I.V. Stove

Post your new stove ideas here! All stoves welcome.
seudo_411

Re: I.V. Stove

Post by seudo_411 » Mon Dec 29, 2008 12:14 pm

zelph wrote:
I bought some coal tablets today, packing claims that they light in 45 seconds. the second purpose is gonna be a to attach a balloon to it and use it to force air, when needed on to the coal tablets I'm gonna try to use.
You come up with some interest stuff Seudo. What in the world are coal tablets? Where did you learn about this fuel?
The coal tablets are used for smoking molasses in a water pipe referred to as a "hookah" (see the wiki link : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hookah)
They light very quickly and burn very long, I might burn these along with standard charcoal. any way i don't to hijack this thread any more than i already have, I'll get my act (stove) together and post eventually. More to follow.
Save space, Live on the edge...

Life might be a Bitch, but at least she knows who her Daddy is...

zelph

Post by zelph » Mon Dec 29, 2008 4:50 pm

seudo_411 wrote:
zelph wrote:
I bought some coal tablets today, packing claims that they light in 45 seconds. the second purpose is gonna be a to attach a balloon to it and use it to force air, when needed on to the coal tablets I'm gonna try to use.
You come up with some interest stuff Seudo. What in the world are coal tablets? Where did you learn about this fuel?
The coal tablets are used for smoking molasses in a water pipe referred to as a "hookah" (see the wiki link : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hookah)
They light very quickly and burn very long, I might burn these along with standard charcoal. any way i don't to hijack this thread any more than i already have, I'll get my act (stove) together and post eventually. More to follow.
Is the smoke from the coal tablets inhaled also? I'm beggining to gag :mrgreen:

Is the hookah a local choice of smoking pleasure, the goto pipe? :)
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

irrationalsolutions

Post by irrationalsolutions » Sat Feb 28, 2009 3:28 am

sorry i havent gotten far enough to start a new topic yet. i have started to get my i.v. type stove together. i picked up a metal aquaium valve. it has two valves but it is made of metal so i will work with it. i also have my view window. its a clear blue plastic check valve for a aquaium air pump. it had cotton type filter material in it and is sealed shut. i straightened out a staple and then bent a small hook on the end. it pulled the material right out. as long as the glue on the checked valve holds it should work fine. i was going to use it upside down so its always open. i also hope that if i do get a flash back it will create enough pressure to close the valve. anyway thats as far as i have gotten so far but its coming along.
“Do or do not... there is NO try.” Yoda

Luke "Whats in (out) there?" Yoda "Only what you take with you."

Luke "I can’t believe it." Yoda "That is why you Fail.”

Ridgerunner

Post by Ridgerunner » Sat Feb 28, 2009 10:34 am

Is the hookah a local choice of smoking pleasure, the goto pipe?
Is a hookah one of those fancy bong water pipes with a bunch of hoses they use over in the middle east so several people can use their mind altering substances to go into a state of euphoria and solve all the worlds problems? I wonder if it would be of beneficial use to stovies to transcend thoughts amongst our "clan" :o to invent the perfect stove :ugeek: :lol: :lol: :lol:
NOT
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

zelph

Post by zelph » Sat Feb 28, 2009 6:30 pm

I'm working on my IV stove for the month of March. I'm entering mine. I wanna be a member of the club also. :o

Just a reminder to all that stove entrys need to be in by the end of the 3rd week. ;)

Knifeknut

Post by Knifeknut » Sun Apr 19, 2009 9:09 am

Nice. IV's one of my favorite subjects. I have a few administration sets and bags of saline around here.

I think I might try to make an IV stove one of these days I have all the equipment. The nice part about using IV bags is that you can have the choice from 50ml up to 2 litres.

Remember that IV tubing and administration sets come in 2 sizes, micro and macro drip. Macro drip is 10 gtt per ml, and micro drip can be either 50 or 60 gtt per ml. An easy way to tell the difference is to look at the drip chamber, if it has a metal tube in it is micro drip, if not it is macro drip.

