Iditerod Stove - Win free Stove

Post your new stove ideas here! All stoves welcome.
Mister Krabs

Re: Iditerod Stove - Win free Stove

Post by Mister Krabs » Tue Jan 27, 2009 11:29 am

The cooker
from cabelas.iditarod.com
The cooker is a mandatory gear item, and definitely worth packing. Mushers design their own cookers but generally construction is simple and similar. The cookers are essentially three-gallon containers of welded aluminum or just a store bought aluminum cooking pot which is placed inside a slightly bigger welded box or pot. At the bottom of the larger vessel, the musher places a homemade wick of fiberglass insulation or other absorbent material. The larger vessel is vented so that air can fan the fire. To this, the musher pours several pints of alcohol fuel and then torches off the cooker. At night, the soft blue alcohol flame rises impressively around the stove.

Mushers prefer alcohol fuel because it burns hot and clean, and most importantly, does not explode like gasoline or white gas. Unlike diesel or gas, alcohol also has the added feature of not tainting the taste of the food. The well-designed cooker can melt about three gallons of water to a boil from snow, in about 20 to 30 minutes. I took one of these cookers along on a mountain climbing expedition and the climbers were very impressed with this simple way to melt large volumes of water.

As a practical matter, mushers usually design the cooker so it conveniently nests together and fits well in the sled bag. The cooker is used at every opportunity to provide the dogs with a wet and warm ration -a sure way to maintain the team.

This pic shows the cooker being lit, the inside looks like a roaster with fiberglass batting in it and a couple of handles/pot rack.

zelph

Post by zelph » Tue Jan 27, 2009 1:02 pm

Mister Krabs wrote:The cooker
The cooker is a mandatory gear item, and definitely worth packing. Mushers design their own cookers but generally construction is simple and similar. The cookers are essentially three-gallon containers of welded aluminum or just a store bought aluminum cooking pot which is placed inside a slightly bigger welded box or pot. At the bottom of the larger vessel, the musher places a homemade wick of fiberglass insulation or other absorbent material. The larger vessel is vented so that air can fan the fire. To this, the musher pours several pints of alcohol fuel and then torches off the cooker. At night, the soft blue alcohol flame rises impressively around the stove.

Mushers prefer alcohol fuel because it burns hot and clean, and most importantly, does not explode like gasoline or white gas. Unlike diesel or gas, alcohol also has the added feature of not tainting the taste of the food. The well-designed cooker can melt about three gallons of water to a boil from snow, in about 20 to 30 minutes. I took one of these cookers along on a mountain climbing expedition and the climbers were very impressed with this simple way to melt large volumes of water.

As a practical matter, mushers usually design the cooker so it conveniently nests together and fits well in the sled bag. The cooker is used at every opportunity to provide the dogs with a wet and warm ration -a sure way to maintain the team.

This pic shows the cooker being lit, the inside looks like a roaster with fiberglass batting in it and a couple of handles/pot rack.

WhoooWhooooo!!!!!! Mister Krabs is a winner!!!! very well done, your the best.......

The photo, the explanation, all of it is just what we were looking for. A big Thank You!!!! goes out to you for your efforts.

PM me your address and I'll send out a stove . :)

Thanks to all for your efforts in this little challenge. Very rewarding it was. we learned alot.
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

oops56

Post by oops56 » Tue Jan 27, 2009 1:27 pm

Mister Krabs wrote:The cooker

Thanks Krabs the one in picture is a short one. we can make a small one fancy feast can down in a coffee can nice find
Man play with fire man get burnt

Mister Krabs

Post by Mister Krabs » Tue Jan 27, 2009 1:31 pm

Thanks Zelph, I use a heine pot, one of them heine top jetted cobalts would make my day!
pm sent

zelph

Post by zelph » Tue Jan 27, 2009 2:44 pm

Mister Krabs wrote:Thanks Zelph, I use a heine pot, one of them heine top jetted cobalts would make my day!
pm sent
Oops!!!! I gave that one away already, it was the only one :(

I'll see what else I have. :D

Pure Mahem

Post by Pure Mahem » Wed Jan 28, 2009 1:31 am

So is there anything inside the smaller pot/pan/can?

I took it you take a container drill holes all the way around it

Stuff it full of fiberglass insulation

insert smaller pot/pan/can

Is that right or am I confused here?

if you drill holes around the outside can doesn't the fuel leak out or do you drill the holes higher than the fuel level?

I'm confused my rocks aren't working so good! :mrgreen:
"Lad I don't know where you've been. But, I see you won first prize!"

Mister Krabs

Post by Mister Krabs » Wed Jan 28, 2009 12:02 pm

We got pictures of two different kinds,
Inside the inside pot is water.

It seems to me to be as if the windscreen and burner are one piece.

You could make it like a giant starlyte with integrated windscreen

If you made it with a 5 gallon bucket, you would drill holes an inch or two off the bottom, then drop fiberglass bat inside on the bottom. Pour in a couple bottles of heet and light.

If you used an actual 4 gallon stockpot to hold the water, you could just drop it in the 5 gallon bucket and it would be supported by the handles of the stockpot, no need for a pot rack.

Hmm, this is sounding like the perfect portable alcohol fired crawfish boil setup. :D

zelph

Post by zelph » Wed Jan 28, 2009 1:59 pm

Mister Krabs wrote:We got pictures of two different kinds,
Inside the inside pot is water.

It seems to me to be as if the windscreen and burner are one piece.

You could make it like a giant starlyte with integrated windscreen

If you made it with a 5 gallon bucket, you would drill holes an inch or two off the bottom, then drop fiberglass bat inside on the bottom. Pour in a couple bottles of heet and light.

If you used an actual 4 gallon stockpot to hold the water, you could just drop it in the 5 gallon bucket and it would be supported by the handles of the stockpot, no need for a pot rack.

Hmm, this is sounding like the perfect portable alcohol fired crawfish boil setup. :D
Your method sounds doable. Wrap the fiberglass bat with fiberglass cloth. If I remember right, fiberglass insulation deteriorates fast when exposed to open burning. In the original StarLyte the absorbing material was covered with fiberglass cloth to protect it. Now it's covered with rigid stainless steel screen to protect it.

This past saturday I had crawdads/crawfish at a local oriental restaurant. Tasty morsels they are. I used to seine for them in the local creeks and have a crawdad boil. we boiled up 10 gallons of them at a time in an oval wash tub, the kind with rigid handles on each end, they sure were yummy :D

Mister Krabs

Post by Mister Krabs » Wed Jan 28, 2009 3:41 pm

Yeah, this is taking shape in my head,

With a turkey fryer setup set down inside the cooker. It could be a crab/crawfish boiling machine with no need to lug the propane and burner.

Might take a lot of alcohol to boil so much water.

zelph

Post by zelph » Wed Jan 28, 2009 5:18 pm

The well-designed cooker can melt about three gallons of water to a boil from snow, in about 20 to 30 minutes.

I was able to boil 1 gallon of water with 3 ounces of fuel using the Fancee Feest.

See this thread , first post.

If you design the inside of the burner pot similar to the FF it might not be too bad on fuel consumption.

I think it was the FF that I used under a pressure cooker to do up some chicken. Neat little stove. I'm in the process of making up a batch to offer on eBay and here.

Update: It was the Ring of Fire stove that was used for the pressure cooker.

ImageImageImage