I.V. Stove

Post your new stove ideas here! All stoves welcome.
grumdrig

Re: I.V. Stove

Post by grumdrig » Tue Nov 11, 2008 3:40 am

zelph wrote:Give us break!!!!! All of are interested, we want photos, we want photos!!!!!!!!! :mrgreen:
It's nice to have a community of people so interested in recycling!

From left to right, then, we have Roots Aroma Black and the Saporro Grapefruit (with and without the plastic cover). The Roots I don't know, but the grapefruit is 14.1oz. Both of those have pretty standard soda-can-style bottoms and diameters, with wide-mouth screw tops.

Then are a few with flat bottoms, starting with a favorite of mine, the Ramu Bottle, which has a 500ml capactity. Quite practical. Then something from Korea if I recall correctly - "Today's Tea (Mixed Cereal Drink)". I'm kind of scared to try this one. Seems like a breakfast of some kind... In any case it's 370ml and has an easily-removed plastic cover like the grapefruit juice. Next is the Pokka jelly drink as featured in the vid dlarson posted (275ml).

After that is the vessel that intrigued me most - a 200ml sake can which is slightly larger diameter than a V8-sized can. Also, the bottom is a bit flatter than a V8 can (see below) and it has a plastic lid that clips on tight. It seems ripe for some idea I haven't had yet.

Then we have two bags of jelly drink. To the right of those are some cans of ferrous metal, which apparently are common in Japan. They're heavy and most suitable for wood stoves, or maybe pop stands, but I bought a few just to have them. There's more shapes and sizes of these at the Uwajimaya. I guess bplite limits image width, so here's the right side of the photo:

The irresistable Boss coffee can is about the same size as a V8 can (190ml), but steel or whatever. Then comes a Saporro-shaped Cafe One can and Dr. Brown can both at 240ml (both coffee). Not pictured, I also have a similar barrel-shaped can I thought I might invent a use for one day.

Finally, here's a peek at the bottoms of some of these cans.

DaddyMnM

Post by DaddyMnM » Tue Nov 11, 2008 10:21 pm

If you try a magnet, I'll bet you'll find steel in the bottom of that Boss coffee can. The Asian cans have a variety of bottoms and those of that shape that I have tried are steel. The angles and diameters of the bottoms differ slightly too. I don't have any laying around at the moment, but the next time I go to the store I'll try to remember to take pictures and measurements.

irrationalsolutions

Post by irrationalsolutions » Wed Nov 12, 2008 2:26 am

i see a lot of toys.
“Do or do not... there is NO try.” Yoda

Luke "Whats in (out) there?" Yoda "Only what you take with you."

Luke "I can’t believe it." Yoda "That is why you Fail.”

grumdrig

Post by grumdrig » Wed Nov 12, 2008 3:37 am

DaddyMnM wrote:If you try a magnet, I'll bet you'll find steel in the bottom of that Boss coffee can. The Asian cans have a variety of bottoms and those of that shape that I have tried are steel. The angles and diameters of the bottoms differ slightly too. I don't have any laying around at the moment, but the next time I go to the store I'll try to remember to take pictures and measurements.
Yeah, the the coffee cans on the right are all magnetic - they're all fully steel, or something ferrous. (Except the tops probably.) Very sturdy too. I made a weird stove/potstand combo out of a Boss can. (I just cut out one side of the top larger half, minus the top rim, and packed some wick in the bottom.) But the paint was so thick I couldn't tolerate the initial burn. Plus it's pretty heavy.

Allen

Post by Allen » Wed Nov 12, 2008 9:00 am

Nice Bottle Collection!

Thanks for the pics!

Allen

Post by Allen » Wed Nov 12, 2008 9:08 am

dlarson wrote:Ok, folks. I've built a new burner based on Zelph's StarLyte. I jokingly call it my Lyte-like stove in my thoughts.
All that's left now is to attach the fuel feed pipe to the burner.

The I.V. Stove 2 Burner Assembly photo set is on Flickr.
I've also got a short video of the first burn on YouTube.

The burn was 10min 28sec with .5 US fl ozs of HEET. I used two cups of room temp water in a Heineken pot.
I don't think I achieved a rolling boil but the water was scalding hot with some air bubbles in it. I believe that if I follow Oops' suggestion of knocking a rung or two of the pot stand I'll get a rolling boil.

Here's a shot of the water after the near boil.
I watched Your cool video.
I thought this comment was funny:

"Hello! Nice burner! However......
The introduction of the vertical pot of the form that the water is hard to be boiled most. An introduction of beercanpot of the inside epoxy-based resin lining. These are wisdom of the human and attack to the health in common-sense terms. In humanity, it is evil in common-sense terms. Please show an official document about the security of beercanpot of the government agenceas of USA. To people of Canada / Central and South America / Africa /Oceania / Asia. "

Cheers!

zelph

Post by zelph » Wed Nov 12, 2008 11:15 am

Thanks you so much for the photos, they say so much :D

It would be nice if the fosters and Heineken had flat bottoms. ;)
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

dlarson
Site Admin

Post by dlarson » Wed Nov 12, 2008 2:29 pm

Allen, that comment didn't make any sense at all! :lol: I removed it. But then I actually thought to look at who was posting it and realized that they are probably using an online tool to translate from Japanese to English. I've since posted an apology.

Zelph, you're welcome and I agree, a flat bottomed pot would be nice.
"Hiking is just walking where it's O.K. to pee." -Demetri Martin

Allen

Post by Allen » Wed Nov 12, 2008 6:01 pm

dlarson wrote:Allen, that comment didn't make any sense at all! :lol: I removed it. But then I actually thought to look at who was posting it and realized that they are probably using an online tool to translate from Japanese to English. I've since posted an apology.

Zelph, you're welcome and I agree, a flat bottomed pot would be nice.
I figured it was a translation issue, but still cute, in a "All Of Your Base Belongs to Us" kind of way.

Cheers!

irrationalsolutions

Post by irrationalsolutions » Fri Nov 14, 2008 5:03 am

have you ben able to finish the stove yet with the remote fueling? i want to see it. :D
“Do or do not... there is NO try.” Yoda

Luke "Whats in (out) there?" Yoda "Only what you take with you."

Luke "I can’t believe it." Yoda "That is why you Fail.”