alcohol stove questions

Post your new stove ideas here! All stoves welcome.
zelph

Re: alcohol stove questions

Post by zelph » Fri Nov 21, 2008 10:47 am

irrationalsolutions wrote:i can't wait to get your review of the stove. i was thinking if it works well i want to make one like it and take that on my thru hike. having something that can adjust would allow me to not get burned out with my menu.
I received a 7 page instruction sheet via email yesterday from the maker. They want me to be sure I get a preview of the stove and how it works. My initial impression is that it's a high tech machine and needs to be handled with care. :D Meaning things can go wrong if directions are not followed. It's indicated that the stove is made of pop cans and as such the material is thin etc.

Instructions are important in all stoves. The instructions for making a supercat stove warns of the alcohol accumilation on the bottom of your pot. When the pot is picked up there will be flaming alcohol attached to it. Be ready for the small flare up. The stove also has a tendency to stick to the bottom of the pot. Reading directions can help avoid problems. All that info is given in the authors direction on how to build it.

I would never fork out 34.00 dollars for a pop can stove.

Once I get the stove and do some initial test I will post them and also the instructions given by the maker.

It would be fun to test all the major stoves on the market.

Other stoves that can simmer are:

1. Trangia

2. SS StarLyte UltraLyte

There are more, everyone can add the ones I forgot ;)

Removing the lid from your pot and opening up the windscreen will assist in simmering. Most of the time we all hear how important it is to use a windscreen to acheive a boil. Important info there. remove the windscreen, no boil. If it's not boiling it's simmering. All agree?
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

oops56

Post by oops56 » Fri Nov 21, 2008 11:02 am

There is one thing about simmering ever ones does it with no food in it. I think with food in pot may simmer better.
Man play with fire man get burnt

irrationalsolutions

Post by irrationalsolutions » Sat Nov 22, 2008 12:11 am

thats good food for thought. i'll have to simmer on that for a while. :lol: all jokes aside, i do like the idea behind the featherfire and i really want to know how it works i just cant convience the wife to let me get one right now (i tried). since i just got the canister stove.
“Do or do not... there is NO try.” Yoda

Luke "Whats in (out) there?" Yoda "Only what you take with you."

Luke "I can’t believe it." Yoda "That is why you Fail.”

oops56

Post by oops56 » Sat Nov 22, 2008 1:12 am

oops56 wrote:There is one thing about simmering ever ones does it with no food in it. I think with food in pot may simmer better.
Oh one more thing what temp. is a simmer
Man play with fire man get burnt

DaddyMnM

Post by DaddyMnM » Sat Nov 22, 2008 3:57 pm

Oh one more thing what temp. is a simmer
Excerpt from:

http://blogwelldone.wordpress.com/2007/ ... to-simmer/
In other words, food is placed in a (flavorful) liquid and cooked at a temperature anywhere between 175 to 200 degrees, depending on which cookbook you read. Ideally, one should shoot for 180 degrees because it is hot enough to cook the food, but cooks the food slower than a 200 degree liquid. No matter what temperature you choose, it must be less than a full boil (212 degrees) or else you are no longer simmering, you are boiling
Looks like 180 degrees F (About 82 degrees C) would be a good target for simmer.

zelph

Post by zelph » Sat Nov 22, 2008 7:53 pm

Simmer at 190 degrees :D

irrationalsolutions

Post by irrationalsolutions » Mon Nov 24, 2008 1:33 pm

so zelph when does the new stove get to you?

zelph

Post by zelph » Mon Nov 24, 2008 1:40 pm

irrationalsolutions wrote:so zelph when does the new stove get to you?
Probably in todays mail, we'll have to wait and see. In the mean time read the instructions posted in the Stove Testing Forum

irrationalsolutions

Post by irrationalsolutions » Fri Dec 05, 2008 1:57 am

the way i understand it the canister stoves use a blend of liquid gas fuels. the question i have now is... does the blend burn better than just lp? is one more efficient? or is it a weight and size thing?

DarenN

Post by DarenN » Fri Dec 05, 2008 9:14 am

irrationalsolutions wrote:the way i understand it the canister stoves use a blend of liquid gas fuels. the question i have now is... does the blend burn better than just lp? is one more efficient? or is it a weight and size thing?
IRA;
here's your homework for the weekend: :mrgreen:

http://www.bushwalking.org.au/FAQ/FAQ_Stoves.htm

"I'd rather be happy than right." Slartibartfast