One Can Pressurized Side Burner Stove

Post your new stove ideas here! All stoves welcome.
realityguy

Re: One Can Pressurized Side Burner Stove

Postby realityguy » Fri Jun 12, 2009 6:27 pm

Nice stove..wondering about the inner wall..got a couple folds in that one to make it the smaller diameter?..or am I missing something... :?:
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

hplar

Postby hplar » Fri Jun 12, 2009 7:38 pm

Well, I hunted around the house and couldn't find s single un-butchered can to work with but I was able to flute some scrap aluminum with my repaired fluting pliers... These were some quick flutes and they look much more uniform when I'm crimping actual can sections... You have to get a feel for depth of bite and the amount of squeeze you put into the pliers... When fluting cans I keep the double flute jaw on the inside of the can and the single flute on the outside...

@realityguy...

The top of the inner wall is the inverted can top... The bottom inner wall is just a strip of aluminum can that sits in the grooves in the top and bottom of the can... I guess I need to scrounge a can so I can show the parts before assembly...

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Fri Jun 12, 2009 8:14 pm

No problem..In just wondered if you fluted both top and bottom of the inner wall for the smaller diameter..or folded a section(of the inner wall) to make it that way..Your pictures didn't show either..why I asked..

The main reason I asked is that in making popcan stovest that have an inner wall about the only thing I've seen (or method I used myself)is usually to fold the inner can wall to decrease the diameter which makes them very brittle at the fold point.If you can make the diameter work better by fluting the top and bottom of the inner wall..rather than making the entire thing a smaller diameter..and make it fit ..and work..is an improvement over what is out there.... :mrgreen:
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

zelph

Postby zelph » Sat Jun 13, 2009 12:18 am

Oh Yes!!! your fluter looks good. Do you use one flute to position for the next flute? Yours look evenly spaced. The fluter sure does a good job on making the inward roll on the top edge.
I still have not cut up a dew can yet to get an idea of what it looks like inside the can. :roll:
I'm tied up working on a big remodle of the interior of my camper. I tried to go fishing yesterday but the mosquitos would'nt let me near the waters edge. :mrgreen: :(

Oh ya, is the stove 3 pieces or two? Never mind :o It's 3, now I remembered, duhhhh :mrgreen:
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

hplar

Postby hplar » Sat Jun 13, 2009 10:22 am

Yes, zelph, I use the back edge flute resting where the front edge flute was previously to keep a uniform edge... Doing that, plus consistent depth, can yield a fluted edge that looks like it was machine made...

And, yes, three pieces... You don't need to cut the Dew can to see how it's used... When you look at the top of the can you'll see the slobber trough (scientific term)... You cut inside that trough, leaving it intact... I use a knife to make four cuts from the can opening to the inner edge of the trough, score around where I want the pieces to break off, and then bend those pieces up and down until the break away cleanly...

zelph

Postby zelph » Sat Jun 13, 2009 10:34 pm

I've been staring at the stove photos and now have a better idea how it's made. :lol:

Thanks hplar for the photos of the fluter and fluted parts. That's a handy little DIY tool. I'm sure a lot of folks will find it in themselves to make one for their own use.

hplar

Postby hplar » Fri Jun 19, 2009 8:10 pm

Ok, I scrounged a couple cans while out for an evening walk so I decided to take a few pictures of the assembly process... Man, 12oz beer cans sure are a lot thinner than pop cans which makes them harder to work with... Anyway, the only thing missing here is the actual fluting and seaming process... For anyone attempting to make one of these stoves, I'd recommend using either a 16oz or 24oz can because you don't get much extra can when using a single 12oz can...

Here are the parts dimensions as best as I can recall... The inner wall, made from the can top, was 1" tall... The outer wall, made from the can bottom, was about 1.675" tall before fluting and seaming... The lower inner wall, where the fuel goes, was 1/2" tall... If I would have used a 16oz can I could have made a larger fuel reservoir as well as a bit more aluminum for fluting and seaming...

The raw beer can.

The top cut off the can.

The center of the can top removed - top view.

The center of the can top removed - bottom view.

The parts ready for assembly. Note the lower inner wall resting in the grove left in the can top.

The parts assembled and fully seated. I drew a marker line where the inverted can top sits about 1/8" below the outer wall.

Here the outer wall has been fluted down to where the inner wall ended, the fluted portion has been coaxed inward and downward, and has been smoothed out to form an air tight seam.

After measuring to assure that the flame jets will be positioned above the shoulder of the inner wall, 5/8" down from the top edge, 32 holes were made using a sewing needle. By angling down at 45 degrees as soon as the hole is started you can get a bigger hole without piercing the inner wall. The stove is ready for it's maiden burn.

I had less than an ounce of 90 percent ethanol onhand to do a quick test... The jets bloomed within 30 seconds... A saucepan filled with 16oz of tap water, without a lid, came to a boil in under 5 minutes but only continued to boil for about 30 seconds... The saucepan made a perfect seal when using the stove as a pot stand...

Another successful build...

zelph

Postby zelph » Fri Jun 19, 2009 10:00 pm

Absolutely fantastic!!!! The photos, outstanding. :D

Your design is worthy of entry into The Stove Of The Month Club.

If you'ld like I can move this thread over to the forum and leave a copy of here.

I'm amazed how well the top edge has been formed due to your DIY fluter. You're quite the craftsman, well done. :DBfire: Thanks for sharing your talents ;)

Ridgerunner

Postby Ridgerunner » Fri Jun 19, 2009 10:49 pm

Great pics, hplar. I have a much better understanding of the construction process now. The fluted edge looks great ! ;)
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

DarenN

Postby DarenN » Fri Jun 19, 2009 11:07 pm

yep! nice metal working there. and i'd know! ;) :mrgreen: good job!! :D
"I'd rather be happy than right." Slartibartfast

Return to “Homemade Stove Ideas”