alcohol stove questions

Post your new stove ideas here! All stoves welcome.
seudo_411

Re: alcohol stove questions

Post by seudo_411 » Tue Oct 21, 2008 11:40 am

This might not work for you but i've used diamond tipped glass cutters to score lines on to metal, so it might just work... As a bonus these cutters often have the same general shape as a pencil, so you could use it with a compass.
Save space, Live on the edge...

Life might be a Bitch, but at least she knows who her Daddy is...

irrationalsolutions

Post by irrationalsolutions » Tue Oct 21, 2008 11:47 am

i went by a friends house this morning and he is getting ready foe a garage sale this weekend and i had advanced buying rights. i picked up one of those old aluminum mess kit like they sold at walmart when i was a kid. its a really cheap thing not worth using i think. you know the one it has two bowl/ plates two blue plastic cups and two pots that strap together with a small green plastic belt. i bought it for the pot holder he sold me the whole thing for $1 i thought it was a good price for the pot grabber. but since i cant find my stuff right now i can use the pot for my test too. :D

i'll try some of those ideas but i have a hard time with my drill on low. the one i pulled out is a 19.2 volt porter cable and it really likes to use all its power. (i got it last year when i was working at lowes it was on sale for $50.)
“Do or do not... there is NO try.” Yoda

Luke "Whats in (out) there?" Yoda "Only what you take with you."

Luke "I can’t believe it." Yoda "That is why you Fail.”

zelph

Post by zelph » Tue Oct 21, 2008 11:56 am

irrationalsolutions wrote:i went by a friends house this morning and he is getting ready foe a garage sale this weekend and i had advanced buying rights. i picked up one of those old aluminum mess kit like they sold at walmart when i was a kid. its a really cheap thing not worth using i think. you know the one it has two bowl/ plates two blue plastic cups and two pots that strap together with a small green plastic belt. i bought it for the pot holder he sold me the whole thing for $1 i thought it was a good price for the pot grabber. but since i cant find my stuff right now i can use the pot for my test too. :D

i'll try some of those ideas but i have a hard time with my drill on low. the one i pulled out is a 19.2 volt porter cable and it really likes to use all its power. (i got it last year when i was working at lowes it was on sale for $50.)
Good Deals, I like em!!!! You fared well. :D

Get the hole saw, run it backwards (slowly) It won't grab like the paddle bit
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

irrationalsolutions

Post by irrationalsolutions » Thu Oct 23, 2008 1:45 pm

i have finished the construction on the new model i think. i just have to jb weld it today and let it cure. i looked everywhere but couldn't find any good way to seal the fill hole so for the prototype i am jb welding a nut to the hole and am going to use a screw. i was looking for the things that looked like threaded rivits but i couldnt even find them in this area. do you guys have any other ideas? my stove needs your help. i should test it i a few days. if i can find where i sat the camera down i will give some pics of the new design. i never lost my 35mm camera but these new ones are hard to keep up with they are so small.

zelph

Post by zelph » Thu Oct 23, 2008 3:04 pm

First off this is a photo of the "paddle" bit I was refering to. It has cutting tips on each end of the bit that score a line on the outer edge of the material being drilled. The tips help keep the bit from "wandering" or also =know as being "radical" :lol:

A self tapping machine screw might be tried for the fill port.

Just had a thought, there are wall anchors that have a n expanding feature to them that once driven into the wall the machine screew supplied with the anchor is turned and the anchor expands inside the wall to secure it. Maybe they make them small enough to work in stoves. Let's check on them next time were out and about. ;)
don't feel bad, I misplaced my camera recently. :lol: :lol: I found it in the greenhouse.

It's best to get rid of the other parts of the mess kit now. Once you get a garage, you'll want to put the mess kit pieces in the garage and then the Process Begins, you'll never be able to find it again :lol:

oops56

Post by oops56 » Thu Oct 23, 2008 3:27 pm

zelph wrote:First off this is a photo of the "paddle" bit I was refering to. It has cutting tips on each end of the bit that score a line on the outer edge of the material being drilled. The tips help keep the bit from "wandering" or also =know as being "radical" :lol:

A self tapping machine screw might be tried for the fill port.

Just had a thought, there are wall anchors that have a n expanding feature to them that once driven into the wall the machine screew supplied with the anchor is turned and the anchor expands inside the wall to secure it. Maybe they make them small enough to work in stoves. Let's check on them next time were out and about. ;)
don't feel bad, I misplaced my camera recently. :lol: :lol: I found it in the greenhouse.

It's best to get rid of the other parts of the mess kit now. Once you get a garage, you'll want to put the mess kit pieces in the garage and then the Process Begins, you'll never be able to find it again :lol:
Take a piece of plywood 1/4 in thick or smaller little big then tho o. d. of the bit drill into it stop just before the big part bites then just use the point for your holes the wood will stop it going to far.
Man play with fire man get burnt

zelph

Post by zelph » Thu Oct 23, 2008 3:30 pm

Good point oops and that is the correct way to doit.

irrationalsolutions

Post by irrationalsolutions » Wed Nov 05, 2008 5:25 pm

i was bored so i was looking at the stoves on ebay and i ran across a alcohol stove that says that it is fully adjustable and it has what looks like a knob on the end of a wire sticking out of the stove. do any of you have any idea how this works? i looked at the pics and couldn't figure it out.

http://cgi.ebay.com/FULLY-ADJUSTABLE-al ... 240%3A1318

dlarson
Site Admin

Post by dlarson » Wed Nov 05, 2008 6:11 pm

First, a few links.
The company that makes the stove: http://www.packafeather.com/stove.html
A thread answering your question on backpackinglight.com: Featherfire Stove

Zelph could probably answer this better since he owns one (or at least used to) but the flame control looks pretty simple.

There are probably some holes in the side of the stove that are covered by the band that wraps around its middle. Loosening the knob releases tension on the band and allows air inside for a larger flame. Tightening the knob applies tension to the band and plugs the hole for a smaller flame. The XL stove on the company's website has the same sort of band around it but there is a rivet holding the band to the can. On the Featherfire the band is supported between the posts that attach to the legs. Either way, this keeps the band from sliding down to the base of the stove when it's loosened.

I've built a couple of the Mini Zen Chimney/Sideburner stoves at Zenstoves.net.
If you scroll down the page below the Mini Zen there is a picture of another side burner with a band around its middle and clamped shut with a paper binder. I fashioned one of those for my Mini Zen and it does help regulate the flame but can't really be changed during use. I imagine the Featherfire works on the same principle. The advantage is the nifty wire and knob so it can be adjusted during use.
"Hiking is just walking where it's O.K. to pee." -Demetri Martin

zelph

Post by zelph » Wed Nov 05, 2008 6:18 pm

Hi Dlarson, It was a quote that I had posted on bpl. Dirtygaiters at Whiteblaze was the one I was quoting.

I agree with you about how the closure might be working. Somewhere here onbplite is a thread on how to make such a closure for simmering. I'll see if I can find it.

Edit:

Here is a link to the remote simmer