Kodak 35mmFilm Can Day Hiker

Post your new stove ideas here! All stoves welcome.
realityguy

Kodak 35mmFilm Can Day Hiker

Postby realityguy » Thu Feb 26, 2009 3:39 am

Old farts will still remember the old aluminum 35mm kodak film cans..these make a nice small container for making alcohol stoves..I've tried penny stoves and others with center tubes of 1/2" conduit,a little jb weld on the threads of the can and around the top of the conduit,screw the top on and cut an x across the center portion to fold it down inside the tube..Done!
The penny one is indented in the top with the penny lightly tapped down to seal better in the soft aluminum(sorry,not shown).
I haven't done any serious testing as far as times. 8 needle holes pushed around the inside lid perimeter is shown..
The outside is a simple Armour veinna sausage can with 1/8" holes around the lower perimeter up 1/4",with a small square section of mesh laid on the bottom and a mesh sleeve inside the perimeter of the can abourt 1/2" higher than the can..tight enough to lift it up and support the pot higher if needed.A second can fits on as a lid,holds the smallcan stove,a 1-2 ounce bottle of alcohol,a small tube of matches,and fits in the bay of a fanny pack.Usually use about 1/2 ounce of alcohol for 6-8 minute burn.boil 16 ounces of water?..don't remember but don't think it did..I use it for day hiles to make cocoa at the destination using about a 10 ounce v shaped cup..just about boils in 5-6 minutes or so..no real tests done other than drinking the cocoa or using it with a mellita #2 coffee filter holder over a cup and a prefilled folded filter coffee load we take along.
The cans are available on ebay all the time at about $6-8 for 1/2 a dozen cans.

Sorry,no fancy video either..LOL!..Just an idea for another nice smaller container for easily making pocket sized stoves...
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

irrationalsolutions

Re: Kodak 35mmFilm Can Day Hiker

Postby irrationalsolutions » Thu Feb 26, 2009 3:48 am

it looks cool. i'm going to have to read it again tomorrow. i think i finally need some sleep.
“Do or do not... there is NO try.” Yoda

Luke "Whats in (out) there?" Yoda "Only what you take with you."

Luke "I can’t believe it." Yoda "That is why you Fail.”

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Thu Feb 26, 2009 4:05 am

I'm rounding up parts for a "spam-can set" for using two at once if more heat is needed.Sometimes I'll load two ..when one burns out,set the other in and fire it up quick..just something small and compact.The penny one burns longer and lower with the center covered..The center of that one isn't punched out,just four pinholes in it.
<p>I'm wondering if anyone here has some posts/threads about testing different shape pots to see if a' V' bottom heats faster with heat on more surface area..(???)..seems to help over these small cans...just wondering.
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Thu Feb 26, 2009 4:07 am

One thing I forgot,the center tube does have a couple filed Vs in the bottom edge for better alcohol flow.

Ridgerunner

Postby Ridgerunner » Thu Feb 26, 2009 7:33 am

Excellent job realityguy. The film cannisters crossed my mind a year ago and I pmentioned using them in a thread but never aquired one to give it a try. Thanks for doing it for. Looks great.
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

hoz

Postby hoz » Thu Feb 26, 2009 7:57 am

I tried to find a couple of those film cans about 6 months ago. The guy at the camera store said he hasn't seen them in years. Where do you get yours?

zelph

Postby zelph » Thu Feb 26, 2009 11:03 am

Nice set-up realityguy. I like the Vienna Sausage container as your storage container, small and sturdy. I'll see if I can find the thread that an indented bottom pot was tested and had negative results. Thanks for the photos, love the photos. :)

Edit: found a link toindented bottom pot
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Thu Feb 26, 2009 12:53 pm

As far as the film containers..I see them on ebay all the time,people selling 6 or more at a time to get over the shipping hump.I only had three or four(since I also build,restore,and collect cameras) around here so used those up.I no longer buy OR sell on ebay because of their new crappy format and paypal required..I want talk anymore more about that nonsense.
The 'V'd cookpot.I'm not talking about an "indent,just the opposite..guess i should have been clearer on that.I have a cone shape cup(skinny end down) with a lid that seems to heat up quicker because the flames cover more of the surface area,especially using smaller stoves with the flames rolling out across the bottom of the pot and up the sides,no corners to go around..I was wondering if someone has done some testing on those verses flatter surfaces...

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Thu Feb 26, 2009 1:07 pm

Sorry about the double posting..loading up pictures for clarification.This picture shows the coned cup(12 oz?) and my double spam can stove setup.The wife recently emptied another for the lid that will slip over the mesh(bless her heart..LOL!)
<p>I don't want to stray too much off topic but has anyone tried one of these teapots with the insertable strainers for coffee,just got that at the thrift store for $2,.I figure if it's too coarse of a screen I can slip in a preloaded paper filter.

zelph

Postby zelph » Thu Feb 26, 2009 1:40 pm

I firmly believe the cone would heat more efficiently than flat. I did heat water in a bowl shaped pot on my little kerosene stoves when I was proto typing them. I have not conducted comparison tests on two pots of wqual surface area. Interest to see results if anyone conducts such tests. I don't suspect there there would be a significant difference to warrant going to a cone or bowl shape. Someone starting out new may want to use the cone shape initially.

Nice idea the strainer in a pot combo. Looks like a good way to steam cook fish and veggies while heating water for meals etc.

Pot is a 2 cup stainless steel bowl purchased at the thrift store for 30 cents. It's shape may heat better than straight up sides???

http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

Return to “Homemade Stove Ideas”