For regulator valves can't you use a roller clamp, you can get a very accurate drip rate with them, especially since a stove will not move thereby affecting the drip rate.

grumdrig

Post by grumdrig » Fri Apr 24, 2009 6:27 pm

The mention of saline reminded me of this:

http://peswiki.com/index.php/Directory: ... adio_Waves

Now there's an IV stove!

zelph

Post by zelph » Sat Apr 25, 2009 10:10 am

Knifeknut wrote:Nice. IV's one of my favorite subjects. I have a few administration sets and bags of saline around here.

I think I might try to make an IV stove one of these days I have all the equipment. The nice part about using IV bags is that you can have the choice from 50ml up to 2 litres.

Remember that IV tubing and administration sets come in 2 sizes, micro and macro drip. Macro drip is 10 gtt per ml, and micro drip can be either 50 or 60 gtt per ml. An easy way to tell the difference is to look at the drip chamber, if it has a metal tube in it is micro drip, if not it is macro drip.

For regulator valves can't you use a roller clamp, you can get a very accurate drip rate with them, especially since a stove will not move thereby affecting the drip rate.
Yes, we use the roller clamp to regulate, very accurate way to do it. The safest way so far. The drip camber on the ones I'm using is minus the steel tube.

Radio waves, I did not think they had that much energy. Micro waves yes. Lots of things are found out by accident.

I did some boiling tests in the middle of winter in my freezing garage. I used windsheid washer solvent for my water so I could use it the next day and not have it be frozen :lol: Wel I did my test with a pyrex coffee pot so I could see the flame patern from up above the pot through the water. The stove shut down and the test was concluded. I shut the garage light off and looked back to where I did my testing and saw that the water was burning. :o :o :o yeah, I could not see it burning while the light was on. Freaked me out. :shock: It was by accident!!!! The flames had come up along side the pot and ignited the alcohol vapors coming off the solvent. Whoda thunk it!!!

zelph

Post by zelph » Wed Aug 26, 2009 9:56 pm

dlarson wrote:Irrationalsolutions, here's the complete I.V. Stove.

Now for the good part!

This stove, in its current form, is a complete failure. The critical component in this setup is the fuel control valve and as you'll soon see it just isn't up to the job. I could not locate a decent valve so I tried making one. There are a few things I learned through this:
1. Don't use crappy homemade valves.
2. Don't ignore your inner voice and use the cookie sheet.
3. Secure the testing area and remove all valuables.
4. Don't use crappy homemade valves.

The last 5 photos in this set are the new ones:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/epilektric ... 516677444/

Be prepared to laugh uncontrollably at this testing video. :lol:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D43xN5vyXxU
I just wanted to bump this thread up so everyone can see this video again and read the comments posted to the video.

And to think tiny sells remote fueled stoves to little kids. The guy should have his cut off.

rossm

Post by rossm » Tue Sep 22, 2009 5:50 pm

I sometimes get frustrated with the burn time on most alcohol burners (Turms excepted) when I want to cook a couple of courses followed by a mug or 2 of tea. I'm probably too clumsy to use on of these new remote fuel supplied burner. My solution (that we are often told NOT to do) is to fill the stove while it is still lit. I carry a small hyperdermic syringe for ease of emptying fuel from a burner for carrying. I also use the syringe for lit refuelling. Because of the narrow gauge & length of the metal needle the flame cannot travel up to the syringe - similar principal to the old miners Davy Lamp I believe.

The proviso is to inject the fuel directly into the burner - not from a distance, & ensure the needle is securely fastened to the syringe you don't want it falling off at the critical moment. Mine screw on. If there's a flame on the needle on extraction just blow it out.

I'll understand if this post is deleted as it does contradict the regular wisdom. :o

One thing I don't do is immediately fill a stove that's gone out using this method. I use ethanol, which has a lower flashpoint than many of the alcohols generally burnt & I worry about a flash ignition. With the syringe it wouldn't trvel up the needle but it could certainly make you jump!
Seen it happen with someone doing a second prime of a kero pressure lantern with ethanol. They dunked the extinguished but hot priming torch in the ethanol - small bang & ignition! With normal methylated spirit - they'd 'got away' with doing that for years. The shock made them jolt burning fuel on their arm.