new UL Canister Burner project

Post your new stove ideas here! All stoves welcome.
zelph

Re: new UL Canister Burner project

Post by zelph » Tue Oct 21, 2008 9:30 pm

DarenN wrote:i just had to try it, so i BS'd a propane torch valve to accept a hose. you know the torch i'm talking about; it just screws onto the top of a one pound propane bottle. i hooked up the horizontal burner first (#80 jet) and it worked but not all that well. then i tried the vertical burner (#85 jet) and it worked like a hot damn. beautiful clean blue flame all the way from low to high. i'd post pics but photobucket is acting up again.

Daren......
OK, I'll be waiting patiently :geek: I"ve got a pretty good burner head made up waiting for the JB weld to cure. Mixed only a small amount, not enough to try out the cool tip from Irrationalsolutions to do the pastry applicator.
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

DarenN

Post by DarenN » Tue Oct 21, 2008 9:55 pm

zelph wrote: the pastry applicator.
that is an old one to us boat builders. an even better one is to use a cheap syringe. throw it away when you're done.

Daren......
"I'd rather be happy than right." Slartibartfast

Tony

Post by Tony » Tue Oct 21, 2008 11:57 pm

that is an old one to us boat builders. an even better one is to use a cheap syringe. throw it away when you're done.

Daren......
A great tip Daren.

At work I use syringes all of the time for glue applications, I also use cut off hypodermic needles to use for very fine gluing jobs, the size depends on the thickness of the glue.

Tony

zelph

Post by zelph » Wed Oct 22, 2008 9:43 am

Tony wrote:

Daren......
A great tip Daren.

At work I use syringes all of the time for glue applications, I also use cut off hypodermic needles to use for very fine gluing jobs, the size depends on the thickness of the glue.

Tony
It was nice and cool in the garage when I mixed up what I needed. The batch was thick as all get out, no flow type :mrgreen: Had to take it into the house to cure overnight. This morning it's hard as nails :) Now to test it, fingers crossed ;)

DarenN

Post by DarenN » Wed Oct 22, 2008 5:58 pm

the valve:

the flame:

the propane bottle is less than half full so it's not burning liquid fuel. when i inverted the bottle to pick up liquid fuel the flame increased dramaticly.

Daren.......

Tony

Post by Tony » Wed Oct 22, 2008 6:14 pm

Hi Zelph,
It was nice and cool in the garage when I mixed up what I needed. The batch was thick as all get out, no flow type :mrgreen: Had to take it into the house to cure overnight. This morning it's hard as nails :) Now to test it, fingers crossed ;)
I am looking forward to seeing some pictures and reading results.

Tony

Tony

Post by Tony » Wed Oct 22, 2008 6:26 pm

Hi Daren,

Great work, I am really enjoying seeing some other canister stove makers at work. You and Zelph are starting to firing me up to start my next canister stove project.

I can see you starting to make UL valves soon.
the propane bottle is less than half full so it's not burning liquid fuel. when i inverted the bottle to pick up liquid fuel the flame increased dramatically.
That is because the gasses expand about 400+ times from liquid to gas. It is a pity that Propane canisters are so heavy it is the best fuel for fairly cold temperatures -25ºC and above.

Tony

zelph

Post by zelph » Wed Oct 22, 2008 10:05 pm

I am looking forward to seeing some pictures and reading results.

Tony
I did post them on the other thread.

I need to get my lathe working to be able to make the valves. Not enough time in a day :roll:

I need to get the air mix right and placement of the jet.

Daren, thanks for getting those photos, I can see clearly now :) I use a same size tank with a push button torch atached with a flex tube that carries fuel to test burner. Ain't going to keep buying the pint size canisters :lol:

DarenN

Post by DarenN » Sun Nov 23, 2008 8:45 pm

the vertical burner has gotten some upgrades. i added an evap tube to the fuel line inlet cause i had a "DOH" moment when Tony said something about "one stove for everything", also, i found out that the fuel line of the Brunton stand needs some protection from the heat of the burner.
prior to that i had replaced the top with a perforated S/S burner plate.
pics:

low flame:

high flame:

Daren........

Tony

Post by Tony » Sun Nov 23, 2008 10:42 pm

Hi Daren,

Great work, the flame looks nice with good air fuel mixing.

I used my little stove on a walk last weekend in worked perfectly, but was a little slow when boiling a large quantity of water, I will have to finish my larger burner head which looks a lot like your burner head above.

Tony