DIY SVEA ?

Post your new stove ideas here! All stoves welcome.
pengnatck

DIY SVEA ?

Post by pengnatck » Thu Feb 12, 2009 7:54 am

First post. Just trying to think out loud here. Went on a camping trip and a friend had a very old svea white gas stove he got for free. I had been experimenting with making a butane jet stove from copper pipe like JSB and was blown away with his old svea's workhorse capabilities. It just kept going and going. He boiled like 3 gallons of water in one evening. So now I'm thinking of making a self pressurizing white gas stove. I was thinking about using an empty 4 oz pro-butane can as a base with a threaded fuel fill on the side. I'm just having trouble figuring out how to attach a jet after I pop out the lindal valve. Any Ideas? Am I crazy? Just remember its all in good fun. let me know if you need pictures as an aid. p.s. Can you make/find different diameter jets somewhere?

oops56

Re: DIY SVEA ?

Post by oops56 » Thu Feb 12, 2009 8:04 am

pengnatck wrote:First post. Just trying to think out loud here. Went on a camping trip and a friend had a very old svea white gas stove he got for free. I had been experimenting with making a butane jet stove from copper pipe like JSB and was blown away with his old svea's workhorse capabilities. It just kept going and going. He boiled like 3 gallons of water in one evening. So now I'm thinking of making a self pressurizing white gas stove. I was thinking about using an empty 4 oz pro-butane can as a base with a threaded fuel fill on the side. I'm just having trouble figuring out how to attach a jet after I pop out the lindal valve. Any Ideas? Am I crazy? Just remember its all in good fun. let me know if you need pictures as an aid. p.s. Can you make/find different diameter jets somewhere?
There is more to it then you think not safe to mess with white gas just buy one.It can over heat and it need a pressure releave vavle etc. I know i got a shop full of white gas stoves
Man play with fire man get burnt

pengnatck

Post by pengnatck » Thu Feb 12, 2009 8:15 am

his was old and simple w/ no pressure release valve. he just screwed a jet/ air mixture tube/ flow regulator right on top. so simple. just dropped a bit of fuel on the outside to prime.

oops56

Post by oops56 » Thu Feb 12, 2009 8:40 am

pengnatck wrote:his was old and simple w/ no pressure release valve. he just screwed a jet/ air mixture tube/ flow regulator right on top. so simple. just dropped a bit of fuel on the outside to prime.
Well if i knew the model i could tell better all svea had a pressure releave vavle
Man play with fire man get burnt

zelph

Post by zelph » Thu Feb 12, 2009 11:35 am

pengnatck wrote:First post. I'm just having trouble figuring out how to attach a jet after I pop out the lindal valve. Any Ideas? Am I crazy? Just remember its all in good fun. let me know if you need pictures as an aid. p.s. Can you make/find different diameter jets somewhere?
We welcome you here "pengnatck" interesting 1st post. We know it's all in good fun :mrgreen: most stovies are cautiously crazy :lol: :lol:

Pop out the Lindal Valve and let us know how it's held in there.

You could drill and tap using the finest threads available to get a secure grip on a thin wall.
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

Ridgerunner

Post by Ridgerunner » Thu Feb 12, 2009 5:55 pm

Welcome pengnatck ! We're glad to have you aboard. Like Oops said, I believe all SVEA gas stoves have a pressure relief valve somewhere. I have about a dozen of them. What model did your friend have? Please be extremely careful as gasoline is like working with a stick of dynomite. ;) They could find you in the next county. :o I would just pick one up second hand at a flea market or ebay....much safer!
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

DarenN

Post by DarenN » Thu Feb 12, 2009 9:31 pm

welcome aboard, Pengnatck.
i've thought about what to do next in stove building, now that i've built hundreds of alcohol stoves and a few canister stoves. the obvious progression would be towards white gas, self-pressurized burners. i have the tools, equipment, materials, and the skills to do the work. but yet i shy away from going in that direction. i've seen what white gas will do when it gets out of control. it's very scarey. i don't even prime my Svea or Optimus #99 with white gas. i use alcohol. like Ridgerunner said, keep your eyes open for a used one, or, you can buy a brand new one from Campmor for 100 bucks.

Daren.......
"I'd rather be happy than right." Slartibartfast

pengnatck

Post by pengnatck » Thu Feb 12, 2009 9:35 pm

So zelph, here is the can with the valve popped out. I used a church key around the outside lip of the valve which was just curled over the lip on the can w/ a rubber washer in between. Then pinched out the valve w/ pliers.

{Woah sorry, I can't seem to control Image size, for some reason it's cut my image in half too}

This is starting to look a lot harder than I thought. I just thought it would be fun to try something that not a lot of people are doing. All I see is alcohol can stoves (which I have made a fair share) and I'm bored with those.

lite hiker

Post by lite hiker » Fri Feb 13, 2009 12:06 am

i would highly recommend staying as far away from homemade white gas stoves as you can. In a thread somewhere three are the pictures of what a super cat i filled with white gas looks like. I have also tried homemade stoves designed for white gas and they don't wok. I had one pop meaning the pressure got to high and the base can exploded out. It is basically gasoline. If you find a way to make a lite weight white gas stove congratulations but i learned my lesson and i hope you do't have to.
Ask a stupid question Get a stupid answer.

zelph

Post by zelph » Fri Feb 13, 2009 1:00 am

pengnatck wrote:So zelph, here is the can with the valve popped out. I used a church key around the outside lip of the valve which was just curled over the lip on the can w/ a rubber washer in between. Then pinched out the valve w/ pliers.

{Woah sorry, I can't seem to control Image size, for some reason it's cut my image in half too}

This is starting to look a lot harder than I thought. I just thought it would be fun to try something that not a lot of people are doing. All I see is alcohol can stoves (which I have made a fair share) and I'm bored with those.
The opening is huge!!!! yikes. Tell us more about a self pressurizing stove. What have you learned about them since you saw one being used on a hike.

Oops, what can you tell us about them.

How do you get them to get fuel up to the jet? What pressurizes them? sounds interesting. I always thought white gas stoves had to be pumped. What's the secret to these self pressurizing stoves.
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/