Donut Stove

Post your new stove ideas here! All stoves welcome.
dlarson
Site Admin

Donut Stove

Post by dlarson » Tue Oct 28, 2008 10:46 pm

Hey folks, I've finally completed one of my stove ideas. The idea first came to me this summer when I tried to build a White Box style stove. I call this design the Donut Stove because of it's hole-in-the-middle construction. Here's a set of photos of the Donut Stove.

After reading an article on Backpacking Light about the high carbon monoxide levels from alcohol stoves I started to wonder if there was a way to allow more airflow to the stove. The article mentioned that maybe more air in the center and not just from the outside edges might help.

I haven't performed any burn tests yet so I'll have to work on those. But I did light it up outside (without a windscreen) just to make sure it was going to work.
"Hiking is just walking where it's O.K. to pee." -Demetri Martin

zelph

Re: Donut Stove

Post by zelph » Wed Oct 29, 2008 10:55 am

Excellent design and great set of instruction on the build. I watched the instructions several times in the slide show version. Funny thing happened each time I watched I burst into laughter when the photo of your finger appeared. I was'nt laughing at you, I was laughing at myself. It made me think of the tube of Superglue that got stuck to my forefinger. I can't believe I did that. It took quite awhile for me to get it off using acetone as the solvent.

I can tell that your stove is going to work well and look cool when it's burning. It may burn a little hot because of the large area exposted. We are eager to see how it works. Thanks for the Donut Stove and now we need you to follow up with the Hot Chocolate prepared on it. ;)
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

samh

Post by samh » Wed Oct 29, 2008 4:57 pm

Stove of the month!

I swear, will you guys ever stop running out of new ideas for stoves?

grumdrig

Post by grumdrig » Wed Oct 29, 2008 5:31 pm

Cool! I'll have to try to use your ideas to my own ends, if I can find the bottle, at least.

When I was looking for stoves that were fed air through the center I couldn't find any before I built one myself. (This one: viewtopic.php?f=43&t=1194) Now I seem to see them all over the place.

dlarson
Site Admin

Post by dlarson » Thu Oct 30, 2008 1:53 am

Zelph, you're right, it does burn hot. During the first burn the screen was glowing.
I have some new thoughts about how to reduce the surface area that I'll try out after I run some burn tests on this one.

Sam, it's a little late for the stove of the month contest and I don't have all the kinks worked out yet.

Grumdrig, that's a nice stove you've built. It looks like you posted that a week ago? How'd I miss it? I'm interested to see what changes you may make in the future.

zelph

Post by zelph » Thu Oct 30, 2008 10:21 am

dlarson wrote:Zelph, you're right, it does burn hot. During the first burn the screen was glowing.
I have some new thoughts about how to reduce the surface area that I'll try out after I run some burn tests on this one.

Sam, it's a little late for the stove of the month contest and I don't have all the kinks worked out yet.

Grumdrig, that's a nice stove you've built. It looks like you posted that a week ago? How'd I miss it? I'm interested to see what changes you may make in the future.
The center circumfrance of surface being on fire adds to the heat of the stove.
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

grumdrig

Post by grumdrig » Thu Oct 30, 2008 6:28 pm

dlarson wrote:Grumdrig, that's a nice stove you've built. It looks like you posted that a week ago? How'd I miss it? I'm interested to see what changes you may make in the future.
Thanks! I originally posted it with only a pic of the kettle I made the stove for, which just looks like a lump of Reflectix, with a link to more pics, so it might not have caught your eye.

Is the diameter of the coffee can the same as a 12oz soda can?

dlarson
Site Admin

Post by dlarson » Thu Oct 30, 2008 8:59 pm

grumdrig wrote:Is the diameter of the coffee can the same as a 12oz soda can?
Yes, that's correct. It's basically a 12oz soda can but the top tapers in. I've notice that the aluminum walls on these cans is thicker than most soda cans. I've also noticed that Old Milwaukee beer cans (or was it Old Style?) have thinner walls than a Coke can.

Ridgerunner

Post by Ridgerunner » Thu Oct 30, 2008 11:12 pm

Nice job Dlarson. I used the same can months ago to make a WBS also. Mine was also a failure. Where did we go wrong?
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

dlarson
Site Admin

Post by dlarson » Fri Oct 31, 2008 12:11 am

Ridgerunner wrote:Nice job Dlarson. I used the same can months ago to make a WBS also. Mine was also a failure. Where did we go wrong?
Good question! I think part of the problem with mine was the height from the jet holes to the top of the stove was to much. The flames from the jet holes were also pretty weak so maybe I had too many. I guess I could have measured my WBS instead of just winging it! :oops: