One Can Pressurized Side Burner Stove

Post your new stove ideas here! All stoves welcome.
hplar

Re: One Can Pressurized Side Burner Stove

Postby hplar » Fri Jun 19, 2009 11:42 pm

Sure, I guess if the design is worthy of entry into the stove of the month competition, I'm game...

However, you guys aren't gonna believe this but I've already butchered that particular stove... I had a gut feeling that the can top wasn't pushed down far enough due to how much of the transfer ports were showing... I'd used what I thought was plenty of force when assembling but I think a burr must have kept things from seating properly... A light poke at the lower ring caused it to drop to where it should have been from the start, creating a substantial gap... Unfortunately, because the stove have been used I was unable to make the fix I tried so now it's scrap... I rarely modify or scrap a stove once made but this was an exception...

Now I'm going to either use the16oz can I have here or I'll get a Mtn Dew can... I've got a box full of working stoves and only a couple that are scrap... One of these days I'll have to take pictures of the collection I have amassed over the years...

hplar

Postby hplar » Sat Jun 20, 2009 6:00 pm

Well, I made another stove using a 16oz Bud Light can and the added height sure helps... Not only does the added height allow for a taller stove but the aluminum seems thicker as well, but not as thick as 24oz cans... Due to the additional can to work with I was able to make this stove about 5/8" taller then the last one... Total height of this stove is 2"...

A few items to note... Having only about 1/8" of side wall left on the top helps eliminate to possibility of ending up with a kink bulge that will require coaxing smooth... The same goes for the fluted seam - 1/4" causes problems while 1/8" can be worked into a very smooth seam...

It was a welcome break from dealing with neighborhood flooding... Now I just need to test the stove...

EDIT:

I just did an initial test of the stove with 1oz alcohol of an unknown percent and 2 cups tap water in a SS saucepan... The side jets bloomed at 1:00, water was boiling by 7:30 and total burn was 11:00... I'm sure the times would be better with Heet or S-L-X aside from possibly a lower total burn time... Dropping the overall height by 1/4" would probably improve performance and should still allow for a 2oz fuel charge...

zelph

Postby zelph » Sun Jun 21, 2009 1:50 pm

I made the transfere :D

I had a gut feeling that the can top wasn't pushed down far enough due to how much of the transfer ports were showing... I'd used what I thought was plenty of force when assembling but I think a burr must have kept things from seating properly..

Transfer ports are not necessary.

Once the stove blooms and burns for a bit to heat up, how does it respond to a cold pot of water being put onto it? Do the flames almost go out?
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

hplar

Postby hplar » Sun Jun 21, 2009 1:59 pm

zelph wrote:I made the transfere :D

Transfer ports are not necessary.

Once the stove blooms and burns for a bit to heat up, how does it respond to a cold pot of water being put onto it? Do the flames almost go out?

Thanks, zelph...

No, I haven't had that problem with this design, but have with others... I'd like to think it's due to there being three layers of aluminum at the upper edge but I can't say for certain... The transfer ports are just an old habit...

One additional note... I was able to smooth out the rough seam after the first burn which must have annealed the aluminum enough to be worked down without memory causing it to spring back up in spots...

zelph

Postby zelph » Sun Jun 21, 2009 2:13 pm

There is a video or photo of a V chaped 1/4" dia rod that is place on top of a side jet burner to prevent the cold pot from having an effect on the flames. Now if that is true, we should not have to worry about uneven crimps on the top edge of stoves. )That rod sure would play havoc on fuel consumption though( :o

Self annealing, I like that. It probably did happen.

hplar

Postby hplar » Sun Jun 21, 2009 2:51 pm

zelph wrote:There is a video or photo of a V chaped 1/4" dia rod that is place on top of a side jet burner to prevent the cold pot from having an effect on the flames. Now if that is true, we should not have to worry about uneven crimps on the top edge of stoves. )That rod sure would play havoc on fuel consumption though( :o

Self annealing, I like that. It probably did happen.

Here is how I resolved that cooling problem on another one-can design... I've made quite a few of these in different configurations... Another example of where fluting helps with assembly and then smoothed after the first burn...

zelph

Postby zelph » Sun Jun 21, 2009 7:20 pm

Nice, that looks like it would be a million times beter than a 1/4 inch rod.

The annealing looks good on that one also. Nice!!!

B4B

Postby B4B » Sun Jun 28, 2009 8:10 pm

zelph wrote:Here is a pair of scissors that could be used for multiple flutes on one pass. $8.00 on the web. $6 in the catalog that I originall saw them in. All you have to do is dull the blade tips to whatever size flute you wanted. It seems logical that it would work. :idea: :mrgreen:

Instead of dulling all those blades, you might try to just remove the center screw, and reverse the handle / blades... if you're lazy like me. That might work.

zelph

Postby zelph » Mon Jun 29, 2009 10:01 am

Instead of dulling all those blades, you might try to just remove the center screw, and reverse the handle / blades... if you're lazy like me. That might work.

I'm lazy like you :mrgreen: Good idea, looks doable.

zelph

Postby zelph » Tue Apr 26, 2011 10:33 am

Just wanted to bump this thread up for it's original poster.

Return to “Homemade Stove Ideas”