One Can Pressurized Side Burner Stove

Post your new stove ideas here! All stoves welcome.
hplar

One Can Pressurized Side Burner Stove

Postby hplar » Thu Jun 11, 2009 11:38 am

This is my first post here in the forums although I have been lurking for what seems like years now...

This is a design I have been playing with for a while now and decided to post it here because I haven't seen the design elsewhere... As the topic name implies, this is a pressurized side burner that can be constructed from a single can... I have built both 12 and 24 ounce versions... One nice feature is that it also works as a pot stand... In fact, a 12oz version works great for heating a 24oz beer can pot because the 24oz sits right in the 12oz opening... A 24oz version works great for mugs and pots... I'm still working on sizing for the 24oz version because I'd like to be able to fill it with 2oz of fuel for extended cooking sessions...

It may not be evident from the pictures but the tops are triple layered... This was achieved by having the inner section inserted so there is about a 1/4 inch of outer section extending above it and then using homemade fluting pliers to flute the outer lip inward... I can then work the lip down a bit and then use a can bottom or other methods to roll the lip down flush with the inner section... I then use a rounded dowel or a Sharpie marker to rub the flutes out to make the seam flush... I always use fluting pliers because I can't stand having a kink between the upper and lower sections...

I have several other one can designs that also work well and have good burn and time to boil performance in my growing collection...

I'm hoping to be able to document the construction process in the near future as well as providing performance information... The 24oz burner was tested the other day and bloomed without priming in about a minute, boiled 2 cups of 60 degree water in just under 4 minutes, and continued the boiled for another minute... So it was about a 6 minute burn on 1oz of "ethanol"... That test was far from scientific...

oops56

Re: One Can Pressurized Side Burner Stove

Postby oops56 » Thu Jun 11, 2009 12:17 pm

[quote="hplar"]This is my first post here in the forums although I have been lurking for what seems like years now...

quote]

Welcome Hplar glad to have you join us that stove idea looks great i must try that thanks for showing it
Man play with fire man get burnt

zelph

Postby zelph » Thu Jun 11, 2009 1:24 pm

Hi hplar and welcome to the forum. You have a very interesting design there. Made from 1 can, that's sweet.

Show us a photo of a whole can. I'm interested to see what the top of the can looks like.

It's nice how you rolled of the top edge of the can. Your flutes must be very small and close together. Nice work!!!

Do you punch the side jets before assembly? The reason I ask is the walls look close together at the point where the jets are.

When you get some scientific testing done enter the stove in our Stove Of The Month Club forum. I'll withdraw my entry :D

Thanks for sharing your design with us. Always good to see someone is still interested in making their own stoves. Yours looks like a winner.
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

irrationalsolutions

Postby irrationalsolutions » Thu Jun 11, 2009 2:05 pm

welcome and nice stove!
“Do or do not... there is NO try.” Yoda

Luke "Whats in (out) there?" Yoda "Only what you take with you."

Luke "I can’t believe it." Yoda "That is why you Fail.”

Ridgerunner

Postby Ridgerunner » Thu Jun 11, 2009 5:38 pm

Welcome hplar !!! Nice looking stove...something a little different than the rest. ;)
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

hplar

Postby hplar » Thu Jun 11, 2009 8:02 pm

Thanks for the kind words, guys... The 12oz can is just a generic Mountain Dew can and the 24 oz is a Milwaukee's Best Ice can... The trick is to only cut the center section out, leaving the drip trough intact... Once the top section is flipped over you then have a groove for the inner wall to set in... The bottom of the inner wall has notches in it for fuel transfer in standard fashion...

I made my fluting pliers by super gluing short lengths of heavy wire or finishing nail (I've used both successfully) onto regular plier jaws... Darn...!!! Just went to take some pictures of the pliers only to find that one of the jaws has come off... I'll just tear them apart and see if I can take a couple of pictures of the rebuild...

And, lest I forget, the holes are made after assembly so they can be made above the inner throat opening level... There's actually over a quarter inch of space between the walls on the 24oz... If the holes require enlargement I just angle the needle at a downward angle so as to miss the inner wall or use a bigger needle... The 32 jets are rather small compared to some of my stoves... Slow and easy is the way to go... To be honest, the 24oz was a rush job so the top edge and side jets aren't nearly as straight as I'd have liked...

oops56

Postby oops56 » Thu Jun 11, 2009 8:56 pm

hplar wrote:Thanks for the kind words, guys... The 12oz can is just a generic Mountain Dew can and the 24 oz is a Milwaukee's Best Ice can... The trick is to only cut the center section out, leaving the drip trough intact... Once the top section is flipped over you then have a groove for the inner wall to set in... The bottom of the inner wall has notches in it for fuel transfer in standard fashion...

I made my fluting pliers by super gluing short lengths of heavy wire or finishing nail (I've used both successfully) onto regular plier jaws... Darn...!!! Just went to take some pictures of the pliers only to find that one of the jaws has come off... I'll just tear them apart and see if I can take a couple of pictures of the rebuild...

And, lest I forget, the holes are made after assembly so they can be made above the inner throat opening level... There's actually over a quarter inch of space between the walls on the 24oz... If the holes require enlargement I just angle the needle at a downward angle so as to miss the inner wall or use a bigger needle... The 32 jets are rather small compared to some of my stoves... Slow and easy is the way to go... To be honest, the 24oz was a rush job so the top edge and side jets aren't nearly as straight as I'd have liked...

dam i forgot my magnifying glass to look :lol:
Man play with fire man get burnt

zelph

Postby zelph » Fri Jun 12, 2009 9:12 am

It's been awhile since I cut the top off a dew can :) I'll do that today so I can get a better idea of how your stove is made. The dew can stove looks like its made of more than one can for some reason, thats why I need to cut a dew can up :mrgreen:

Clever way to make a fluting pliers. I saw a pair of scissors in a magazine yesterday that would make a good pair. I'll see if I can google it up to get a photo.

zelph

Postby zelph » Fri Jun 12, 2009 12:39 pm

Here is a pair of scissors that could be used for multiple flutes on one pass. $8.00 on the web. $6 in the catalog that I originall saw them in. All you have to do is dull the blade tips to whatever size flute you wanted. It seems logical that it would work. :idea: :mrgreen:

lite hiker

Postby lite hiker » Fri Jun 12, 2009 2:14 pm

nice stove. this is giving me some ideas
Ask a stupid question Get a stupid answer.

Return to “Homemade Stove Ideas”