Tea Lite Candle Holder

Post your new stove ideas here! All stoves welcome.
zelph

Tea Lite Candle Holder

Postby zelph » Mon Sep 17, 2007 5:13 pm

I used a baby bottle and a juice can to make this candle holder.

Baby bottles are made of polycarbonate plastic also known as Nalgene and ?

Can fits perfect inside of bottle. Raise the can to put candle in and to light candle. Two candles can be stored inside, when one is consumed, remove old tin and light next candle.

So far, after 45 min. of burning, bottle is easily held onto, can is too hot to touch.

Pull tab is left attached to accomidate a chain or stainless steel fishing leader of your choice.

Initial test is favorable.

Image can is lowered and redy for use.

Image flame pattern

Image top is cutout and tab is retained

Image raised for candle insertion and lighting

UPDATED UPDATED UPDATED

Hey!!! all baby bottles are not the same diameter. I tried using a no name bottle and the juice can won't fit. The small bottle I used the first time was a small Gerber brand. For what it was worth.

Hey!!! the candles I'm using are'nt worth a toot. The tea candle I used yesterday petered out after 35 min of burning. The wick went limp and keeled over and almost drowned in its own melted wax. I bought a taller candle today at ace Hardware thinking larger candle, longer burn. Fits in the juice can, very good!!! I light the candle and it turns out to be wimpy, wimpy, wimpy. The wick seems to burn up and only a tiny portion is left to give of light. Humbug!!

I need help understanding the quality of candles what to look for in the stores that would indicate what the quality of the candle is.HELP!!!

Image wimpy

Image wimpy

An Update:::::

I found a post on Whitblaze.net that gives a little insight about tea candles. Here is what was said in part: Second, not all tea light candles are the same. I sometimes use them around the house and have bought different brands. Some brands last about 4 hours while others last only about 2 hours. The quicker burning ones have a much larger flame and put off a lot more heat. The point of that is that if your plastic holder works okay with a cooler '4 hour candle' that doesn't mean that it won't melt or even burn with a hotter '2 hour candle'. Be careful with that.

Youngblood
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

zelph

Re: Tea Lite Candle Holder

Postby zelph » Thu Sep 20, 2007 12:00 pm

Here is an update of information that may be helpful when purchasing candles. An Update:::::

I found a post on Whitblaze.net that gives a little insight about tea candles. Here is what was said in part:
Second, not all tea light candles are the same. I sometimes use them around the house and have bought different brands. Some brands last about 4 hours while others last only about 2 hours. The quicker burning ones have a much larger flame and put off a lot more heat. The point of that is that if your plastic holder works okay with a cooler '4 hour candle' that doesn't mean that it won't melt or even burn with a hotter '2 hour candle'. Be careful with that.

Youngblood

zelph

Postby zelph » Sat Sep 29, 2007 6:56 pm

Another update. I found the Gizmo in my garage as I was cleaning.

Here is the photos of it and some infor on size.

Image The red container is 2 in. dia. X 2.25 in. tall Aluminum top is 1 in. tall and has 10 holes 7/16 dia. Candle is 3/3 in. tall X 2 in. dia.

The candle burner is made in Lithuania by trouble causing lugans. ;) I'm Lithuanian, let's see if there are any Lithuanians out there.

LostInSpace

Postby LostInSpace » Wed Oct 03, 2007 11:21 pm

Does the burning of candles produce carbon monoxide? This might affect you decision to use a candle in a tent.

Small flame produces small amount of carbon monoxide but not enough to be a health hazard in your ventilated tent.

oops56

Postby oops56 » Wed Oct 03, 2007 11:33 pm

I got a tea lite and i let burn it all night in my tent i am still here. i think most tents breath a little or we all be dead just breathing
Man play with fire man get burnt

BackpackerGuy

Postby BackpackerGuy » Thu Jan 03, 2008 11:01 pm

Zelph,
Your comments said you keep the pull tab intact to accomodate hanging, correct?
Maybe I'm not getting this, but if the hanging wire is attached to the top of the can,
which is inside the plastic bottle,
wont the can slide right out of the bottle when you hang it?

How tightly does the can fit inside the bottle?

Thanks,,

BackpackerGuy

zelph

Postby zelph » Thu Jan 03, 2008 11:13 pm

BackpackerGuy wrote:Zelph,
Your comments said you keep the pull tab intact to accomodate hanging, correct?
Maybe I'm not getting this, but if the hanging wire is attached to the top of the can,
which is inside the plastic bottle,
wont the can slide right out of the bottle when you hang it?

How tightly does the can fit inside the bottle?
Thanks,,
BackpackerGuy

The fit is perfect, not too tight, not too loose. If you decide to make one, be on the safe side, put a pin through both the can and bottle to prevent the bottle from falling off.

BackpackerGuy

Postby BackpackerGuy » Sat Jan 05, 2008 12:01 am

Great idea,,, thanks.

BackpackerGuy

Return to “Homemade Stove Ideas”