I.V. Stove

Post your new stove ideas here! All stoves welcome.
grumdrig

Re: I.V. Stove

Post by grumdrig » Mon Nov 03, 2008 5:10 pm

oops56 wrote:Its been done all ready with a pressure stove you can add to it as its burning.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?vkcbiaLAR5XU
Something went wront with that link - should probably be
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kcbiaLAR5XU

grumdrig

Post by grumdrig » Tue Nov 04, 2008 1:31 am

dlarson wrote:Heh! I found the "IV" bag at my local CUB Foods big chain grocery store with the ethnic foods... or maybe it was near the organic healthy type stuff.
It's a jelly beverage from Japan called Daybaby. Apparently, jelly drinks are becoming quite popular there as a substitute for breakfast and often come in pouches. I found some good photos of the product.

The package I used was strawberry but I have a lemon flavored one I haven't opened yet. I took a few sips of the drink and promptly squished the rest into the sink. The consistency was pretty disgusting but the flavor was OK. If you want a really good idea of what you're in for if you try to drink one of these, check out this You Tube video of another jelly drink.
I found some here at Uwajimaya in Seattle. Pretty nice little fuel bottle, at .35oz for a 5.3oz capacity bottle with a narrowish spout. Mine was lemon - its pretty gross, like drinking half melted jello. But something kept drawing me back to it, and so only half of it went down the drain. (I also loaded up on all different crazy shaped & sized japanese cans.)

dlarson
Site Admin

Post by dlarson » Tue Nov 04, 2008 1:50 pm

grumdrig wrote:I found some here at Uwajimaya in Seattle. Pretty nice little fuel bottle, at .35oz for a 5.3oz capacity bottle with a narrowish spout. Mine was lemon - its pretty gross, like drinking half melted jello. But something kept drawing me back to it, and so only half of it went down the drain. (I also loaded up on all different crazy shaped & sized japanese cans.)

Sweet! You know that video I posted of the guy pouring the jelly drink into a cup? Yeah, that can was pretty cool. 8-) Did you see any like that at the store? Or textured cans like the one I saw posted around here somewhere?
"Hiking is just walking where it's O.K. to pee." -Demetri Martin

dlarson
Site Admin

Post by dlarson » Sun Nov 09, 2008 12:46 am

Ok, folks. I've built a new burner based on Zelph's StarLyte. I jokingly call it my Lyte-like stove in my thoughts.
All that's left now is to attach the fuel feed pipe to the burner.

The I.V. Stove 2 Burner Assembly photo set is on Flickr.
I've also got a short video of the first burn on YouTube.

The burn was 10min 28sec with .5 US fl ozs of HEET. I used two cups of room temp water in a Heineken pot.
I don't think I achieved a rolling boil but the water was scalding hot with some air bubbles in it. I believe that if I follow Oops' suggestion of knocking a rung or two of the pot stand I'll get a rolling boil.

Here's a shot of the water after the near boil.

irrationalsolutions

Post by irrationalsolutions » Mon Nov 10, 2008 2:10 am

i must have missed something but what is that above the stove in the pic.
“Do or do not... there is NO try.” Yoda

Luke "Whats in (out) there?" Yoda "Only what you take with you."

Luke "I can’t believe it." Yoda "That is why you Fail.”

dlarson
Site Admin

Post by dlarson » Mon Nov 10, 2008 1:38 pm

If you mean the round object above the Heineken pot filled with water, that would be the new burner and the Heineken lid is below the pot.
Here's another shot of the burner.

The burner is based on Zelph's awesome StarLyte.
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=293

irrationalsolutions

Post by irrationalsolutions » Mon Nov 10, 2008 1:42 pm

ok i must have been tired and my eyes playing tricks on me. i got you now.
“Do or do not... there is NO try.” Yoda

Luke "Whats in (out) there?" Yoda "Only what you take with you."

Luke "I can’t believe it." Yoda "That is why you Fail.”

grumdrig

Post by grumdrig » Mon Nov 10, 2008 6:54 pm

dlarson wrote:
grumdrig wrote:I found some here at Uwajimaya in Seattle. Pretty nice little fuel bottle, at .35oz for a 5.3oz capacity bottle with a narrowish spout. Mine was lemon - its pretty gross, like drinking half melted jello. But something kept drawing me back to it, and so only half of it went down the drain. (I also loaded up on all different crazy shaped & sized japanese cans.)

Sweet! You know that video I posted of the guy pouring the jelly drink into a cup? Yeah, that can was pretty cool. 8-) Did you see any like that at the store? Or textured cans like the one I saw posted around here somewhere?
Yep! I even bought one. They have a number of similar cans in a variety of sizes & shapes which (like that one) have flat bottoms (kind of like how tin can bottoms are, but they're aluminum).

I think I saw some textured cans but I don't remember why they didn't intrigue me enough to buy one. Usually I get one of everything. I'll take a peek next time I'm there.

If anyone's interested I'll post a picture of some of the unusual & fascinating :ugeek: containers I found.

zelph

Post by zelph » Mon Nov 10, 2008 7:35 pm

grumdrig wrote:
dlarson wrote:

Yep! I even bought one. They have a number of similar cans in a variety of sizes & shapes which (like that one) have flat bottoms (kind of like how tin can bottoms are, but they're aluminum).

I think I saw some textured cans but I don't remember why they didn't intrigue me enough to buy one. Usually I get one of everything. I'll take a peek next time I'm there.

If anyone's interested I'll post a picture of some of the unusual & fascinating :ugeek: containers I found.
Give us break!!!!! All of are interested, we want photos, we want photos!!!!!!!!! :mrgreen:
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

dlarson
Site Admin

Post by dlarson » Mon Nov 10, 2008 10:41 pm

zelph wrote:Give us break!!!!! All of us are interested, we want photos, we want photos!!!!!!!!! :mrgreen:
I'll second that!