"Glass Stove" You Knew It was Comming

Post your new stove ideas here! All stoves welcome.
zelph

"Glass Stove" You Knew It was Comming

Postby zelph » Thu Oct 04, 2007 6:31 pm

It was only a matter of time!!!!!

I'm working on some glass stove prototypes. I'm using borosilicate glass beakers.

Read more about borosilicate glass here : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Borosilicate_glass

Most glassware used in laboratories is made of borosilicate glass, due partly to how little it warps when exposed to heat, hence its ability to provide accurate measurements of volume over time.

During the mid-twentieth century borosilicate glass tubing was used to pipe coolants (often distilled water) through high power vacuum tube–based electronic equipment, such as commercial broadcast transmitters.

Glass cookware is another common usage; a borosilicate glass pie plate is almost the American standard pie dish. Borosilicate glass measuring cups, which featured painted-on markings illustrating graduated measurements, are also widely used in American kitchens.

Aquarium heaters are sometimes made out of borosilicate glass. Due to its high heat resistance, it can tolerate the great temperature differences between water and the nichrome heating element.

Many high quality flashlights, such as those made by Surefire, use borosilicate glass for the lens. This allows for a higher percentage of light transmittance through the lens than compared to plastics and lower-quality glass.

Specialty marijuana pipes (commonly sold as tobacco pipes for reasons of legality) are made from borosilicate glass. The high heat resistance allows the pipe to tolerate a longer period of use, and these pipes are also more durable.

Most premanufactured glass guitar slides are also made of borosilicate glass.

New lampworking techniques led to artistic applications such as contemporary glass marbles. The modern glass art movement, spurred largely by the rapid development of a borosilicate color palette at Northstar Glass in the 1980s and 1990s, has provided vast economic growth for borosilicate glass suppliers. Borosilicate is commonly used in the glassblowing form of lampworking and the artists create a range of products ranging from jewelry, kitchenware, to sculpture as well as for the previously mentioned artistic glass "tobacco" pipes.

Borosilicate glass is sometimes used for high-quality beverage glassware; Bodum, Inc. markets a line of French coffee presses and double-walled beverage glasses made of borosilicate, lending them increased durability and microwave/dishwasher compatibility.

Most astronomical reflecting telescope glass mirror components are made of borosilicate glass due to the low coefficient of expansion due to heat. This makes very precise optical surfaces possible that change very little with temperature, and matched glass mirror components that "track" across temperature changes and retain the optical system's characteristics. Borosilicate glass is not used for high quality lenses due to striations and inclusions common to this type of glass.

Borosilicate is also a material of choice for evacuated tube solar thermal technology, due to its high strength and heat resistance.

Here is one photo for now, more next week. Will do testing over the weekend.

Image It has fused lines that mark how much fuel you put into it. We hear that question often, how do you measure the amount of fuel you put in the stove?.
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

zelph

Re: "Glass Stove" You Knew It was Comming

Postby zelph » Wed Oct 10, 2007 1:34 pm

Here are a few photos of the stove using a three point suspension system for the pot holder.

The stove is completely made of durable high temp boroscilicate glass.

The center portion of the stove is lit and after a min the jets start to ignite. During this warmup period the pot of water is heating also. No wasted priming heat.

As my testing continues I'll use a glass pot also to boil the water.

I've done some drop tests on a wooden floor to simulate the use of the stove in a shelter environment. The stove(beaker only) was dropped from chest high 10 times without breaking.

I'll do some boil tests to get time and fuel usage.

Start at the bottom photo and work your way up. It is the sequence of my taking of the photos. See the jets bloom in progression.

Image Notice there is a central flame coming off the stove at all times to heat water.

Image 50ml capacity beaker with graduations marked on side of container.

Mags

Postby Mags » Thu Oct 11, 2007 12:17 pm

There will be no stone throwing with these glass stoves I imagine? ;)
The true harvest of my life is intangible.... a little stardust caught, a portion of the rainbow I have clutched
--Thoreau
http://www.pmags.com
http://www.redbubble.com/people/pmags/art

zelph

Postby zelph » Fri Oct 12, 2007 1:49 pm

I boiled water with 12ml of fuel(no time taken)

Used a 2 cup pyrex pot/bowl

View the photos from the bottom upward.

I think I'll use the glass pot to view the different flame pattern of the different stoves. It's kinda cool to look inside the pot and see down into your stove. Some stoves have little jet holes located away from the outer rim of the stove. Now I'll be able to see if those little jets are actually burning when the pot is on the stand.

Image Bam! Bam!Bam! the true boil. Hard to get the camera to show bursting bubbles. I got a little too close and fogged the lens after I took the next photo. :roll:

Image Gettin better and hotter. About one more min. and it's going to boil. Can you feel it gettin hotter by looking at the photos? ;)

Image Streams of bubbles are now in good form.

Image Alot of folks want to know if these bubles constitute a boil. We can show them these photos and tell them NO, just a little longer wait. Note the next photo above shows the little bubbles have almost dissapeared and little streams of bubbles are starting to appear.

Image You can see the flame from the 3 jets and also the ring of fire around the rim of the glass burner. As you move upward, the photos show bubble formation and the progression of bubbles into streams of bubbles as the water gets hotter and finally when it gets to a full boil. Just as it started to boil, stove ran out of fuel.

zelph

Postby zelph » Wed Apr 09, 2008 3:55 pm

Hey allen check out this design in the above post, three wicks, adjustable, and has a tripod potstand. wonder where tiny gets his ideas :mrgreen:

GrinchMT

Postby GrinchMT » Fri Apr 11, 2008 1:31 am

About 3 weeks ago me and the kid stuck a piece of wick in a test tube, filled with some alcohol, then stretched some silicone tubing over the wick and the lip of the test tube... Lit it up and away we went. ;)

Your idea is infinitely better.
"The best remedy for those who are afraid, lonely or unhappy is to go outside, somewhere where they can be quiet, alone with the heavens, nature and God…I firmly believe that nature brings solace in all troubles." --- Anne Frank

zelph

Postby zelph » Fri Apr 11, 2008 10:39 am

GrinchMT wrote:About 3 weeks ago me and the kid stuck a piece of wick in a test tube, filled with some alcohol, then stretched some silicone tubing over the wick and the lip of the test tube... Lit it up and away we went. ;)

Your idea is infinitely better.

GrinchMT, did you view the progressive bubble photos? It was totaly interesting to see how the bubbles progress in a glass pot. Had to share that because many , on other forums ask what is a true boil. these photos show the progression of the boil.

GrinchMT

Postby GrinchMT » Fri Apr 11, 2008 7:57 pm

Yes it was a nice photo shoot. I have learned to use the term rolling boil when describing how I measure my boil times.
"The best remedy for those who are afraid, lonely or unhappy is to go outside, somewhere where they can be quiet, alone with the heavens, nature and God…I firmly believe that nature brings solace in all troubles." --- Anne Frank

Allen

Postby Allen » Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:38 pm

zelph wrote:Hey allen check out this design in the above post, three wicks, adjustable, and has a tripod potstand. wonder where tiny gets his ideas :mrgreen:

That's a cool Stove!

Thanks zeplh :)

zelph

Postby zelph » Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:41 pm

I bumped this one up so ridebks could see it :D He did a video of a dome stove that had 3 nails supporting the pot.

Return to “Homemade Stove Ideas”