Kodak 35mmFilm Can Day Hiker

Post your new stove ideas here! All stoves welcome.
realityguy

Re: Kodak 35mmFilm Can Day Hiker

Post by realityguy » Thu Feb 26, 2009 4:54 pm

I'm thinking you are actually using more of the heat since it rises.Once it leaves the surface of the pan,it's wasted.If it travels farther across the surface it's using more of the residual heat from the flame..just my thoughts.
The pot with the center strainer is a nice unit..I figured coffee(with the strainer) would be it's main purpose AND boiling water without the strainer inside(lid fits over just the hole)..weighs 9 oz,holds about 30-32 oz,5-1/2" across..spout pours a little slower than it should,might flow out the main hole and spill more,only problem I see other than weight.The bottom is flat in the middle even with the bottom of the pot but has rounded portions that go up about 3/8" on the edges and then comes back down to the bottom level of the pot on the edges..with my thoughts above..possible heat trap?Put out by "EV" if anybody wants one.
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

Ridgerunner

Post by Ridgerunner » Thu Feb 26, 2009 8:02 pm

I have a similar aluminum kettle with coffee screen made by Coleman years ago. Please tell me your "Sierra Cup" (v-pot) did not come with the lid and you found a lid that works :lol: I've never seen a lid for the Sierra Cup. As far a efficiency goes comparing the v-cup to a flat pot, i would think there would be many variables, including pot diameter, flame pattern, amount of water, etc. For example, I would think that a pot having a 10" diameter would boil a cup of water faster than the sierra cup with a cup of water depending on the flame source. A few years back, I saw a one cup backpacking kettle that was flat like a disc with a whisle spout handle. Being flat and wide seems to me would boil water quicker. JMO. Wish I would have bought that darn kettle. Never seen another like it. :roll:
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

realityguy

Post by realityguy » Thu Feb 26, 2009 9:25 pm

I think I bought that cup at goodwill for a buck..and picked through their pot lids for the lightest,tightest one I could find..for another buck..I've bought a LOT of camp cookware lately..too much!Eventually I'll take a couple test hikes and see exactly what I need to keep and get rid of.I've stacked different combos several times.Figure about 4 cubic feet of nested "stuff" in bins like that from nalgenes,cookpots,cups,plastic storage bottles,containers of all shapes and sizes,plastic sporks,etc.I'm think of using the Foodsaver a lot for flexible storage compartments for food and spices,instead of hard containers where I can...I also added a couple more hydration packs yesterday (why would someone need 5 or 6?)LOL!
<p>Will that all fit in a golite backpack? :o .... :lol:
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

Pure Mahem

Post by Pure Mahem » Fri Feb 27, 2009 12:01 am

You can always put anything you don't want in a box and set it aside until it get full, and then mail it to me I will gladly find them a new home! :mrgreen:
"Lad I don't know where you've been. But, I see you won first prize!"