Page 11 of 13

Re: I.V. Stove

Posted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 5:21 pm
by seudo_411
Thanks DarreN, I know you had some issues with your valve coming apart was it the alcohol dissolving the glue, or heat.

Re: I.V. Stove

Posted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 5:29 pm
by DarenN
seudo_411 wrote:Thanks DarenN, I know you had some issues with your valve coming apart was it the alcohol dissolving the glue, or heat.
alcohol dissolved the glue. the valve is three feet from the burner so it can't be a problem with heat.

Re: I.V. Stove

Posted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 12:08 pm
by seudo_411
DarenN wrote:
seudo_411 wrote:Thanks DarenN, I know you had some issues with your valve coming apart was it the alcohol dissolving the glue, or heat.
alcohol dissolved the glue. the valve is three feet from the burner so it can't be a problem with heat.
Noted. If i solder the copper pipe to the burner cups, will the heat from the flame melt or soften the solder in any way. Because the only other options i can think of are press fit, and epoxy.

Re: I.V. Stove

Posted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 4:50 pm
by DarenN
seudo_411 wrote:Noted. If i solder the copper pipe to the burner cups, will the heat from the flame melt or soften the solder in any way. Because the only other options i can think of are press fit, and epoxy.
read this thread:

viewtopic.php?f=19&t=1254

with solderring your milage may vary. it worked on that particular burner, but that doesn't mean it will always work in any aplication. take proper precautions against a run-away fire should the stove melt to pieces.

Daren.....

Re: I.V. Stove

Posted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 11:23 am
by DarenN
further testing and has shown that the aquarium valves are NOT impervious to alcohol. with prolonged exposure the plastic of the valve becomes weak and brittle, and just falls to pieces.

Daren.........

Re: I.V. Stove

Posted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 12:18 pm
by irrationalsolutions
i was at petsmart the other day and they had metal valves.

Re: I.V. Stove

Posted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 1:25 pm
by DarenN
irrationalsolutions wrote:i was at petsmart the other day and they had metal valves.
thanks. i'll look into that. do you happen to remember the brand name?

Daren........

Re: I.V. Stove

Posted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 1:53 pm
by irrationalsolutions
not right off hand. my uncle had a stroke so i have to go back to my home town tomorrow and dont think i will make it back their before christmas so i have to go out and pick up a few presents today i'll try to go by their and look again if i have time. they also had something that looked like it would work for the veiw window dripper. i'll look at it too.

Re: I.V. Stove

Posted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 1:59 pm
by DarenN
irrationalsolutions wrote:not right off hand. my uncle had a stroke so i have to go back to my home town tomorrow and dont think i will make it back their before christmas so i have to go out and pick up a few presents today i'll try to go by their and look again if i have time. they also had something that looked like it would work for the veiw window dripper. i'll look at it too.
thanks IRA. don't put yourself out on my account.

sorry to hear about your uncle. hope he pulls through alright.

Daren.......

Re: I.V. Stove

Posted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 6:40 pm
by irrationalsolutions
the name is top fin their number is 1-800-804-2059 and it is dist by pacific coast dist. inc.

the other thing was a check valve air filter. it has what looks like cotton in it but looks like it should work.

i hope this helps. :D