I.V. Stove

Post your new stove ideas here! All stoves welcome.
dlarson
Site Admin

I.V. Stove

Post by dlarson » Thu Oct 30, 2008 8:49 pm

Well, since I don't want to miss out on the remote stove action getting started I'm going to go ahead and post this unfinished project.

In June I started to think that one of the limitations of alcohol stoves was their fuel capacity. Making the stove larger only works to a certain point so was there another solution? If the fuel supply is separated from the burner a larger supply of fuel could provide very long burn times. In addition, the burner could be made smaller and this might improve fuel efficiency. The total pack weight could be reduced if the burner was smaller and the fuel supply container was also the container the fuel is carried in. Both Zelph and Tinny have recently posted ideas of remote alcohol stoves so here's mine.

The fuel bag is suspended like and I.V. bag from a trekking poll, branch, or even just set down on something higher than the burner. A fuel control valve regulates a constant flow of fuel to the burner and, like other stoves, cracking it open would increase the flame size. Initially, I had planned on a jet type burner but this proved to be to difficult. I am now planning on a design that uses fiberglass stuffing... much like Zelph's super awesome StarLyte stove.

The burner in this photo set is the old jet type I was experimenting with but I expect to have a completed stove soon. Hopefully by tomorrow.
Here's the flickr set: I.V. Stove gallery
"Hiking is just walking where it's O.K. to pee." -Demetri Martin

irrationalsolutions

Re: I.V. Stove

Post by irrationalsolutions » Thu Oct 30, 2008 10:38 pm

if the bag shown is the bag you are going to be using how are you going to keep it from getting damaged while hiking? are you planing on putting it inside you pot? i think its a great idea with a lot of pormise and am looking forward to the finished product. i liked tinny's stove but it looks like it might be hard to build for everyone. yours looks like it could be the answer for all the diy'er out there. keep up the good work.

just for the sake of knowing what were the problems you ran into with the jet idea, was it just the pressurizing problem?
“Do or do not... there is NO try.” Yoda

Luke "Whats in (out) there?" Yoda "Only what you take with you."

Luke "I can’t believe it." Yoda "That is why you Fail.”

dlarson
Site Admin

Post by dlarson » Fri Oct 31, 2008 12:39 am

irrationalsolutions wrote:how are you going to keep it from getting damaged while hiking?
just for the sake of knowing what were the problems you ran into with the jet idea, was it just the pressurizing problem?

Well, the bags are actually quite thick and stable. I don't see a lot of difference in durability between the bag shown and a Platypus bladder but I could be wrong. Skidsteer just posted about the disposable flask and perhaps that would be another bagging option. As for storage, I usually carry my alcohol in the mesh pocket on the back of my pack. But inside my pot is another option if my burner isn't too big. Personally, I'm not too worried about the bag's durability.

The problems I ran into with the jet idea were numerous.

1. I constructed the burner from two 8oz Redbull type cans to an extreme thinness. I cut a quarter sized hole in one of the concave bottoms in order to allow the two halves to mate together. I figured it would take less heat to prime it and evaporate the alcohol into gas that way. But the hole had to be sealed so the gas could only escape through the jets... Here comes the RTV silicone.

2. I tried to drill a hole in the side and mount a threaded aluminum rivet so the fuel pipe could just be threaded into the side of the stove. This was a major disaster because the stove was too thin and didn't allow enough space for the rivet... More RTV silicone (and the aluminum was pretty bent up too).

3. A jet stove requires a priming pan to start but trying to drip some fuel on a pan from the bag, then attaching the fuel line to the stove, then getting it started wasn't going to work well. An extra bottle for priming fuel was out of the question because of the extra weight.
So I thought that perhaps a small hole on top of the stove could allow some fuel to flow out onto the top of it for priming. Just open the fuel valve, tip the stove slightly to get some fuel on top, set it back down and light it up. But that presented a new problem of how to seal the hole so it didn't act like an over sized jet. Also it's not a very good way to prime it because most of the heat just travels up into nothing.
I then considered a pan underneath it and some sort of valve where the fuel pipe enters the stove. The valve would have to be easily pressed open to allow a little fuel to spill into the priming tray and then easily closed again. At that point I decided that it was just too complicated.

And that is why I have abandoned the jet type design. Also, a wick/fiberglass type design should be more efficient.

irrationalsolutions

Post by irrationalsolutions » Fri Oct 31, 2008 1:54 am

thanks for the info. the more i look at the parts in the pic the more i like the idea. i think you have it.

zelph

Post by zelph » Fri Oct 31, 2008 10:12 am

I've seen repair valves available for blow up items such as beach ball and stuff. You squeeze the valve to let the air out. When filling the air goes in but can't come out until the valve is squeezed. That valve might be applicable in this type of situation. Just a thought.

Interesting concept for a remote stove for sure. Nice!!!!! I like it. :D
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

grumdrig

Post by grumdrig » Sun Nov 02, 2008 1:22 am

Cool. What was originally in the "IV" bag? Probably not strawberry flavored saline.

dlarson
Site Admin

Post by dlarson » Sun Nov 02, 2008 2:03 am

Heh! I found the "IV" bag at my local CUB Foods big chain grocery store with the ethnic foods... or maybe it was near the organic healthy type stuff.
It's a jelly beverage from Japan called Daybaby. Apparently, jelly drinks are becoming quite popular there as a substitute for breakfast and often come in pouches. I found some good photos of the product.

The package I used was strawberry but I have a lemon flavored one I haven't opened yet. I took a few sips of the drink and promptly squished the rest into the sink. The consistency was pretty disgusting but the flavor was OK. If you want a really good idea of what you're in for if you try to drink one of these, check out this You Tube video of another jelly drink.

irrationalsolutions

Post by irrationalsolutions » Sun Nov 02, 2008 3:41 am

how are you going to hang the bag?

samh

Post by samh » Sun Nov 02, 2008 12:21 pm

It's been more than a day. I demand to see the finished product of this stove! Hehe, just kidding, D. Your latest version of this is a far cry from the original prototype you built over the fourth of July (which reminds me, I should see if I have the photos I took of that). I'm stoked to see this thing in operation once you build it up with an open burner.

oops56

Post by oops56 » Sun Nov 02, 2008 1:32 pm

Its been done all ready with a pressure stove you can add to it as its burning.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?vkcbiaLAR5XU
Man play with fire man get burnt