Who Needs A Stove?

Post your new stove ideas here! All stoves welcome.
zelph

Who Needs A Stove?

Postby zelph » Tue Sep 18, 2007 11:04 am

Who needs a stove when you can get self heating containers.

Had an opportunity to see how these self heating containers work.

This is a work-in-process project. Need to find a local supplier of the heating agent.

I'll be cutting up another bottle to remove water and heating agent. I'll take photos as the project progresses so you can see how it's made.

I'll keep you updated as info arrives. Enjoy the photos and let us know if you have started your own experimenting.

Image heating agent that is mixed with water to start reaction

Image found a water tight lid that fits.

Image shows ribbing formations that increase surface area to improve heating efficiency.

Image the center piece came out of the inside of the bottle. It contained the heating agent and water.

Image The bottle holds 9.5 fluid ounces/281ml of fluid of drinkable product. That's just a little over 1 cup of product.
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

zelph

Re: Who Needs A Stove?

Postby zelph » Fri Sep 21, 2007 10:40 am

Update update update

Start at the bottom photo and work your way up (photos loaded bassackwards :o ) Use your green back button in upper left corner to return here after viewing enlarged photos. took me awhile to remember to do that :oops:

Image The next step is to insert these temperature probes into the two chambers to record the temperature rise. I'll be able to document max and min. temperature during the test. I will open the top of the container, insert probe, seal with plastic lid, turn container upside down and insert probe into center chamber, return granules and then add the green water and then cover the bottom to retaine as much heat as possible.

Image Inside chamber where granules are stored. Ribbed walls to maximise surface exposed to chocolate drink that is still contained in the outer chamber. This container is still usable to heat the contents.

Image Weighing pan fill with granules. I used a triple beam scale to measure weight of water and granules.

Image Shows volume.

Image Quick lime granuals. Aluminum foil shows ring indention made by the "Button" that extends right down onto the foil. When the button is pushed down it pushes through the foil alowing the water to enter into the quick lime granules. The process begins. The exothermic reaction starts.

Image Foil removed, quick lime exposed.

Image Cutting of the foil begins.

Image Water removed, aluminum foil membrane that separates water from quick lime that is underneath.

Image Button sits in a resevoir of green colored water.

Image This is the "Button" that you push down on to that starts the heating process.

Image I used an exacto knife to cut the thin plastic.

Image These photos were taken at the time I cut apart the bottom of a new container of hot chocolate. The part that holds the materials that mix together to bring about the exothermic reaction. You are seeing exactly what I saw during the opening of the container. "You Are There"

zelph

Postby zelph » Wed Jan 09, 2008 3:34 pm

Update::
I received 5 pounds of quicklime in the mail today. found some in small quantities online.

We'll see if I can get back into this idea of heating water without a stove. :geek:

zelph

Postby zelph » Wed Jan 09, 2008 7:07 pm

BahHumbug, they sent me powder instead of granuals :roll:

The price we pay for science :D

Return to “Homemade Stove Ideas”