I.V. Stove

Post your new stove ideas here! All stoves welcome.
grumdrig

Re: I.V. Stove

Post by grumdrig » Sun Nov 16, 2008 6:30 pm

grumdrig wrote:...Then something from Korea if I recall correctly - "Today's Tea (Mixed Cereal Drink)". I'm kind of scared to try this one. Seems like a breakfast of some kind... In any case it's 370ml and has an easily-removed plastic cover like the grapefruit juice.
It turned out that this can looked more sinister than I'd realized. One of the ingredients was "CASSLAE SEMEN" - yuck.

However it turns out that that referred to a seed (which should probably read "CASSIAE"), and the drink itself was just like brown rice green tea. All the "cereal" talk was just stuff that was infused into the tea. Whew!

dlarson
Site Admin

Post by dlarson » Mon Nov 17, 2008 10:19 pm

grumdrig wrote:
grumdrig wrote:...Then something from Korea if I recall correctly - "Today's Tea (Mixed Cereal Drink)". I'm kind of scared to try this one. Seems like a breakfast of some kind... In any case it's 370ml and has an easily-removed plastic cover like the grapefruit juice.
It turned out that this can looked more sinister than I'd realized. One of the ingredients was "CASSLAE SEMEN" - yuck.

However it turns out that that referred to a seed (which should probably read "CASSIAE"), and the drink itself was just like brown rice green tea. All the "cereal" talk was just stuff that was infused into the tea. Whew!
I wouldn't be so sure about that. :lol: Have you seen this Japanese drink called Placenta 10000? :shock:
irrationalsolutions wrote:have you ben able to finish the stove yet with the remote fueling? i want to see it. :D
It's pretty much done. I'm just waiting to get some spectra line for the fuel bag. My brother and I are planning on going to the store on Wednesday.
"Hiking is just walking where it's O.K. to pee." -Demetri Martin

irrationalsolutions

Post by irrationalsolutions » Mon Nov 17, 2008 10:22 pm

cool had hoped it would be done soon.
“Do or do not... there is NO try.” Yoda

Luke "Whats in (out) there?" Yoda "Only what you take with you."

Luke "I can’t believe it." Yoda "That is why you Fail.”

grumdrig

Post by grumdrig » Tue Nov 18, 2008 3:44 am

dlarson wrote:I wouldn't be so sure about that. :lol: Have you seen this Japanese drink called Placenta 10000? :shock:
At first I thought "that sounds even worse than Pokari Sweat" (which is, of course, not made out of sweat). Then I realized that stuff is actual placenta, so not only does it sound gross, is most certainly is.

zelph

Post by zelph » Tue Nov 18, 2008 11:16 am

grumdrig wrote:
dlarson wrote:I wouldn't be so sure about that. :lol: Have you seen this Japanese drink called Placenta 10000? :shock:
At first I thought "that sounds even worse than Pokari Sweat" (which is, of course, not made out of sweat). Then I realized that stuff is actual placenta, so not only does it sound gross, is most certainly is.
Put it over your "eggs" it'll hide the taste and amplify your thoughts :lol:
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

dlarson
Site Admin

Post by dlarson » Wed Nov 19, 2008 7:47 pm

Irrationalsolutions, here's the complete I.V. Stove.

Now for the good part!

This stove, in its current form, is a complete failure. The critical component in this setup is the fuel control valve and as you'll soon see it just isn't up to the job. I could not locate a decent valve so I tried making one. There are a few things I learned through this:
1. Don't use crappy homemade valves.
2. Don't ignore your inner voice and use the cookie sheet.
3. Secure the testing area and remove all valuables.
4. Don't use crappy homemade valves.

The last 5 photos in this set are the new ones:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/epilektric ... 516677444/

Be prepared to laugh uncontrollably at this testing video. :lol:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D43xN5vyXxU
"Hiking is just walking where it's O.K. to pee." -Demetri Martin

DarenN

Post by DarenN » Wed Nov 19, 2008 8:12 pm

there is no failure as long as you learned something.

you learned not to trust your valve. but the questions remain; why not?; how could you make it not be a problem?; where was the cookie sheet anyway? :D

you do know of course that alcohol fires can be put out with water? just knock over the pot and the fire goes out.

Daren.........
"I'd rather be happy than right." Slartibartfast

Ridgerunner

Post by Ridgerunner » Wed Nov 19, 2008 8:31 pm

Wow, that WAS a good one. :) We've all done that one time of another. ;) I agree with the Deacon,...where was the cookie sheet? :lol: So the valve was a failure this time. Time to look for a new valve. Have you checked into the hobby shop to see what is availabe for gasoline model airplanes, cars, boats, etc ? I can remember my dad building large model airplanes thart used a 0.35 engine and had a detached fuel tank. Might be worth looking into. :)
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

Ridgerunner

Post by Ridgerunner » Wed Nov 19, 2008 8:47 pm

The Mr. Brown tin looks like it would make a great cook pot. It is wider and has the rigid rings. Did you say that it was a ferrous metal can ?
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

DaddyMnM

Post by DaddyMnM » Wed Nov 19, 2008 11:54 pm

Wow! That was a bit too exciting. As things could have gone, you made out OK. Maybe testing with water first would be a good idea to check flow rate and overflow prevention. Maybe drop the bag below the stove if it gets to flowing too strong next time. I seem to remember a plastic clamp for controlling IV flow including full off but don't know where to get them. Know any nurses?

Thanks for sharing :lol: