Most efficient alcohol stove?

Post your new stove ideas here! All stoves welcome.
Tony

Re: Most efficient alcohol stove?

Post by Tony » Sun Oct 26, 2008 11:07 pm

Hi dlarson,
Tony, you mentioned using balsa wood for a pack frame.
I was considering the strength of balsa one day when I was thinking about DIY trekking polls. It occurred to me that balsa wrapped in carbon fiber might be able to provide a lot of strength.
I do not think that Balsa wood would make a good basis for a trekking pole as it seems to be week in its bending strength, its main strength is is tension.

Tony

zelph

Post by zelph » Mon Oct 27, 2008 10:13 am

Tony wrote:Hi dlarson,
Tony, you mentioned using balsa wood for a pack frame.
I was considering the strength of balsa one day when I was thinking about DIY trekking polls. It occurred to me that balsa wrapped in carbon fiber might be able to provide a lot of strength.
I do not think that Balsa wood would make a good basis for a trekking pole as it seems to be week in its bending strength, its main strength is is tension.

Tony
Even though the pole would flex slightly, do you still think that the pole would fracture? If it were wrapped with carbon fiber would it not increase it's strength greatly?

I never knew carbon fiber was flexable like fiberglass cloth :lol: I've not looked into the subject, sorry!!!
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

Tony

Post by Tony » Mon Oct 27, 2008 5:34 pm

Hi Zelph,
Even though the pole would flex slightly, do you still think that the pole would fracture? If it were wrapped with carbon fiber would it not increase it's strength greatly?

I never knew carbon fiber was flexable like fiberglass cloth :lol: I've not looked into the subject, sorry!!!
I do not know that much about carbon fiber but reports on BPL.com about carbon fiber pole report that they break easily, that is why I have stuck with some HD aluminum poles. It could be that encasing Balsa wood would make it much stronger but without testing the idea I would not really be able to comment.

I have just ran some tests on the latest bridge design and we had failure at over 26kg (The scales calibrated max) x 5 = 130kg which is 1275 N, this would be a record I hope this happens in the real test on Thursday.

Bridge Testing Rig

zelph

Post by zelph » Mon Oct 27, 2008 7:03 pm

Interesting test set-up. Nice gearmotor/winch ;)

Hope you dooooo have a record breaker, that would be great :D

I have a sheet or two of 1/8 X 4 x 36" that I could laminate up and do a test of sorts :D

(when can I find the time to do that? in between what stove? :lol: :lol: :lol: )

dlarson
Site Admin

Post by dlarson » Wed Oct 29, 2008 4:11 pm

I've wanted to work with carbon fiber for a while now but haven't for a few reasons; it can be pricey, ideally it should be vacuum bagged and it can be hard to find. Between the aerospace companies building carbon fiber jumbo jets and the U.S. armed forces using it for helicopters and everything else, there has been something of a shortage for a while now.

It seems that carbon fiber and balsa are used a lot in the world of radio controlled airplanes. TeamSeacats had an interesting post at RC Universe on the topic. Also it seems that balsa sandwiched between two layers of carbon fiber has been used in the floor construction of Corvettes for a while now. The stuff I've read says that a balsa core can improve the strength of carbon fiber (perhaps by 7 times) so I've got to believe that a trekking pole with a balsa core could outperform one of pure carbon fiber. And maybe this might work for backpack frames as well.
"Hiking is just walking where it's O.K. to pee." -Demetri Martin

grumdrig

Post by grumdrig » Wed Oct 29, 2008 5:36 pm

Somewhat related, BPL just put up a review of a carbon fiber pole with a bamboo overlay. Don't know if that's just for looks. Minimally it probably at least protects the carbon fiber from abrasion.

dlarson
Site Admin

Post by dlarson » Wed Oct 29, 2008 6:20 pm

Yeah, I saw that too.
From what I gather, it's more for appearance but it did fair quite well in their flex test. Maybe the bamboo plays a small part in those results.
"Hiking is just walking where it's O.K. to pee." -Demetri Martin

Tony

Post by Tony » Thu Oct 30, 2008 1:00 am

I have just ran some tests on the latest bridge design and we had failure at over 26kg (The scales calibrated max) x 5 = 130kg which is 1275 N, this would be a record I hope this happens in the real test on Thursday.
The new record for the Balsa bridge competition is now 1455 Newtons = 148.3 kg = 327lb, (old record 1200N) the bridge weighed in at 12.5 g, it won by heaps, my daughter said it was awesome.

DaddyMnM

Post by DaddyMnM » Thu Oct 30, 2008 1:40 am

Congratulations Tony. There are few things more rewarding that winning a design competition. Well done!

zelph

Post by zelph » Thu Oct 30, 2008 10:15 am

Hi Tony, what does your daughter think was the determining factor for the increase of strength? or combination of things?

I bet it was fun putting the bridges under test and watching them crumble under the heavy hand of metal machine vs wood :mrgreen:

Good way to test pot supports :o