Jet Boil Cup

Post your new stove ideas here! All stoves welcome.
zelph

Jet Boil Cup

Post by zelph » Tue Sep 25, 2007 10:15 pm

The design of the Jet Boil Cup is interesting. It's their claim to fame in the performance of their system.

Those of you that have the cup are willing to make a series of tests, right?

Use your best alcohol stove and pot(same diameter bottom as Jet boil) to boil 2 cups of water. Do it under optimum conditions that are repeatable. Test it 3 times. Record your findings.

Next, use the same stove but use the Jet Boil cup as your pot. Use the same conditions as the first three tests.

What are your results?

What is every ones guess as to the results. Will the J B Pot have much faster boil times or just so so? Or the same?

My guess is so so!!!

These photos were taken this year in Maryland when I was on vacation. I needed to see what the cup base was made of. Take a look.

http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

oops56

Re: Jet Boil Cup

Post by oops56 » Tue Sep 25, 2007 11:53 pm

On mine jet boil the stove i made does not work on a pot and a stove that use a pot will not work under the jet boil i been on this for two nighs. It work on a svea a coleman stove some other stove that can hold it up higher.Lets put it this way any stove with 1/2 oz. fuel both same o. d. same amount water that work for me.Dam why so late i was going to make a new type alcohol stove.I was thinking of going to bed early ok i do it sleep late :idea: :idea:
Man play with fire man get burnt

oops56

Post by oops56 » Wed Sep 26, 2007 12:47 am

Ok i just did it both stoves 1/2 oz. fuel water temp 75f. The left one no boil got 180f in5 min and burn time 5 min.
On the right 1/2 fuel water temp 75F 5 min. 190F 6 min. full boil burn time7 min.
Now the wire screen one was a Little short and a little big not a good flame going to make new try again let you know on it later.
Ben working on number 2 stove to get it better and run hotter no luck. I am going to start all over try different stoves i get it watch

zelph

Post by zelph » Wed Sep 26, 2007 10:03 am

Alright!!!!! You're awake by now. Yor head is clear and ready for anew day :)

Use the military trangia and cross pot support that you show in this photo::

Take the bottom part of your Jet Boil pot off and set it directly on the cross pot support of the trangia.

Now use the same trangia and pot suport with a different pot of the same diameter of the Jet Boil or close to it.

Use 1 ounce of fuel in the trangia for each test. After a test empty what's remaining in the burner and refill with 1 ounce.

We're only interested in the pots and how they compare. Wanting to know if the fins on the Jet Boil help a whole lot.

That's a hot avatar oops!!! Is that Tom Hanks makin fire?

oops56

Post by oops56 » Wed Sep 26, 2007 10:57 am

:lol: :lol: Yep thats tom hanks got picture off tv.The stove with the cross piece works on the jet boil but does not hit the fins it works same time boil on this and regular pot. I am still try more stove as of now only one fits the bill later going to be a long day might as well cook something not wast water

zelph

Post by zelph » Wed Sep 26, 2007 11:41 am

oops56 wrote::lol: :lol: Yep thats tom hanks got picture off tv.The stove with the cross piece works on the jet boil but does not hit the fins it works same time boil on this and regular pot. I am still try more stove as of now only one fits the bill later going to be a long day might as well cook something not wast water
Wow!!! first try says Jet Boil fins make no difference. I did'nt expect that!!!

I test stoves before I wash dishes, save the hot water for the dishes :D (pre soak)

Making fire with a hand drill was the highlight of the movie. Made my hands hurt looking at Hanks all bandaged and bleeding. good Movie!!!!

oops56

Post by oops56 » Wed Sep 26, 2007 11:44 am

This is the last test i am not sure if i coming or going at this point.
Both have same o. d. the pot alum. is thicker then the jet boil keep that in mind.
Both stoves same make and model .The right had to make taller to work on the fins.
Water temp 74F
Left pot 3-1/2 min.burn water 170F at 5 min. flame out at 5 min. 192F
Jet boil 3-1/2 min. burn 155F at 5 min. boil flame out at5-1/2 min.
Thats it good for me must move on got idea now stove

zelph

Post by zelph » Wed Sep 26, 2007 11:50 am

oops56 wrote:This is the last test i am not sure if i coming or going at this point.
Both have same o. d. the pot alum. is thicker then the jet boil keep that in mind.
Both stoves same make and model .The right had to make taller to work on the fins.
Water temp 74F
Thanks alot for doing those test oops.

Got some good results there.

Looking forward to your new stove. :)

oops56

Post by oops56 » Wed Sep 26, 2007 12:06 pm

zelph wrote:
oops56 wrote:This is the last test i am not sure if i coming or going at this point.
Water temp 74F

Dont forget a canister puts out more btu then alcohol

zelph

Post by zelph » Wed Sep 26, 2007 2:34 pm

oops56 wrote:
zelph wrote:
Water temp 74F

Dont forget a canister puts out more btu then alcohol
Yes, we have to keep that in mind.

Let's take this testing one step further if you don't mind, Stovie ;)

Remove the jet boil pot from its holding ring. Put the ring on the jet boil stove and then attach the stove to canister. Now put your aluminum pot of water on the jet boil stove and fire it up.(use the pot on the left hand side in the photo) See what happens.