new UL Canister Burner project

Post your new stove ideas here! All stoves welcome.
DarenN

Re: new UL Canister Burner project

Post by DarenN » Sun Oct 19, 2008 7:23 pm

Tony wrote:
5.5 grams of fuel for 2cups in 7m 30s is a good result.

Tony
thanks Tony;

i've been testing that horizontal burner all day, (well, i had a nap, and did some other stuff :lol: ), and graphed my test results.

from 9.5grams/3.25minutes i have a steady downwards trend, out to about 7.0minutes/5.5grams. it levels off from there on, out past 10.0minutes. (i actually had a 4.5g/7.75minutes reading! :o this is not an exact science, kids!) i'm still trying to get a reading at about 6.5minutes. got a bald spot in the graph.

i'm also going to test the vertical burner i made. one test at about 7.75minutes showed way higher fuel useage @ 7grams.

Daren........
"I'd rather be happy than right." Slartibartfast

zelph

Post by zelph » Sun Oct 19, 2008 10:28 pm

I'm reading and watching your progress :D I'm paying attention to the teachers :mrgreen:

Keep up the good progress, thumbs up Decon Daren :D
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

DarenN

Post by DarenN » Mon Oct 20, 2008 8:35 am

Tony wrote: all of the problems that you are experiencing with the flame, I have had the same experience, as you are doing, I tried lots of different things until I was happy with the results, all of this experience has helped with my later projects.
Tony
question for you Tony.
i'm just curious why you went from the vertical type to the horizontal and then back to vertical. did you have some unresolvable issue with the horizontal?

Daren.......

DarenN

Post by DarenN » Mon Oct 20, 2008 10:30 am

i've done some tests on the vertical burner and it shows the same trend as the horizontal. from 4.0 minutes/10.5 grams the graph falls steadily to about 6 minutes/7 grams were it flattens out and holds steady out past 10 minutes.

comparing these two burners to each other is probably not the right thing to do. they are a completely different in configuration, and they have different sized jets. but what it does show is that slower boil times are more fuel efficient. no matter that the burners are totally different.

i've had a lot of fun testing these burners! burned up about 10 bucks worth of fuel doing it. :o

Daren.......

zelph

Post by zelph » Mon Oct 20, 2008 11:59 am

Money spent on stove stuff is tax deductable :lol: :lol: Considered medical supplies for mental health maintenance :lol: :lol:

Your testing has taught us alot. Thanks Decon Daren.

My horizontal kept getting flash backs into the air mix area :lol: I think I can reduce the size of the holes ;)

We appreciate your sharing of test data, thank you!!!!

Tony

Post by Tony » Mon Oct 20, 2008 5:33 pm

Hi Daren,
question for you Tony.
i'm just curious why you went from the vertical type to the horizontal and then back to vertical. did you have some unresolvable issue with the horizontal?
Good question. I wanted to make the lightest canister stove that I could and decided that I could make the upright stove and stand a bit lighter but as the SUUL has developed it has gained some weight and now it is not that much lighter, it has been a fantastic learning experience as I now understand much more about the air fuel mixing process in the burner head.

My next project is to make a very light side burner to go inside a Caldera cone.

Tony

Tony

Post by Tony » Mon Oct 20, 2008 5:44 pm

Hi Daren,
i've done some tests on the vertical burner and it shows the same trend as the horizontal. from 4.0 minutes/10.5 grams the graph falls steadily to about 6 minutes/7 grams were it flattens out and holds steady out past 10 minutes.

comparing these two burners to each other is probably not the right thing to do. they are a completely different in configuration, and they have different sized jets. but what it does show is that slower boil times are more fuel efficient. no matter that the burners are totally different.

i've had a lot of fun testing these burners! burned up about 10 bucks worth of fuel doing it. :o
These are the same results that I have been getting and posting for years now, for a canister stoves 6 minutes to boil 0.5l is about optimum, the thing that intrigues me is the Trangia 27 that I have, on full throttle boils 0.5l in 6 minutes???.

I have done some very slow tests of over 30 minutes with only a light drop off in efficiency.

I have also seen this trend of slower is more efficient with alcohol stoves.

The major stove manufactures that brag that speed in boiling is related to efficiency are full of BS.

Tony

DarenN

Post by DarenN » Mon Oct 20, 2008 6:21 pm

Tony wrote:The major stove manufactures that brag that speed in boiling is related to efficiency are full of BS. Tony
you sure hit the nail on the head, eh. (Canada).

you ain't just whistling Dixie, son. (U.S.)

fair dinkum, mate. (Australia)

:lol: :lol: :lol:
((sorry, just goofing around.))

kayakers are some of the worst offenders on this topic. most seem to follow the fast is better camp. i've been trying to re-educate them but it's a tough go. "you can lead a horticulture but you can't make her think." (i just know that Zelphie's got the t-shirt! my sis does! :D )
i hear this kind of crap all the time...... planning a three night trip.........
"how much fuel should i take?"
"i'll just top up my 0.6 liter bottle."
"a liter should cover it."
"i bet i can get by on half a liter."
then the Church of Trangia Deacon says.....
"i'm taking 350ml. it's about twice what i need but i might need some extra if i have to boil some crabs or clams, or fry oysters."
then i hear.....
:lol: :lol: :lol:
"it's ok. you can use my stove if you need to."

never had to yet.

Daren.........

zelph

Post by zelph » Tue Oct 21, 2008 12:04 am

You tellum Decon Daren.

I like in between better than slow. Happy medium type a guy, in between the tracks :D

DarenN

Post by DarenN » Tue Oct 21, 2008 7:28 pm

i just had to try it, so i BS'd a propane torch valve to accept a hose. you know the torch i'm talking about; it just screws onto the top of a one pound propane bottle. i hooked up the horizontal burner first (#80 jet) and it worked but not all that well. then i tried the vertical burner (#85 jet) and it worked like a hot damn. beautiful clean blue flame all the way from low to high. i'd post pics but photobucket is acting up again.

Daren......