
once this big pot was boiling i turned the canister over for a liquid fuel burn; just to see if it would do it. it performed just fine. i guess that the aluminum body of the burner makes enough heat to make the evap tube un-nesseccary; un-required; not needed (is there a trick to remembering how to spell 'nessescary'??).

Daren........

oops56

Post by oops56 » Thu Sep 18, 2008 9:08 pm

see what you guys did to me i just had to get one new 18.00 free shipping i got some fuel coming also this town did not have any nowhere. It just to use in shop no make over like you guys. Crown BSR-5

Man play with fire man get burnt

DarenN

Post by DarenN » Thu Sep 18, 2008 9:14 pm

oops56 wrote:see what you guys did to me i just had to get one new 18.00 free shipping i got some fuel coming also this town did not have any nowhere. It just to use in shop no make over like you guys. Crown BSR-5

looks good Oops! a Pocket Rocket knock off to be sure, but some thought went into the flipout pot support arms. looks a bit like the optimus crux arms.
good price too.

Daren.......

zelph

Post by zelph » Thu Sep 18, 2008 9:32 pm

oops56 wrote:see what you guys did to me i just had to get one new 18.00 free shipping i got some fuel coming also this town did not have any nowhere. It just to use in shop no make over like you guys. Crown BSR-5

No Makeover???? What you mean, no makeover :?: Oh, I see!!!! :D Now that you wear the apron in the house :roll: No makovers :lol:

Just lots of Leftovers :lol:

DarenN

Post by DarenN » Thu Sep 18, 2008 9:35 pm

zelph wrote:

No Makeover???? What you mean, no makeover :?: Oh, I see!!!! :D Now that you wear the apron in the house :roll: No makovers :lol:

Just lots of Leftovers :lol:
maybe oops could get his own-selph one of them make-overs. maybe a spa weekend! with a pedicure!!! :mrgreen:

Daren........

zelph

Post by zelph » Thu Sep 18, 2008 9:37 pm

Facial hair removed via the wax process OUCH!!!!! :lol: